RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 05:22 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strife77
Hello, just a quick update on my situation. After some discussions with my wife, we decided to keep it for now. I think we might be getting used to the ride...lol. Doesn't seem as bad anymore for some reason. I did lower the PSI of the tires to 30 and it did help some. Its still nowhere as smooth as our old 2004 RX but it does seem quieter than our old RX.

STGSC400, thanks for your offer and it is in fact Starfire Pearl. However, we have already had full clear bra applied and the windows tinted (to legal limits), also I'd probably take a hit on the taxes I've already paid. Starfire Pearl seems to be a pretty popular color as the day we bought ours, one just like it sold to another person. Just noticed that you are in South Jordan...I am too Did you happen to test drive an F sport? What are thoughts compared to the FX45 that your wife has? (In your sig)
Aww bummer. Oh well i will keep trying to get a deal. I emailed Lexus in Boise and they wouldnt even budge off 1 penny from sticker price. Guess im glad we dont NEED a car its more of a want.

Yes im off 104th in South Jordan just moved over here from Sandy.

Yeah we drove the F-sport,,,I would say the FX is a ton faster and handled a lot better then the RX however the FX look is outdated and is getting to the point in its life that things are starting to need repair and i travel a ton for work and she has already been stranded twice in the past year due to dumb issues. I looked at the new FX's but we are not a fan of Tim Dahle infiniti. So we are dead set on a RX f-sport in the 077 Color (starfire pearl) But no one wants to deal.

After reading what people are getting the RX350's for i would have thought we could get somewhat close to the same deals. But i still think with how new these are Lexus will not drop the price that much.

I think i may call the Sales Manager and let him know i use to work for Dodge so i know the whole song and dance. Just get me the best deal and you have a sale.

I know they have one more white one coming in at the end of January.

So maybe i will try and go work a deal.

Matt
Old 01-05-13, 10:41 PM
katzjamr
Driver

i realize this will not help those who own an F sport, and i think they are really good looking, however regarding the ride, a salesman at the seattle car show told me that the only true F sport is the rx 350 model, and the hybrid could be ordered with the badges, wheels, colors and looks of a F sport but inside it was the hybrid suspension, would that solve the problem of the hard ride for those who want the look but not the suspension?
Old 01-06-13, 04:42 AM
Doc750
Driver School Candidate

Have you considered adding an air ride suspension to the vehicle. It might be a cheaper option, and allow you to keep your original suspension in place.
Old 01-06-13, 08:09 PM
LKA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by strife77
Hi Scott,

Thank your for your excellent advice. It was probably what I was looking for. Looks like my wife and I have some hard decisions to make. I personally don't mind the rougher ride as much as the wife does. I loved our old 2004 rx and its smoothness though. Our 2013 F sport is very quiet and its quietness does seem to take some of the edge off of the harsh ride. I know those two aren't be related but its probably a mental thing. I just love the way the F sport looks over the regular RX.

I will talk to our sales manager and see what our options are. Unfortunately, being OCD with cars as I am, the first thing we did to the car was put on a Full Clear Bra (full hood - so no lines, all lights, side mirrors, fenders, and door handle cups) and got the windows tinted. That was $800 which was a great deal.
I wanted to respond to your concern about the rough ride on the sport version of the RX 350. I just traded in my RX 2010 for the RX 2013 non sport version of the car. I hate it. The suspension and seats are different in almost every model of the 2013 Lexus vehicle. My salesman told this was because the car was new! Nice guy but trust me this is not the case. I confirmed this with another dealership. When Lexus remodeled their cars for 2013 they decided to put in stiffer suspensions across the board and harder seats. The ride, even on the non sport version is a hard jarring ride. It must be a nightmare in the sport version of the car. I'm trying to figure out how to get out of the car. And am considering other brands. I loved my 2010 and am just sick over the 2013. If I had known that this is what they did to the vehicle I would have bought the 2010. Good luck. If you want a comfortable ride and seat (like last years Lexus) do not buy the 2013 models.
Old 01-07-13, 06:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont really know what the big deal is about the ride. Mine is an F Sport with Dunlops and it rides better than my wife's C Class elegance which is supposed to be a smooth ride. If you dont like it, dont buy it, simple as that! and good luck with finding something smoother because tbh, there is no SUV smoother than the Lexus RX!
Old 01-09-13, 02:17 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, thanks for all of your suggestions. My service guy was able to get a seasoned mechanic expert to take a look and do some comparisons for me. They had my Rx all day. They looked at a non sport 2013 model that was built in the same month as mine based upon the VIN #. What they were able to determine is that the springs are the same (I question this but they said the part # is the same). The rear damper was easily removed and they removed it and drove it around. It didn't make much difference in the ride quality. Those dampers as CorradoMR2 mentioned are for a reduction in body roll at the cost of installing a hitch. So if you want a hitch on an F sport, you have to remove the lateral dampers. The sway bars are the same for non Fsport Vs the F sport but apparently are different from 2012 to 2013 hence they looked at a 2013 model built in the same month as my car. The part numbers that are different from a non F sport are the front Struts and the rear shocks. Without actually having made the change and doing tests, there is not a 100% guarantee that the ride will be as smooth as a non F sport 2013. But they are about 90% sure that it will do the trick to get the ride close.

The total costs to replace the shocks and the struts is around $1500 for a dealership. You can probably do it cheaper somewhere else (it may void warranty though). At least I know what my options are and can consider changing them out either next year or when they need actual replacement.
Old 01-09-13, 02:48 PM
SleepKing
Driver School Candidate

I'd have to admit, the ride on the F-Sport is a bit stiff for me only when I'm riding passenger and my girlfriend is driving. The odd thing is, is when I drive I hardly feel anything. While my girlfriend says it's fine on both sides. And for reference, my main car is a WRX that is lowered on aftermarket suspension that is about 2-3 inches off the ground, and she absolutely hates it

Might have to take it into the dealer to see if there's anything going on with the right side of the car.
Old 01-31-15, 09:43 AM
smoknc6z06
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 RX350 F Sport Harsh Ride Fix

I recently got a 2013 RX350 F Sport. Driving around town the ride over anything but smooth roads seemed harsh almost jarring. I checked with the Lexus parts department and ordered new rear shocks for the standard RX350. After installing them, to me it was a dramatic difference. No more harsh jarring ride. It was exactly what I was looking for. It corners great but a much smoother ride.
The F Sport has higher pressure gas shocks than the standard. I didn't like the F Sport ride that I even thought about selling it. Definately keeping the RX now.
Thought I would pass it along and hopefully it will help others.
The part numbers for the standard RX is 48531-0e022, about $60 per shock.
Old 01-31-15, 01:07 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and I appreciate your POV with what seems like an easy fix. Enjoy that RX!
Old 01-31-15, 01:27 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The RX rides like a couch. Did you not test drive the F Sport before you bought it? I personally love the RX F Sport because it rides great, not like a wallowy marshmallow.
Old 01-31-15, 01:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

OP, thanks for the post. This is great information for some who are left disappointed with the ride quality.

Had I still had the RX F Sport to keep for 5+ years, I may have done what you did knowing it's such an easy low cost fix. In short, I found in winter sub-freezing temps, the F-Sport Tokico-supplied shocks would stiffen further and hurt the ride quality over medium to larger bumps, especially for rear passengers where the ride would loosely mimic sitting in the rear of a school bus. However, summer warmer temps, ride was nice over these bumps.

So you only changed the rear? Any change in body roll? Are you thinking about changing the front?
Old 02-01-15, 05:54 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smoknc6z06
I recently got a 2013 RX350 F Sport. Driving around town the ride over anything but smooth roads seemed harsh almost jarring. I checked with the Lexus parts department and ordered new rear shocks for the standard RX350. After installing them, to me it was a dramatic difference. No more harsh jarring ride. It was exactly what I was looking for. It corners great but a much smoother ride.
The F Sport has higher pressure gas shocks than the standard. I didn't like the F Sport ride that I even thought about selling it. Definately keeping the RX now.
Thought I would pass it along and hopefully it will help others.
The part numbers for the standard RX is 48531-0e022, about $60 per shock.
That's curious: you say the part number for the standard RX is 48531-0E022. Maybe it's due to the model year difference, but I just had the leaking RR shock in my '10 RX replaced and the part # is 48531-0e0131.
I thought both rears should've been replaced for consistency, but they wouldn't (without me paying for one). Said I'd have to wait for the LR to leak. Anyone else run into that?
Old 02-01-15, 06:46 PM
smoknc6z06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP, thanks for the post. This is great information for some who are left disappointed with the ride quality.

Had I still had the RX F Sport to keep for 5+ years, I may have done what you did knowing it's such an easy low cost fix. In short, I found in winter sub-freezing temps, the F-Sport Tokico-supplied shocks would stiffen further and hurt the ride quality over medium to larger bumps, especially for rear passengers where the ride would loosely mimic sitting in the rear of a school bus. However, summer warmer temps, ride was nice over these bumps.

So you only changed the rear? Any change in body roll? Are you thinking about changing the front?
Yes, I just changed the rear shocks. After putting over 100 miles since the change, I am really happy with the difference. No more harsh jarring around town. I do not plan to change the front. The RX feels more planted in the corners now. When I bought my C6Z06 in 2006, I changed out the super stiff shocks on the rear and it make a big difference too. The weight balance on the RX is toward the front. The suspension still is firm, but in a much "softer" way. If anyone is in the Sacramento, CA area, you can drive my F Sport and see for yourself.
Hope this helps some others that thought the F Sport was too harsh.

Last edited by smoknc6z06; 02-01-15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 11:20 PM
dsp300
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for sharing your success. I too hate the jarring ride over uneven pavement with my F-sport package. I was wondering if you are able to use the same shocks model number for both left and right.
Old 03-18-15, 09:59 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called my dealer to inquire about this option, and he was pretty confused regarding the proper replacements parts. Because of part number changes, his computer showed four different shocks for my car, but couldn't tell me which were the right ones, or which ones would even be guaranteed to fit. Further, he said that if some other component of the suspension failed, and it turns out the wrong part was used, it may void the warranty. In the end, that possibility was too much of a risk. So I decided to get a new tire/wheel package with a different size tire. I went with an H rated tire vs a V (which is OK for the RX according to Lexus), and a 245/55 rather than a 235/55. It is only a 4% increase in sidewall height but when combined with the softer riding of an H rated tire, it turns out to be a noticeable difference. The sections of road on my commute that I used to despite driving over....now I barely feel anything. It really did take the ride and remove the harshness while maintaining the handing and turning characteristics of the car.

Quick Reply: RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)