RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brembo Brakes/Remote Start -10RXH

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 04:54 AM
MIRX450H
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brembo Brakes/Remote Start -10RXH

I'm a relatively new RX owner and considering some additions.
It seems a bit like overkill to add Brembo brakes (BBK) to a non performance hybrid. That said I like the look of the BBK calipers. I have read on this forum that some have added BBK to their IS or GS but haven't seen any on an RX.
Has anyone placed them on their RX if so can you share your thoughts on the experience? Oh, and some pics.

Also interested in upgrading the security system a bit, with things like remote start, glass break sensor, etc. Please share any suggestions you have a on a solid security system that would 1. allow me to keep my Lexus key fob, 2. allow me to keep the existing features of current remote.

Thanks
Old 09-22-14, 08:13 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This post should have been in the third generation forum since it pertains to the 2010 RX450H. Perhaps a moderator will move it.
Old 09-24-14, 10:36 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, seems a bit overkill for Brembo brakes when those electric motors/generators slow the car a bit. Agreed the stock brakes are nothing special to look at.

Look forward to the discussion on remote starts and security options. Been awhile since I've had a third party system installed, so I would imagine there are quite a few options available now. I've had factory, Viper and Drone all installed. The Viper and Drone were both smart phone versions. Lexus now offers a smart phone version too. I've never had to carry an additional fob, as the phone is used most often for remote starting. I have had trouble with third party vendors integrating security with the remote start, but as I said it was a long while ago and perhaps the difficulties have long since been corrected.

Look forward to hearing the current systems folks are using.
Old 09-24-14, 01:08 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Way overkill.

Just paint the calipers and look for a Lexus sticker to add to it if you want to gloss it up a bit. Search as there was a thread not too long ago discussing it.

I'm a fan of Viper security system as well. Suggest adding in the remote start, windows up/down/ glass break/proximity modules.

One caveat with the remote start is I don't think anyone has been able to override the engine shut off once you open the door.to enter the vehicle.
Old 09-24-14, 08:27 PM
MIRX450H
Driver School Candidate

BBKs are an overkill indeed.
Looking at options to get the calipers painted, adding the Lexus logo.
Also looking into the Viper security system as well as the similar one Lexus now offers, no final decisions there but will post once I've decided.
Old 09-25-14, 06:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Skip the Lexus one. Costs way too much and performs way too less.... Viper will be half the price and you have the option of adding in the additional modules.

If you speak to anyone who says they've figure out the override, yes, please post.
Old 09-25-14, 08:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are thinking of the cell phone option remote start, check the Facebook page of the manufacturer and look for complaints about their network service. The was a period of rapid industry growth and some complaints about networks being down, servers be overloaded, etc that showed up in Facebook comments. I know improvements have been made, but it doesn't hurt to investigate that before your purchase.
Old 09-26-14, 06:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Way overkill.

Just paint the calipers and look for a Lexus sticker to add to it if you want to gloss it up a bit. Search as there was a thread not too long ago discussing it.

I'm a fan of Viper security system as well. Suggest adding in the remote start, windows up/down/ glass break/proximity modules.

One caveat with the remote start is I don't think anyone has been able to override the engine shut off once you open the door.to enter the vehicle.
I figured out a way how to run an aftermarket RS w/o killing the engine when the door is open.
If the smart key is not inside, it keeps flashing the alert light, which happens to be just a bulb. That's all that is needed to build logic to keep the engine running or shut it off when the brake pedal is pressed when exiting the RS mode. The only part I would not know how to handle is the unlocking via door handle. It gets disabled with the running engine.
Old 09-26-14, 07:24 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

I mean thoeretically it makes perfect sense to disable the engine if the car door is opened after remote start. Once the car is running, it can be driven regardless of whether the FOB is inside the vehicle. Will continue to run until it is shut off or runs out of gas.

The next question is doesn't stepping on the brake pedal (if you climbed in via the open car window) shut off the engine while in RS mode? I've never gotten past the door handle scenario.

Starting to appreciate my old key reliant GS system a bit more now the more I think about the new tech.
Old 09-26-14, 11:05 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I mean thoeretically it makes perfect sense to disable the engine if the car door is opened after remote start. Once the car is running, it can be driven regardless of whether the FOB is inside the vehicle. Will continue to run until it is shut off or runs out of gas.

The next question is doesn't stepping on the brake pedal (if you climbed in via the open car window) shut off the engine while in RS mode? I've never gotten past the door handle scenario.

Starting to appreciate my old key reliant GS system a bit more now the more I think about the new tech.
I would make it work the same way as old-tech, press the brake pedal and the engine will shut off if the key fob is not present inside.

I agree on the old-school tech! I have a pretty sophisticated remote start in my IS300, which happens to be manual.
I did not order '15 STI with a smart key just for that reason - it will be so much easier to install remote start into it.

There might be a way to keep the door handle unlocking working... no idea if it has been solved already. I attempted to retain OEM key fob buttons functionality in my IS300 when it is remote-started by cutting ignition wire feed to the multiplex ECU, but that had some serious side-effects: it stopped reporting gas level. So, I reverted the change and called it a day. No big deal, I use long range aftermarket remote anyway.
Old 09-26-14, 01:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

MI450H, congrats on your 450h. While RES does turn off when a door is touched, I don't see that as a problem. I have to step on the brake to get into gear anyway. So the extra two seconds it takes pressing the start button isn't a big deal. The only limitation is distance. I've learned tricks to extend it though. RES+ gives you the ability to use your phone. But it requires a subscription. Sewell, one of CL's vendors, carries both. RES is $176.90 and RES+ is $535.58 with the discount. I also went with the glass breakage sensor from Lexus. That's $102.48, again with the discount. RES and GBS were installed at port on mine. Sewell provides instructions for everything if you want to install them yourself. Otherwise the cost to have it professionally installed is probably minimal. The glove compartment has to be taken apart for both RES/RES+ and GBS. I'd advise doing both at the same time if you decide to go with the Lexus systems. And your other question about brakes was answered. Painting the calipers is an inexpensive alternative. The brakes are fine as is. Plus they last a long time. Save your money.
Old 09-26-14, 08:25 PM
MIRX450H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the valuable feedback.
I am kicking myself for not knowing about Sewell sooner. I purchased a few items that would cost less had I gone to Sewell, lesson learned.
Still undecided about how to best upgrade RES (Viper or Lexus). Each seems to have value in some areas, not so much in others. Leaning towards the Viper. Stay tuned

Having a hard time locating a reliable place to get the calipers painted. However there is a Cars and Coffee event coming up soon. I am certain I will be able to obtain leads there...fingers crossed .