RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 03:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by strife77
Hi CorradoMR2, I have our service guy looking into the swap. Haven't heard back yet. Despite Steve's advice, I might throw good money after bad to see how the swap goes as I'm as skeptical as he is in terms of any difference it might make. If it doesn't do anything, I'm out about $200. I lost more in a single hand in vegas lol.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Maybe if you're lucky enough, the dealer has an F-Sport demo with the Michelins you can test drive?

On the several cars I've owned, for me tires had made a noticeable difference in ride comfort and handling. Remember, it's the first point of contact to the road and the one that first absorbs the bump. Some tires have stiffer reinforced sidewalls while others don't.

Personally, the 200$ for me would be worth the risk, considering the 50K+ spent on the car and not really enjoying it. If you're like me, it would keep bugging you not knowing if it would have made a difference and the longer you wait, the more it will cost you (in $ and mental pain). Buying brand new tires (>$1K) or spending thousands on the suspension, that's a different story. Go for it (tire swap) and worst case, you'll have closure and enjoy your ride as best you can.

Good luck!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-21-12 at 03:57 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-21-12, 05:07 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strife77
Hi Scott,

Thank your for your excellent advice. It was probably what I was looking for. Looks like my wife and I have some hard decisions to make. I personally don't mind the rougher ride as much as the wife does. I loved our old 2004 rx and its smoothness though. Our 2013 F sport is very quiet and its quietness does seem to take some of the edge off of the harsh ride. I know those two aren't be related but its probably a mental thing. I just love the way the F sport looks over the regular RX.

I will talk to our sales manager and see what our options are. Unfortunately, being OCD with cars as I am, the first thing we did to the car was put on a Full Clear Bra (full hood - so no lines, all lights, side mirrors, fenders, and door handle cups) and got the windows tinted. That was $800 which was a great deal.
Hey Strife,

Yea, the wife part is going to be the toughest part - if she ain't happy believe me - you definitely ain't going to be happy! Make sure she is happy with whatever decision you end up making. There is not enough money you can spend to make sure she is happy with the new ride, or you will never hear the end of her complaining about it! Been there done that. Make sure she is HAPPY AND SATISFIED!

Keep us posted!

Scott

Last edited by Scott1258; 12-21-12 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 04:24 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe its a mental thing? Kind of like the placebo effect. You KNOW that you have the harder springs and this causes you to notice the ride more. I have had a 2005 RX also and there is not a considerable amount of difference in the ride. Yes, the ride is a little firmer, but not too much. I am also running on dunlops and the roads in the UK are the worst!
Old 12-22-12, 06:29 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Put a set of OEM 18s on it.
Old 12-22-12, 12:26 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the car back to the dealership and work out a deal to exchange it for another vehicle that you have taken on a quality test drive. My Dad did this a couple of years ago. He lost some money, but got a car he liked. In term of life's setbacks, this is pretty trivial.

I don't know if they are still putting the Dunlops on the 2013's, but if they are, avoid these tires on the car you swap. They are pretty disappointing and you become aware of their shortcomings after a few days.
Old 12-22-12, 12:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I took an F-Sport out for a test drive today. I've been wanting to compare it to my 450h with the sport-tuned suspension, part of the sport package. Curiosity got the better of me after reading this thread. The F-Sport I drove had the Dunlops. First thing I noticed was road noise, not something I heard when I had them on my RXh. The ride was very similar, maybe just a tad harsher. But then again, I'm not into put my butt to sleep comfort. And I like the tighter steering feel. A few weeks ago I drove a 350 loaner with the 18"s for 50 miles. Unfortunately I forgot to check what brand tires it had. I actually didn't like the ride as much.

Switching to the Michelins may make a difference. I replaced the Dunlops with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes about a year ago. I think they absorb bumps better and are definitely an improvement. Click here for my review. If the dealer will do it for little to no cost, give it a shot. Good luck.
Old 12-22-12, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by kitlz
I took an F-Sport out for a test drive today. I've been wanting to compare it to my 450h with the sport-tuned suspension, part of the sport package. Curiosity got the better of me after reading this thread. The F-Sport I drove had the Dunlops. First thing I noticed was road noise, not something I heard when I had them on my RXh. The ride was very similar, maybe just a tad harsher. But then again, I'm not into put my butt to sleep comfort. And I like the tighter steering feel. A few weeks ago I drove a 350 loaner with the 18"s for 50 miles. Unfortunately I forgot to check what brand tires it had. I actually didn't like the ride as much.

Switching to the Michelins may make a difference. I replaced the Dunlops with the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes about a year ago. I think they absorb bumps better and are definitely an improvement. Click here for my review. If the dealer will do it for little to no cost, give it a shot. Good luck.
Hey Anita. I was always curious to get some feedback between the Sport package RX and the F-Sport because I ultimately want to know if its the same hardware underneath or not. I believe the lateral performance dampers are new in the F-Sport, but wondering about the rest - shocks, springs, etc. If bump absorption/ride is similar (Dunlops could be to blame for the slightly stiffer ride), you mentioned tighter steering - do mean less body roll and tighter suspension? Thanks!
Old 12-23-12, 06:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

corradoMR2, I'm not sure what parts may be shared but the ride is certainly similar enough to make me believe there are some. As far as the tighter steering, the F-Sport again has the same controlled, restricted feeling. It's more responsive and confident overall IMO. To be fair, maybe the F-Sport I drove yesterday was too new. It only had 12 miles on it. The weather was also on the colder side. The 10-minute test drive was not enough time to warm the tires up. That probably explains the noise. And I couldn't tell what pressure they were set at either. One observation I noticed with the Pirellis, I don't have to add air as often. The Dunlops needed adjustment every 2-3 weeks. Right now I have the Pirellis set at 34 and check them manually in addition to viewing the onboard readout.
Old 12-23-12, 10:31 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Put a set of OEM 18s on it.
Agreed. OP will probably get much better ride quality by going to a smaller wheel size and larger profile tire. I would not even touch the suspension until you try tires with a bigger sidewall.

The good news is that I am sure that it will be very easy to sell the F sport wheels The bad news is that all cars look better with big wheels/low profile tires and your RX will take a big hit in the looks department.

Personally, i hate the low profile trend because it sacrifices too much ride quality for a "sporty" ride. I want a sporty ride in a real sports car, but not in my SUV or my sedan. Just saying.
Old 12-23-12, 03:23 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Return the "F Sport" to the dealer from which you purchased it and request that they exchange it for an RX350 (Non-Sport "F"). My local dealer had an "F Sport" (when I bought my 2013 RX 350) that had been returned by a customer that did not like the "F Sport". Several blogs, i.e. Consumer Reports and Edmunds have "Poo Pooed" the F Sport. I took a look at the "F Sport" and that was enuf for me. I purchased a "Dark Sea Mist Mica" with Saddle Leather seatas and black interior below the window level and Grey above the window level inside. I like the BSM and Folding Mirrors and don't really miss the "swivel headlights" and "automatic dimmers" that I had on the 2011 RX 350. Good luck in your efforts to improve the ride.......P.S. I also steered away from the "Sport" LS before I switched to the RX 350...
Old 12-29-12, 10:12 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

I'm in Utah and was just at lhm Lexus today. If yours it starfire pearl (white) I will buy it from you. They sold the last f sport that was white last night and will not get one until end of January, plus they don't want to deal much
Old 12-30-12, 05:57 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Hello, just a quick update on my situation. After some discussions with my wife, we decided to keep it for now. I think we might be getting used to the ride...lol. Doesn't seem as bad anymore for some reason. I did lower the PSI of the tires to 30 and it did help some. Its still nowhere as smooth as our old 2004 RX but it does seem quieter than our old RX.

STGSC400, thanks for your offer and it is in fact Starfire Pearl. However, we have already had full clear bra applied and the windows tinted (to legal limits), also I'd probably take a hit on the taxes I've already paid. Starfire Pearl seems to be a pretty popular color as the day we bought ours, one just like it sold to another person. Just noticed that you are in South Jordan...I am too Did you happen to test drive an F sport? What are thoughts compared to the FX45 that your wife has? (In your sig)
Old 01-04-13, 02:21 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Another quick update. My service guy reached out to me. I had him research costs on replacing the suspension just out of curiosity. I have an appt next week and they are going to take a look at the suspension and let me know my options. One of the service tech wants to take a look at the front and rear dampers that are separate from the struts. We are going to review the option of what it takes to remove them. If the costs are reasonable I may remove just the rear or both. Apparently, its the rear dampers that are blocking the holes for mounting a hitch. So if at the very minimum, I remove the rear dampers, I can install a hitch. If I'm lucky, (which I haven't been with this car), then I'll get the chance to install the hitch and hopefully somewhat improve the ride. This was an option I didn't realize I lost when I purchased an F sport. All of the documents shows the towing prep package installed and I thought all I needed to do was add a hitch. I guess the next time I buy a car, I'll need to do more research because this F sport had two pretty major down sides for me. On the other hand...the car still does look cool...lol.
Old 01-04-13, 09:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Strife77, I don't believe the removal of the lateral performance dampers will improve ride quality. The dampers are there to reduce the body roll during cornering. The focus should be on the springs. In any event, keep us posted after your appointment.
Old 01-05-13, 02:55 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CorradoMR2, I'll take what you said into consideration. I really don't want to add body roll to the car as I really do like how tight the car feels. They are not charging me to take a look. I have one of the techs coming to my house to pick the car up and drop off a loaner. As you can tell, I know next to nothing about how cars work and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)