RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2016 Volvo XC90 vs. New 2015 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 10:47 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

RX may look meaner, but its noticeably smaller and less tech filled, but will outlast the XC90 in the long run
True. One area where Lexus just keeps falling behind.
Old 11-21-17, 07:29 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm driving one now as the RX is at the dealership to ha e the water pump repaired. Not a bad SUV. Minimalist design interior, peppy engine and impressively quiet ride. The dash soft touch reminds me of my old 2006 Toyota sienna but a tad stiffer. Can't speak to it's fit & finish as others have better eyes than me. I didn't track it just tooled around town and whilst getting on the freeway it had decent go albeit a tad noisy hitting the pedal. Sound system is so-so.
Pairing my phone to it was without drama and I like the four ***** two of which were passenger & driver climate control *****. One for radio & volume and the other for finding stations and pairing BT and other on screen do-dads. The ***** brought familiarity and ease of function than the joystick mouse that I hate so much.
​​​​​​
Seating is comfortable all around with enough adjustment to satisfy most. I'm 5'10 with 29" legs and having adjusted the front seat accordingly, sitting in the back I had 4" left between the back of the front seat and my knees. No bueno if your 6'4".
Seats lay perfectly flat allowing a lot of cargo room as part for the course with these SUV. What I didn't like is the quickness of how the tailgate closes. Not soft like Lexus.
Perhaps all these vehicles are a lot closer to each other than in the past but you can definitely tell without a doubt that Lexus has stepped up their game in terms of interior and ride. There is no comparison. The interior reminds me if the old 2001 Lexus 300. A step backwards to some but welcome in other ways.
I can't wait to get my RX back. I like the marshmallow, boat leaning, plush ride it offers. Perhaps today's cars have gotten a bit stiffer and I've gotten a bit softer and my preference is finding like personalities in vehicles.
Not a bad ride
Old 11-22-17, 12:28 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Volvos are for leasing only and ONLY for people with DEEP pockets and with LOTS of leisure time (You'll need the leisure time to deal with warranty work and if you decide to keep it after warranty......... let's have a prayer)!!! LOL.

Seriously, if I'm gonna spend that much money, might as well go for other European higher "perceived" brands in the food chain.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I'm driving one now as the RX is at the dealership to ha e the water pump repaired. Not a bad SUV. Minimalist design interior, peppy engine and impressively quiet ride. The dash soft touch reminds me of my old 2006 Toyota sienna but a tad stiffer. Can't speak to it's fit & finish as others have better eyes than me. I didn't track it just tooled around town and whilst getting on the freeway it had decent go albeit a tad noisy hitting the pedal. Sound system is so-so.
Pairing my phone to it was without drama and I like the four ***** two of which were passenger & driver climate control *****. One for radio & volume and the other for finding stations and pairing BT and other on screen do-dads. The ***** brought familiarity and ease of function than the joystick mouse that I hate so much.
​​​​​​
Seating is comfortable all around with enough adjustment to satisfy most. I'm 5'10 with 29" legs and having adjusted the front seat accordingly, sitting in the back I had 4" left between the back of the front seat and my knees. No bueno if your 6'4".
Seats lay perfectly flat allowing a lot of cargo room as part for the course with these SUV. What I didn't like is the quickness of how the tailgate closes. Not soft like Lexus.
Perhaps all these vehicles are a lot closer to each other than in the past but you can definitely tell without a doubt that Lexus has stepped up their game in terms of interior and ride. There is no comparison. The interior reminds me if the old 2001 Lexus 300. A step backwards to some but welcome in other ways.
I can't wait to get my RX back. I like the marshmallow, boat leaning, plush ride it offers. Perhaps today's cars have gotten a bit stiffer and I've gotten a bit softer and my preference is finding like personalities in vehicles.
Not a bad ride
Old 11-23-17, 09:52 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Volvos are for leasing only and ONLY for people with DEEP pockets and with LOTS of leisure time (You'll need the leisure time to deal with warranty work and if you decide to keep it after warranty......... let's have a prayer)!!! LOL.

Seriously, if I'm gonna spend that much money, might as well go for other European higher "perceived" brands in the food chain.
I don't agree with reliability statement. My Volvo S60 was a dream to drive, outstanding handling, very fast with the 2.5 turbo. Also, it was very reliable with only one issue while we owned it. We seriously considered an XC60 instead of the 2014 RX350. The only serious concern we had is getting a repair completed outside of the network. If you do have a problem, Volvo has made their cars proprietary so that you can only get it repaired at a Volvo dealership. Based on our experience, we did not expect that to be very often. We went with the RX350 because we could not get the options we wanted without getting packages we didn't want with the Volvo. Once we added the options we wanted the price went way high and we just couldn't justify it.
As for comparisons to other European brands, again I don't agree. I'd certainly take a Volvo over BMW or Land Rover for reliability. No contest.
Old 11-25-17, 06:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I don't agree with reliability statement. My Volvo S60 was a dream to drive, outstanding handling, very fast with the 2.5 turbo. Also, it was very reliable with only one issue while we owned it. We seriously considered an XC60 instead of the 2014 RX350. The only serious concern we had is getting a repair completed outside of the network. If you do have a problem, Volvo has made their cars proprietary so that you can only get it repaired at a Volvo dealership. Based on our experience, we did not expect that to be very often. We went with the RX350 because we could not get the options we wanted without getting packages we didn't want with the Volvo. Once we added the options we wanted the price went way high and we just couldn't justify it.
As for comparisons to other European brands, again I don't agree. I'd certainly take a Volvo over BMW or Land Rover for reliability. No contest.
Had a 2000 Volvo whose carburetors would freeze when the temp hovered around 0c and the humidity was at the right level, even though there was a tube redirecting exhaust gas toward them, it was a mystery! Overall a good-enough car, but the new ones with a supercharger AND a turbocharger are the ones that worry me for long term reliability. Inside they look lovely, had a friend with an XC60 and it was a nightmare for her.
Old 11-25-17, 09:30 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Exactly my point!! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Cocal
Had a 2000 Volvo whose carburetors would freeze when the temp hovered around 0c and the humidity was at the right level, even though there was a tube redirecting exhaust gas toward them, it was a mystery! Overall a good-enough car, but the new ones with a supercharger AND a turbocharger are the ones that worry me for long term reliability. Inside they look lovely, had a friend with an XC60 and it was a nightmare for her.
Old 11-25-17, 10:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

You even said it:

"The only serious concern we had is getting a repair completed outside of the network. If you do have a problem, Volvo has made their cars proprietary so that you can only get it repaired at a Volvo dealers"

​At the time this Volvo model was THEIR FIRST model to have SIPS (Side Impact Protection SYSTEM). Nowadays, most, if not all cars made today are required to have this in the USA.

Some many years ago I was traveling with my TOP OF THE LINE VOLVO 960 4DR SEDAN (at the time was THE VOLVO FLAGSHIP CAR)....... There was a noise coming from the rear axle area (it was the last gen rear wheel drive Volvo sedans). I called up the Reno NV Volvo dealership (the car was only 6 years old with some 75K miles at the time and of course out of warranty) and to my surprise they told me on the phone that since it was out of warranty and most likely will cost A LOT to diagnose and repair they recommend I just trade it in for a brand new Volvo they have in stock!!! I told them thanks, but NO THANKS.

I called a mom and pop Indy Swedish repair shop in Reno NV (near Costco, if my memory serves me correctly). I drove it to them. The shop owner got in the passenger seat for a ride and within 30 seconds told me he knew the problem. It was the U joint gone bad!!! He had to order the part. After a couple hundred dollars and one day later I was good to go. I kept that car for many more years until 2013 and after some 180K+ miles I sold it. Yes, that straight V6 was very smooth and a dream to drive and the powerband was very linear all the way to red line and it was NA. I believe that engine was co-developed with Yamaha and the transmission was "Japanese" in original as well and both were very smooth and reliable. I wished I could say the same thing for the rest of that car which needed constant TLC. Since that car was loaded with ALL THE OPTIONS which meant all that electronics went bad at various times and was JUST PIA to sort them out. Yes, the car was still drivable, but why drive a car like that when other amenities are not working? What's the point? SIPS? Other car manufacturers got all that safety equipment already.

What I meant when I compared to other "higher European brands" was not BMW OR LR OR AUDI. I was referring to MB, especially the FULL AMG models. I would not hesitate to buy it and own an AMG as I have one currently (non FI). Still a PIA though, but I still love it.

BTW, in the early years of the Volvo turbos (the 5 cylinders turbos), they had overheating issues. Probably still **** to failure. That was why back then on the Volvo owners manual it specifically stated to have the car IDLE for some 5 minutes BEFORE turning the ignition OFF. Mine was NA, so not an issue.
​​​​​​
My point is I rather have a more reliable proven product such as a Lexus than to experiment AGAIN with a Volvo. If one were purely leasing for a year or two, I guess it doesn't matter as far as reliability is concerned.......just call the toll free number for a tow truck and wait for factory warranty service!!!!☹️☹️☹️☹️

Originally Posted by roadbike56

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-25-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 11:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

You even said it:
What I meant when I compared to other "higher European brands" was not BMW OR LR OR AUDI. I was referring to MB, especially the FULL AMG models. I would not hesitate to buy it and own an AMG as I have one currently (non FI). Still a PIA though, but I still love it.
BTW, in the early years of the Volvo turbos (the 5 cylinders turbos), they had overheating issues. Probably still **** to failure. That was why back then on the Volvo owners manual it specifically stated to have the car IDLE for some 5 minutes BEFORE turning the ignition OFF. Mine was NA, so not an issue.
​​​​​​My point is I rather have a more reliable proven product such as a Lexus than to experiment AGAIN with a Volvo. If one were purely leasing for a year or two, I guess it doesn't matter as far as reliability is concerned.......just call the toll free number for a tow truck and wait for factory warranty service!!!!☹️☹️☹️☹️
AMG was great before MB bought the company! Now they ride the name for marketing purposes and the engine built by one person mantra, but the failures are many and frequent. Today's AMG is a car you buy with your heart and not you rational head I had a 2008 E350 4Matic and as much as I enjoyed driving it, I could see that mechanical excellence was no longer a priority at MB, it never was since the acquisition of Chrysler. So now I'm with a Lexus (could not afford a Bentley)

Last edited by Cocal; 11-27-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-26-17, 01:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Haha, no Bentley for me either. I'M NO HOLLYWOOD CELEB.

Yes, I agree that the new MB AMG's are not what it used to be. It used to be a requirement for an AMG WAS at least a V8. This is no longer true. Enter the new 4 cylinder turbo 2.0 L AMG!!! NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, IT AIN'T THE SAME ANYMORE!! That's why I kept my old NA V8 AMG.

Originally Posted by Cocal
AMG was great before MB bought the company! Now they ride the name for marketing purposes and the engine built by one person mantra, but the failures are many and frequent. Today's AMG is a car you buy with your heart and not you rational head I had a 208 E350 4Matic and as much as I enjoyed driving it, I could see that mechanical excellence was no longer a priority at MB, it never was since the acquisition of Chrysler. So now I'm with a Lexus (could not afford a Bentley)
Old 11-27-17, 08:25 AM
Cocal
Racer

Haha, no Bentley for me either. I'M NO HOLLYWOOD CELEB.

Yes, I agree that the new MB AMG's are not what it used to be. It used to be a requirement for an AMG WAS at least a V8. This is no longer true. Enter the new 4 cylinder turbo 2.0 L AMG!!! NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, IT AIN'T THE SAME ANYMORE!! That's why I kept my old NA V8 AMG.
Oh Yeah ! I'm with you 100%