RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hearing a Fluttering sound from the heater vent on windy days

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 07:28 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hearing a Fluttering sound from the heater vent on windy days

My 2010 450h emits a fluttering sound on windy days. The noise sounds like a hvac flap could be vibrating when the wind hits. The noise is not loud by any means, however can get very annoying hearing it everything the wind gusts hit when you are at a stop. The other afternoon I was doing some basic winter prep under the hood and I could hear it under the hood as well.

I got my 2010 as a Lexus CPO early in 2013 and the noise has been there since day one, it's not something that developed recently. The last time I took it in I got a fail to replicate response from the dealership.

Does anyone else have this issue whatsoever?

Last edited by Super Blue; 10-20-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 05:24 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Possible you have leaves or other debris in the plenums ?
Take the inside cabin filter out & see what might be there.
Run the fan while the filter is out, may/may not dislodge it.

Daughter's Civic had the blower box full of "leaves" ( tree seeds with a one sided propellor blade..........name ?)
Ended up having to drop the fan motor from under the dash to get them all. Very simple job on a Civic.
Old 10-21-14, 07:17 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Blue
My 2010 450h emits a fluttering sound on windy days. The noise sounds like a hvac flap could be vibrating when the wind hits. The noise is not loud by any means, however can get very annoying hearing it everything the wind gusts hit when you are at a stop. The other afternoon I was doing some basic winter prep under the hood and I could hear it under the hood as well.

I got my 2010 as a Lexus CPO early in 2013 and the noise has been there since day one, it's not something that developed recently. The last time I took it in I got a fail to replicate response from the dealership.

Does anyone else have this issue whatsoever?
So you're hearing this noise while driving on windy days as well as when it's parked and a gust of wind hits?
Old 10-21-14, 07:48 AM
Super Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
So you're hearing this noise while driving on windy days as well as when it's parked and a gust of wind hits?
It is usually when I'm at a stop and the blower is off. Often to avoid the noise I turn the blower to minimum.

I don't drive the rx much and don't recall hearing it much if at all during the summer due to the clam weather. Now that the weather is turning, it was quite windy this past weekend, and suddenly I heard the noise again after a few months.

I will try to take a better note of the times I hear the noise.
Old 10-21-14, 10:18 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Blue
It is usually when I'm at a stop and the blower is off. Often to avoid the noise I turn the blower to minimum.

I don't drive the rx much and don't recall hearing it much if at all during the summer due to the clam weather. Now that the weather is turning, it was quite windy this past weekend, and suddenly I heard the noise again after a few months.

I will try to take a better note of the times I hear the noise.
I haven't heard anything in my wife's RX, it's very quiet. But I will take note of it on the next windy day with the blower off just for kicks.
Old 10-21-14, 02:30 PM
KevinJLR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer should have someone that can ride along with you so that you can point it out. Don't just trust them to find it on their own.
Old 10-21-14, 07:40 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My best guess as well
Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Possible you have leaves or other debris in the plenums ?
Take the inside cabin filter out & see what might be there.
Run the fan while the filter is out, may/may not dislodge it.

Daughter's Civic had the blower box full of "leaves" ( tree seeds with a one sided propellor blade..........name ?)
Ended up having to drop the fan motor from under the dash to get them all. Very simple job on a Civic.
Old 10-21-14, 10:12 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

(tree seeds with a one sided propellor blade..........name ?)
From Wikipedia...Maple. These seeds occur in distinctive pairs each containing one seed enclosed in a "nutlet" attached to a flattened wing of fibrous, papery tissue. They are shaped to spin as they fall and to carry the seeds a considerable distance on the wind. Children often call them "helicopters" due to the way that they spin as they fall.
Old 10-27-14, 04:09 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Raylor4,
Yes, Maple. I should have known the name as our yard is full of them. Cheers !