RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

50% tint on the windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 08:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's all about the look in 99% of tinting in cold climates.Hot climates less.
I'm guilty of that also but no tint on the windshield for me.
Old 06-10-15, 08:28 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Got an appointment on Friday, will post pictures after its done

@Joeb true, a lot of people put tints for the look, but with the choice im going, which is 50% its barely noticeable, so its just for privacy and safety reasons

@those who say people with tints are this and they that, well, its not about whether or not peoples' driving skill is defined by tints, its about one uses his or her brain when they are behind the wheel. If you drink- dont get behind the wheel, spends 20$ on a cab and keep it safe. I drink a lot, but when i know i have to drive i dont drink at all or maximum i can have is one beer hours before i have to drive so by the time i get behind the wheel theres nothing in my system. If a person does not think while they are driving, then you cant blame tints or alcohol for what happened, its the person who doesnt f***in think about it. Im pretty sure about 90% of people who have tints here got illegal limit, but that doesnt mean they all reckless drivers. So drive safe, think before you do something and youll be good. And yes if you get into an accident, God forbid of course, and you have windshield tinted and cops see it, its your fault automatically, so you have to be cautious thats all i can say about it.
Old 06-10-15, 09:02 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't buy into the whole privacy thing.
I think you got a mod bug and bought a wrong car for it.
Old 06-10-15, 12:46 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for 50% its not much privacy really..you can see people you just wouldnt be able to see if they are smiling or not.
i mainly got windshield tint installed for protection of interior and heat reduction. there was a 20-30 degree difference in temp after i had them installed
Old 06-11-15, 08:57 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Not that kind of privacy, like i dont do anything illegal in the car that i wouldnt want others to see, in a way that sometimes i dont want others to look easily inside and see what i have, many cars around my area get broken into, so that one of the reasons, another is my front seats and arm rest arent in the best shape, i try my best to maintain the leather but it seems like its getting worse and worse, especially the armrest, so blocking the sun would be very good and last but not least is NY heat, summer is coming up and its already difficult to get in the car after its been out under the sun all day long, its like entering sauna and all that topped with night-time driving. I dont know if anybody know much about brooklyn drivers, but lately theres more and more Uzbek, Russian kids who get older cars with bad headlight lenses or they do 20% windshield and put very bright HID lights cuz they cant see ***** and never adjust them, so at night when such dumbass is going on the opposite lane, those lights blind the hell out of me, i have a 20/20 vision, but still there so much light that most of the time i pull over for a minute to rub my eyes because my vision is getting blurry, especially when its raining outside besides direct light you also get reflection from the wet road and its disturbing, pretty sure someone here has the same issue with kids blasting lights and blinding you for a minute or two. so thats that. Will update the post when i get tints installed.
Old 06-11-15, 09:07 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Single-click the unlock button, then hold it on the second click. That will get all of windows and the moonroof open before you get into the car. A neat trick to get the car cooled quickly before you get in.
Old 06-11-15, 09:26 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

i know that thanks, but its not like i have a driveway, my car is usually parked a few blocks away, unfortunately the signal would not reach the car
Old 06-11-15, 06:31 PM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking to a guy at the gun club, he bought a used car with 50% tint. On day after driving it got busted 150 dollar fine and had to have it removed in 15 days or else inspection sticker was going to be revoked. The cop even checked in two weeks if he complied! He replaced the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-15, 07:46 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

California does not allow any tint on the windshield period. Cops don't don't take any excuses. It is strictly enforced.
Old 06-12-15, 04:33 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

It's just not worth the risk to others and yourself to tint the windshield. If you used 100% UV clear, maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be held against you, but my non criminal personality won't risk it. You cripple someone for life, your insurance limit is exceeded and your wages are garnished for the rest of your life while you think about the victim forever. It happens too often.
Old 06-12-15, 08:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY state that allows windshield tinting below the AS1 line, and some don't even allow that.

When I was younger (read moron) I had double layer 20% on all windows and 20% on the windshield. I got pulled over 1 time and they made me strip the windshield on the spot. The problem with that is, the other windows were so dark that too much light was getting in, making it very dangerous to see out of the other windows. I went and got the windshield re-tinted. That lasted for maybe 2-3 years, but got pulled over again. At that point, I just stripped the car completely. It's not worth the hassle.
Old 06-12-15, 10:35 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY state that allows windshield tinting below the AS1 line, and some don't even allow that.

When I was younger (read moron) I had double layer 20% on all windows and 20% on the windshield. I got pulled over 1 time and they made me strip the windshield on the spot. The problem with that is, the other windows were so dark that too much light was getting in, making it very dangerous to see out of the other windows. I went and got the windshield re-tinted. That lasted for maybe 2-3 years, but got pulled over again. At that point, I just stripped the car completely. It's not worth the hassle.
Wow yeah 20% is crazy on windshield I will agree that's dangerous. And yeah no state allows windshield tint but some are lenient than others. Here in nc where I'm from I've had my Infiniti 15% all around(no windshield tint) for 10 years and haven't had any issues and so far on my RX 35% front and 50% windshield for a year and a half with no issue. The tint guy that did mine says more than half the cars he tints he does the windshield also. Its quite common down here
I would assume Cali VA SC would probably be more tough towards tints. I don't travel much so I'm not sure
Old 06-12-15, 12:37 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

jtrue i agree that its not smart to have your windows murdered out that much, back in the day on my ES i had it done, black on black with black interior and 5% tint all around and 35 windshield, it was too much, i had to take it down in the beginning of winter because it was difficult to see especially in bad weather conditions or upstate/NJ where theres no lights, i grew out of it and i dont want to do that now. after that on my last two cars, including es ive had 20% front and 5% rear window and in bad conditions sometimes its harder to make a turn especially around jewish areas, they all wearing black and you cant spot them even without tints/ windows down and since theyve been moving more and more into my area i have to be more and more cautious. 50% tint is almost invisible so i think i should be fine, many people drive around with 35 windshield tint at least, well thats too much, but with 50 i think i should be fine,i have light interior so its bright in a car. will do them in an hour and ill see, if i wont like it, i can always peel it off, its not permanent.
Old 06-12-15, 04:14 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Just got it done, 50% quick pic will take a better one tomorrow once I will be able to clean the windows, it's pretty dirty
Old 06-12-15, 04:22 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tint your headlights too. That will double the effectiveness of not being able to see at night.

Quick Reply: 50% tint on the windshield