RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 06:03 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroslamme
You should try to get your hands on the earlier model factory floor mats, a lot thicker and heavier than the current ones. I bought them back in early 2010, still looks brand new. The Lexus service folks always try to remove and replace them with the new flimsier models, its to a point where I remove them prior to taking the car in for service.
One consideration is that the location and type of retaining clip for floor mats changed in the 2013 refresh. The 2010-12 use the older separate clip version (like on p424 of this 2010 manual), whereas 2013+ have the newer clip built into the RX's floor that turns to secure the mat into place (example on p698 of this 2013 manual).

I learned this the hard way when I had purchased mats while my 2012 was on order, but then when I switched to a 2013 (long story in another thread), I found in my research the mats would not secure properly and I needed to buy a different set. If I would have used the mats that worked in a 2010-12, they would only lay over the newer attachment locations and not secure into place by any means. Not knowing all your model years, but given the challenges Lexus had with mats, lawsuits, and the press a few years ago, I suspect that may be why they want to swap your mats each time you take it in.

OP, my recommendation for whatever it's worth, is you ensure the mats you ultimately purchase are made for your model year RX and are secured properly to the floor as Lexus intends. IMHO it's better to be safe than sorry, and not trust friction alone to keep the mat under your driver's feet where it belongs.
Old 02-06-15, 06:39 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Hiroslamme;8900285]You should try to get your hands on the earlier model factory floor mats, a lot thicker and heavier than the current ones. I bought them back in early 2010, still looks brand new. QUOTE]

Much better for trapping snow/water/dirt........anything the little ones might bring with them.
These were in ours since new & we take them out in the Spring.
Bought a set of new style OEM mats for the logo.
They were in the car for one snow storm about 2 years ago.
They've been on the shelf ever since.

Weathertech also makes an excellent product. I would believe better than the OEM.
Old 02-06-15, 08:32 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

I replaced the factory winter mats with Weathertechs on delivery. The factory mats are ticker material, but don't have the "well" effect that the Weathertechs have for water/dirt retention. Had them in our '09 from the outset and the carpet underneath was as new. I leave them in all year. Recommend them highly.

Note that I bought the factory trunk liner; this is a great product as it covers the backs of the seats. W/T only lays on the floor and the seat backs are not protected.

Last edited by kitlz; 02-06-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-06-15, 01:10 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the Weather Tech factory store and they let me try all three colors in my 2015 RX450l to see what I liked best. This year Chicago had its 5th worst snow storm and the garage is just full of snow and dirt. Thank goodness I got the Weather Tech liners for the front and passenger seats instead of the Lexus liners. In the cargo area, I just turned the Lexus mat over so the rubber side is up as the Lexus dealer showed me when I bought the car. That has worked fine.
Old 02-06-15, 02:06 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
while of course oem mats look better, weathertech is more for the protection. funny part is i had the oem all weathers with 0 compliments and since ive put my WT ive had 3-4 compliments on the way they look/protect
I guess it really depends on your ultimate goal. Winters aren't that hard here and aesthetics was more important to me. The all weather mats are easier to clean though compared to the carpeted ones -- just pull 'em out and sweep 'em off and I do like that. To each his own.
Old 02-08-15, 07:00 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weather liners are awesome they protect way more. Kinda no brainer.
Old 08-31-16, 09:57 AM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey members...

I am looking for a rear all-weather cargo mat for my RX, and really wanted something to help protect the rear seat backs as well.

I saw a car listed for sale locally that had them installed, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has them or knows of the part number for them. I can't seem to find part numbers or the mats for sale anywhere...

Thanks for the help!

Attached Thumbnails WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)-lexus-rear-cargo-mats.jpg  
Old 08-31-16, 12:05 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by X-TNSIV
Hey members...

I am looking for a rear all-weather cargo mat for my RX, and really wanted something to help protect the rear seat backs as well.

I saw a car listed for sale locally that had them installed, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has them or knows of the part number for them. I can't seem to find part numbers or the mats for sale anywhere...

Thanks for the help!
weird ive never seen those before nor can i find anything on google.
Old 09-05-16, 09:49 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Post a better photo of the Logo, someone may recognize the Logo.
Old 09-06-16, 12:08 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey members...

Thanks for the help!
On the 4Runner site, they had similar mats that they were importing from Canada (not available in the US) Might check with the northern members...
Old 09-06-16, 12:35 PM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
On the 4Runner site, they had similar mats that they were importing from Canada (not available in the US) Might check with the northern members...
Thanks for the info!

Just did a quick search on the Canadian site and there they were! now I just need to locate a part number for the mats...

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/parts-service/accessories
Attached Thumbnails WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)-image381.jpg  
Old 09-06-16, 04:55 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Just did a quick search on the Canadian site and there they were! now I just need to locate a part number for the mats...

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/parts-service/accessories
cant find a number but heres a vid
Old 01-05-17, 12:23 PM
allendsup2
Rookie

Default Weather tech liner or all weather floor mats

I am in Minnesota and recently bought a 2013 RX 350. We get lots of snow during winter. I am planning to buy weathertech to keep floor clean and confused between the two.

1. Weather teck floor liner (200$)
2. All weather floor mats (100$)

Any idea which one is better? Is it worth spending more on liner?
Old 01-05-17, 12:40 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The front liners will wrap down on top the door sills, so I personally like them better. I've been using a set in my F250 for 10 years now, and aside from being a little scratched, they are holding up wonderfully. Overall, I believe the liners look better and are a more complete and customized protection for the interior. The fit is really great.
The following users liked this post:
allendsup2 (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 12:52 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at the Weathertech site: http://www.weathertech.com/products/...or-protection/

The mats are just deeper versions of standard floor mats, while the liners form a bucket to catch more.

I've been using the liners for the various winter vehicles I've owned. The only criticism I have, and this has been true since the first set I bought, is for some unknown reason the area where the driver's left foot would normally rest is never fully covered.
The following users liked this post:
allendsup2 (01-05-17)

Quick Reply: WeatherTech liners or OEM all weather mats (merged threads)