RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010-11 Oil Cooler Line Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 04:57 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

You are welcome. Independent shops often have more experienced techs than new car dealers.

Now you should consider using them for all your maintenance. Now get them to change the transmission fluid next when you do your next engine oil change. On the hybrid it is a simple drain 4 quarts and fill it back up until it flow out the fill hole. It is an easy and quick job. You cannot flush the hybrid transmission. It should not cost that much.
Same with brake fluid which should be changed every 3 years and get the brake caliper slide pins lubricated. They are often ignored on the hybrid because the brake pads last forever.
Enjoy the new ride!
The following users liked this post:
North (10-02-20)
Old 10-02-20, 07:37 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I recently bought a pre owned 2010 RX hybrid and the service history shows replacement of the oil cooler line. Should I assume that since this was done by a Lexus dealer that the line was replaced with a metal one? Thanks.
Old 10-02-20, 07:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

You should only assume that it was replaced by the metal line. Anyone could have done the work, not that it matters, it is not a difficult job, I did my own. Use this link to access your vehicle's history of service at Lexus dealers. Just join and enter your VIN.

https://www.driverslogin.com/tmnab2c...mode=form_post
Old 10-02-20, 07:51 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You should only assume that it was replaced by the metal line. Anyone could have done the work, not that it matters, it is not a difficult job, I did my own. Use this link to access your vehicle's history of service at Lexus dealers. Just join and enter your VIN.

https://www.driverslogin.com/tmnab2c...mode=form_post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I went on that site before I bought the car and I knew it was changed. I just wanted to know if by default it's a metal one or if you specifically have to ask for the metal one. Thanks.
Old 10-02-20, 08:59 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NickSP
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I went on that site before I bought the car and I knew it was changed. I just wanted to know if by default it's a metal one or if you specifically have to ask for the metal one. Thanks.
Just look and see
Old 10-02-20, 09:03 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Non
Just look and see
Yes except I'm not really good with these things
Old 10-02-20, 07:38 PM
North
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. They were very knowledgeable and seemed reasonable. Thanks again! Tim
Old 08-08-22, 12:44 PM
Toffeemen
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by North
Hey guys I'm taking my RX 450 to one of the independent Japanese Auto guys in Canton tomorrow. I have sprayed the bolts holding the old rubber lines in with the PB blaster. Hopefully they will be able to change out my hoses to the metal ones tomorrow!!! I will let ya'll know how it turns out!.

Really wish I saw this exact post first. 2011 RX350, Cooling hose burst, I have a 2011 Highlander whose same line burst last year and was repaired by a dealer. I am on time constraints this month and after confirming the issue ordered the OEM replacement and gaskets, instead of waiting or towing to a dealer.. Unfortunately one of the bolts sheared right off leading into the upper oil pan during cooling line replacement. Now I have just ordered the upper and lower pan, all of the screws and bolts to add onto the costs of the original parts. I will still have to bring to a shop when all of the parts come in as well beyond my capabilities to switch all out!!! Really wish I sprayed those bolts.
Old 01-15-23, 04:48 PM
Cashflow1
Rookie

Default Engine Oil Cooler Hose

I just bought a 2010 Rx 350 a few weeks ago and I'm hearing about an Engine Oil Cooler Hosethat should be replaced. Is there any way to find out online if the oil hose has been replaced on my car instead of bringing it to a mechanic? Are there any other safety concerns I should have checked out? I know there is a steering column defect when you go over bumps the column has a raddle noise which mine has but only going over a very rough road other than that it is quiet.
Old 01-15-23, 05:01 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

This is a problem for cars with the tow package. Lexus dealership service records would indicate the time and day that the hose was swapped out if it ever was. Otherwise, there are a few ways to confirm by visually inspecting it. Don't forget that the VVT-i oil line is also a failure point which applies to all models with the 3.5 incl those without the tow package. If Lexus can't confirm, it's better and easy to confirm yourself which only takes a few minutes.

Oil cooler lines:
- Bottom view / undercarriage (1:33 - 2:04)

VVT-i bank 1 oil line:
- Top view in engine (22:33 - 23:00)

Part numbers: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-and-more.html

The oil cooler lines can be seen in the engine bay by looking down under the front (bank 2) exhaust manifold. They're hard to see but if you have a flashlight it will be easy to see the shiny stainless steel. Also, there will be an oil cooler there too which is directly under the front exhaust manifold.

The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
carguy75 (01-15-23), Cashflow1 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 05:11 PM
Cashflow1
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattRX
This is a problem for cars with the tow package. Lexus dealership service records would indicate the time and day that the hose was swapped out if it ever was. Otherwise, there are a few ways to confirm by visually inspecting it. Don't forget that the VVT-i oil line is also a failure point which applies to all models with the 3.5 incl those without the tow package. If Lexus can't confirm, it's better and easy to confirm yourself which only takes a few minutes.

Oil cooler lines:
- Bottom view / undercarriage (1:33 - 2:04)

VVT-i bank 1 oil line:
- Top view in engine (22:33 - 23:00)

Part numbers: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-and-more.html

The oil cooler lines can be seen in the engine bay by looking down under the front (bank 2) exhaust manifold. They're hard to see but if you have a flashlight it will be easy to see the shiny stainless steel. Also, there will be an oil cooler there too which is directly under the front exhaust manifold.
Ok My car does not have the tow package, So the oil cooler lines should not apply to me. I did check the dealership online records and I just saw that in 2015 the oil cooler line was checked for leaks and did not see that it was changed. And in 2021 it was inspected for recalls but there were non at the time. I did not know about the VVT-i bank oil line I'm about the watch the video you sent me. Thank you for your help.
Old 01-15-23, 05:51 PM
Cashflow1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cashflow1
Ok My car does not have the tow package, So the oil cooler lines should not apply to me. I did check the dealership online records and I just saw that in 2015 the oil cooler line was checked for leaks and did not see that it was changed. And in 2021 it was inspected for recalls but there were non at the time. I did not know about the VVT-i bank oil line I'm about the watch the video you sent me. Thank you for your help.
I'm not sure if this is true but someone was telling me now that even some RX 350 with no tow package still has the oil cooler line? So very confusing so I guess I will have to bring it in and have it inspected to make sure.
Old 01-15-23, 05:58 PM
MattRX
Racer

No non-tow package model ever had the oil cooler lines or the oil cooler. Save the money to do the vvt-i rear bank line! VIN number or Lexus dealer will confirm if you have tow pkg or not, also, tow package has a transmission cooler located behind the front bumper on the driver's side. If you crouch down near it, you can see a radiator-looking object with fins. If this is absent, no tow package either.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattRX:
carguy75 (01-15-23), Cashflow1 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 05:59 PM
Cashflow1
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattRX
No non-tow package model ever had the oil cooler lines or the oil cooler. Save the money to do the vvt-i rear bank line!
Great thank you.
Old 01-15-23, 06:00 PM
MattRX
Racer

No problem!

Quick Reply: 2010-11 Oil Cooler Line Recall