RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help evaluate a used 2013 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 06:27 PM
aceofangel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help evaluate a used 2013 RX350

Hi all,

New to the forum, lots of great info around!

I was originally looking to get a 2014 RX350 new from dealers that still have a couple in stock for a discount. However while searching I came across an used 2013 RX350. Looking for some help in evaluating the price.

It is a 2013 with 17k miles, nav, comfort and premium package at one of the best rated dealers in the area. Not certified however the dealer claims to have done the certified inspection on it and can provide the documentation. The CPO warranty can be purchased for $995. However as this particular 2013 still has 35 months of warranty left so they left it as an option for the buyer. Price is $33500 after some haggling (no outrageous fees either, 36500 OTD w/ tax).

Now it seems like a great deal. The catch here is that 1) this was a service loaner and 2) it had an accident a year ago where the rear bumper and quarter panel was replaced. Dealer is claiming no structural damage and from police reports the vehicle was driven from the scene (parking lot accident). In addition the repair was done recently according to the Lexus service logs, right before the dealer put the car for sale for $2.2k so it likely was cosmetic only.

I am a weekend driver only and puts on very few miles but do want a nicer, comfortable vehicle that can haul some stuff and has AWD. I think the price is fair given the history of the car. Want to make sure I have all the bases covered and if there are any more due diligence I can do.

Thanks!

Last edited by aceofangel; 01-04-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 07:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Dealers love to place the CPO label on a used vehicle to justify the premium price. I wonder if it's not officially labeled as such due to the minor accident.

I would not be concerned with the cosmetic damage but do a closeup visual to make sure there is no discernable differences in paint color, quality, and panel gaps; and double-check the fuel filler door opens properly and if equipped with Mark Levinson, check the sub works (if damage was on the left side). My RX had a similar hit/damage, was repaired flawlessly, and drove like new.

Since this was a loaner and was certainly beat up more than a normally owned vehicle, on the test drive, check for any brake clicking noises and minor rattles (B-pillar ticking and rear seat rattle in my experience) as the only "major" problems. Also note the tranny shifting (must be smooth upshifts and impercetible downshifts). Finally check for any leaks on the shocks (rare occurrence but a handful have had this issue). Otherwise, these vehicles are bullet-proof reliable.

Good luck!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-04-15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-04-15, 07:33 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

What the dealer said re: the reason they didn't put the CPO warranty on it can have some merit as it does cost money and the car is still under warranty. Accidents can happen and the way insurance companies operate today, they just replace everything. Back in the day, they used to straighten and use a lot of bondo. If you're satisfied with the quality of the repair and the price then it shouldn't be an issue down the road. You could use it tho as leverage to try and get the price down a little more. Or get the CPO warranty thrown in.
Originally Posted by aceofangel
Hi all,

New to the forum, lots of great info around!

I was originally looking to get a 2014 RX350 new from dealers that still have a could in stock for a discount. However while searching I came across an used 2013 RX350. Looking for some help in evaluating the price.

It is a 2013 with 17k miles, nav, comfort and premium package at one of the best rated dealers in the area. Not certified however the dealer claims to have done the certified inspection on it and can provide the documentation. The CPO warranty can be purchased for $995. However as this particular 2013 still has 35 months of warranty left so they left it as an option for the buyer. Price is $33500 after some haggling (no outrageous fees either, 36500 OTD w/ tax).

Now it seems like a great deal. The catch here is that 1) this was a service loaner and 2) it had an accident a year ago where the rear bumper and quarter panel was replaced. Dealer is claiming no structural damage and from police reports the vehicle was driven from the scene (parking lot accident). In addition the repair was done recently according to the Lexus service logs, right before the dealer put the car for sale for $2.2k so it likely was cosmetic only.

I am a weekend driver only and puts on very few miles but do want a nicer, comfortable vehicle that can haul some stuff and has AWD. I think the price is fair given the history of the car. Want to make sure I have all the bases covered and if there are any more due diligence I can do.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-15, 06:29 AM
recycled
Rookie

Hi Ace,
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend a PrePurchase Inspection to check on the condition of the car. I paid $112 to check over my 2011 RX350 last September as I was concerned about salt damage as it came from Ontario, Canada.

A good PPI should reveal any flaws. If you are still concerned about the accident damage you could take it to a body shop but a good garage should be able to detect any more damage that was not previously reported.

Of course it is caveat emptor with a used car. I don't mind spending a little extra before buying to avoid problems later. To me it is worth it when I save about one third off the new list price.

Cheers, Guy
Old 01-05-15, 07:11 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Personally I would spend a little more $$ and get one that doesn't have any previous damage. I didn't spend much more on the OTD price for a very clean 6k mile 2014 with no previous damage.

Just my opinion though.
Old 01-05-15, 11:41 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2010 CPO RX owner here...agree with Charley. No reason to take a chance on a vehicle with an accident history when there are pre-owned RX's galore in the tri-state area. My local dealer in north Jersey has (27) '12 and '13 RX's, many of them certified.

Personal preference but I've also never been a fan of service loaners where so many people have driven the car. There's a reason used cars are often listed as "one owner".

If you do pursue this particular RX, in addition to what others mentioned, also check tire wear and brake pad life.
Old 01-05-15, 04:02 PM
aceofangel
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I am only looking for a 2013+ model as I like the new look. As a guy in my mid 20s I think the older face is too boring. Now don't ask why a 20 something guy is looking at a RX...lets just say when I graduated from college my parents offered to buy me a X5 as a graduation present and I took the money instead and invested it.

Anyway I test drove this RX and it felt solid. Did not notice any abnormal noises etc and the road was quite rough. My current car was also a ex-loaner so I am pretty comfortable with buying one if the mechanics check out ( I will bring it to a mechanic to double check ). I think I like my odds with a loaner RX better than my current car ( a more sporty sedan ) considering the demographics of the drivers. Anyway I could not find anything better at a comparable price. I don't drive much so I am looking for the cheapest but still solid choice with the color and options I want.

Now I did find an issue. The bumper is not an exact match in color as the rest of the car. I did not notice during the test drive as it was grayish outside but the mismatch can be seen in the showroom photos. Now that in itself is not a deal breaker for me but I think I can get the price down even more. Say how much would a repaint of the bumper cost?

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-15, 05:17 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Unfortunately I am only looking for a 2013+ model as I like the new look. As a guy in my mid 20s I think the older face is too boring. Now don't ask why a 20 something guy is looking at a RX...lets just say when I graduated from college my parents offered to buy me a X5 as a graduation present and I took the money instead and invested it.

Anyway I test drove this RX and it felt solid. Did not notice any abnormal noises etc and the road was quite rough. My current car was also a ex-loaner so I am pretty comfortable with buying one if the mechanics check out ( I will bring it to a mechanic to double check ). I think I like my odds with a loaner RX better than my current car ( a more sporty sedan ) considering the demographics of the drivers. Anyway I could not find anything better at a comparable price. I don't drive much so I am looking for the cheapest but still solid choice with the color and options I want.

Now I did find an issue. The bumper is not an exact match in color as the rest of the car. I did not notice during the test drive as it was grayish outside but the mismatch can be seen in the showroom photos. Now that in itself is not a deal breaker for me but I think I can get the price down even more. Say how much would a repaint of the bumper cost?

Thanks again!
Are you sure you want to spend that kind of $$ and know that it was wrecked? I would certainly not want to spend that kind of money on any vehicle and know it had collision damage. Not trying to bash you here but, there has to be another one out there somewhere which is a much better vehicle. I traveled 3.5 hours to find mine and it was worth it. Finding the right one will take some time and travel. I would not want one that has been driven as a loaner. Again, I'm not trying to bash you here.
Old 01-05-15, 05:28 PM
aceofangel
Driver School Candidate

No worries, I posted on here to get a different opinion after all!
Old 01-05-15, 05:32 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Anyone else want to chime in on this? For $36,500 OTD he should be able to find a better RX than the one he is looking at.
Old 01-05-15, 05:42 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't want to purchase a loaner car in any condition, let alone knowing it was in an accident (no matter how minor). People usually dont care much for loaner cars and who knows how it was driven during break-in period. The potential problems might not shown up years from now
Here are something else to consider! The resale value. How long are you planning on keeping it? You might have harder time selling it later.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 01-05-15, 07:56 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's probably the same paint as it's a factory code to spec. But on some of the colors especially the pearls the shade can look a little different as the angles change. Being on the bumper that could be what you're seeing. Also there's the difference between the metal and the composite bumper.

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-15, 02:50 AM
recycled
Rookie

Unfortunately I am only looking for a 2013+ model as I like the e. Say how much would a repaint of the bumper cost?

Thanks again!
I scuffed my bumper in a parking garage. To respray bumper only $500 and to remove bumper and do respray $1000 Can. I am going for another quote.

I agree with the above as there are lots of RX's with no damage and not being a loaner for sale. I can see why you may be attracted to the loaner one as it might be priced less. Your call of course.
Guy
Attached Thumbnails Help evaluate a used 2013 RX350-sdc12035.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 03:19 PM
thesemes
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Id avoid loaners as I have had a few and they were beat on, obviously.