RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 11:10 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I would let Lexus take care of everything. If it is the customer service that you are most concerned about, it is something you won't have to deal with once this is done and over with. However, if the rust comes back, with the second option, you won't have a leg to stand on.
I will probably let My Lexus dealer take care if it.... Exactly like what you said ... I'm afraid that if rust come back later down the road, with option 2, Lexus will not provide any assistant.
Old 07-24-15, 12:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

tsiripong, it's very natural to have concerns especially after a negative experience. Did you let the dealer know about it? They can address them for you so you won't have further reservations. Again I wish you the best of luck with the repair. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-27-15, 06:52 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Thanks you all of your inputs..

Update:

I called my SA on Friday and told him to go ahead and take care of the whole thing... He said that he will let me know when he get an appointment book.... Their body shop has a long wait time...

This weekend, I found a small spot on the other side of the tail light, exact same area that rusted on the other side. To me, it looks like a small blister starting to form... I just send my SA a couple of pictures.... I am afraid that the other side starting to rust too....

Lexus already authorized the rust repair on the left tail light.... I know that they will have to repaint the whole tail gate.... if the right side starting to rust as I suspect, hopefully they can take care of it at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch-rx-right-taillight.jpg   Rust around the taillight on the rear hatch-rx-right-taillight2.jpg  

Last edited by tsiripong; 07-27-15 at 09:10 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-27-15, 08:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The battle living in snow country Sorry it seems to have started around the other taillight. They should be able to take care of both sides at the same time. It might take longer to get scheduled but it's better to get it all done at once. I haven't seen this problem on any of my RXs. That area around the taillight can catch crap. And being in the rear kicks up lots of salt and other contaminants from the road where it sits until washed off. I know you said you wash or rinse the RX frequently. So do I, as many of the 52 weeks in a year I can. I'll drag out the power washer from time to time to get into the cracks and crevices. Anyway, I'm sure the dealer will inspect the area and do what they can to prevent further bubbling. Your RX will be good as new very soon. Hang in there.
Old 07-27-15, 02:10 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not nice finding. Your vehicle is too new to rust like that so it must be some paint or taillight assembly installation problem.

Rust around taillights, behind any tailgate plastic molding, around the rear window is very common here in old cars. Dirt, mud, shredded metal from studded tyres like to gather due to the suction of the air flow in the rear of the car.
Machinewash won't clean those areas. I clean my cars thoroughly with high pressure washer. Every time I aim the spray upwards around the rear license plate, browning muddy water escapes above the molding grooves. Same happens around tail lights and rear window lower rubber seal and bumpers edges.
Old 08-23-15, 08:58 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Default Update!!

So... About a month ago, I SA contacted me said that he got an appointment for the rust repair on August 24, 2015....

Yesterday I just dropped off the RX at Lexus dealer and my SA said that he will be in contact on Time line...

More to come....
Old 08-25-15, 10:20 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Angry Update!!

Well... I should have trust my guts feeling and goes with my trusted body shop instead of let Dealer owned body shop that I had bad experience do the work....

I got a call from my SA today told me that their body shop called him yesterday and informed him that my tailgate was repainted before... and there is a small dent on the tailgate that shift the structure of the tailgate causing the water not to drain properly around the taillight and rusted....

I was stunned.... To my knowledge, the paint on my car is all factory paint.... The car was looked by my SA, Service Director, and Lexus field rep. On top of that, Lexus already approved the repair.... My SA told me that the body shop used paint meter to measure the thickness to determine if the car been repainted or not... My SA even commented that he can't tell or see any evidence of paint work, but based on what their body shop tell him, he cannot proceed with the warranty.

My RX paint is a Matador Red Mica... It's a 3 stage paint.... If the car was repainted, you can tell without using the paint meter... I called Bull**** on this one...... Now I'm pissed.

At this point, I told my SA to put everything on hold... and I will take my car to my trusted body shop to get a 2nd opinion.

Last edited by tsiripong; 08-25-15 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-25-15, 10:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sorry to hear about that. Definitely get another opinion or two confirming no prior damage before you take the issue up with Lexus again. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-25-15, 03:45 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Default Update!!!

Picked up my car from the dealer today.... then I took it to my trusted body shop in Columbus, OH...
They cannot find any sign of re-painted on my car.... 3 professionals agreed that the paint on my car is all factory paint. Even the exposed 2 nuts on both side of the taillights looks brand new with no sign of tool mark whatsoever...

From what my SA told me, they use a mil gauge to measure paint thickness.... and the dealer bodyshop determined that it has been painted due to the reading area around the license plant is 8 and the rest is 6. Duh, the car has been detail and polish several times since new... of course the paint thickness will be difference....

At this point, I know that the dealer's bodyshop don't have a clue... and I'm done with their body shop...

I already contacted my SA and have him talk to my trusted bodyshop directly.... He told me that he will have to talk to his Service Director about this and go from there.... (the service director is on vacation this week )

Hope that the Service Director will do the right thing...
Old 09-24-15, 09:56 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Default Update....

To make long story short, the car has no previous damage or body work..... All factory paint.... Lexus agreed to honor the warranty and send to the shop of my choice...

I dropped my wife RX at my trusted body shop in Columbus, OH, McCombe Body Shop on Monday.... It should be done tomorrow or early next week...

I had work done on my other car here before and they did an excellent job... Plus, they spend time with you to explain the process and also give an honest opinion and recommendations...

If any of you in Columbus, OH area need body work done on your vehicle, McCombe is the go to place...

I will post picture when I get mine back...
Old 10-07-15, 08:48 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Default Finally got my car back

I finally got the car back on Friday 10/2/2015. The paint came out perfect. The shop said that both spots of rust came form the tail lamp edge cut into the paint due to over tighten from factory.

They adjust both lamps and now there are even gaps all the way around and water can drain out properly.

I've seen several 3rd gen RX with this issue on the lot... Check you tail lamp and make sure that they are not rest on the paint.

If you are in clolumbus, OH area and need body work, I recommend McCombe Body Shop in Columbus, OH. They do great work. Plus, they will do whatever it takes to make it right.
Old 05-14-19, 04:42 PM
Af16742510
Driver School Candidate

Default Rust issue

At least one person had it right on here.

The tail lights are mounted with a bit of play in the mounting holes. The issue my RX has and your RX has is that the tail light is mounted a bit off center allowing the plastic housing to touch and chafe the sheet metal next to the light. Remove the tail light, clean up the rust and remount ensuring the light no longer contacts the body. This should take care of the rust problem in that spot.

Now to address the rust creeping out from my back up camera.