RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 08:42 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Purvisma
I have a lexus 2015 350.

I got hit with $1000 the side view mirror was acting up and it was out of warranty.

Does anyone else hate the outdated navigation system?

Where can I get the car detailed in Northern Virginia (Stafford, Fredricksburg, Woodbridge)
Are you complaining about the NAV (features and feel) or the MAP (software)? Maps can be upgraded and the discussion is down below in this thread. The Nav is not upgradeable, some like it and most hate it.

You can ask Lexus service [or even the dealership operator] about detailers. When you bring in the vehicle fro service, you can request the vehicle to be detailed. Personally, I detail my vehicles once a year and weekly cleanup + never making a mess is what I follow. Detailing is an expensive service.

Salim
Old 10-14-20, 12:23 PM
sandygarf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Update

I have a 2014 RX 350. It seems that the latest map update available is the 2018 update- already two years old.

Does anyone know if a newer update is out, or is coming out?

Thank you
Old 10-14-20, 07:30 PM
nsnqst
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandygarf
I have a 2014 RX 350. It seems that the latest map update available is the 2018 update- already two years old.

Thank you
YMMV but personally I prefer using Waze as fellow drivers create traffic and hazard alerts and is real-time. RX nav is nice but not worth spending on upgrades IMHO.
Old 10-15-20, 08:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by sandygarf

Thank you
Have you checked with Lexus Parts. The new software (map data) is released every year with the new model roll outs and it it becomes old (out dated) the day they are released. You can visit dealership and see the latest maps in the new models on display. Once in a while a Nav system is updated too, so ask the salesperson.

Salim
Old 10-16-20, 01:51 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The Map update in compiled and released annually. 2009's and older had discs that were
exchanged, 2010 started the HDD drive in the head unit for Map Data and now it is on a
mini-SD chip. The Dealer sends your money for the licensing fees and variable labor required
to install the update. The HDD system was the hardest, requiring over an hours time to hook
up the IV for the transfusion.
The update is only changing roads and Points of Interest (POI) information. There is no change
to the screen resolution, control inputs. You can play the latest release music on Dad's console
stereo but it is still old speakers, right?
Old 10-16-20, 07:10 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

How do you find the Nav version? I have a 2010 Lexus RX 450h. Thanks.
Old 10-18-20, 10:04 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by NickSP
How do you find the Nav version? I have a 2010 Lexus RX 450h. Thanks.
See post #88 of this thread. Later posts also give clue as to how to decode the version -> yr.

Salim
Old 10-19-20, 12:33 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
See post #88 of this thread. Later posts also give clue as to how to decode the version -> yr.

Salim
Thanks. I'll check those out.
Old 10-20-20, 07:13 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Ok so it was right there in front of me all the time in main menu, info. So it turns out I have version 7.1 which means it's never been updated. The only time I find a car's Nav useful is at places in national parks where I don't get data
So if I do decide to update, does it only update the maps or does it also make the Nav faster, improve color combos and adds more functionality? Thanks.
Old 10-20-20, 07:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Ok so it was right there in front of me all the time in main menu, info. So it turns out I have version 7.1 which means it's never been updated. The only time I find a car's Nav useful is at places in national parks where I don't get data
So if I do decide to update, does it only update the maps or does it also make the Nav faster, improve color combos and adds more functionality? Thanks.
Navigation updates do not typically do anything but update the roads and POIs. Never heard of adding any new functions.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-24-20)
Old 10-20-20, 09:18 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Navigation updates do not typically do anything but update the roads and POIs. Never heard of adding any new functions.
Ok thanks. I'll see if the dealer obliges with a new update. If not, meh.
Old 10-21-20, 07:19 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Wow. So one dealer wanted $480 and the other wanted $760. I was told they have to order a USB stick and labor and blah blah blah.
i literally see 100s of these RXs on the road and am surprised that no one has yet hacked this map updates yet.
Old 10-21-20, 07:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

The vast majority of owners of ANY automotive brand just use their smartphones for their navigation needs. The phone apps are so much better than any automotive brand's navigation system.

The last two vehicles we purchased (my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R and her 2015 RX350) did not even have navigation systems installed. They are obsolete within a few months.
Old 10-21-20, 07:40 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX in NC
The vast majority of owners of ANY automotive brand just use their smartphones for their navigation needs. The phone apps are so much better than any automotive brand's navigation system.

The last two vehicles we purchased (my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R and her 2015 RX350) did not even have navigation systems installed. They are obsolete within a few months.
Yeah I agree with the smart phone usage. But there are times when I visit a lot of national parks and places and if you don't have data you don't get directions.
I know I can always buy a Garmin but I just wanted to point out the daylight robbery at the stealers.
And I'm surprised no ones hacked this yet.
The following users liked this post:
BenRX (10-21-20)
Old 10-21-20, 06:19 PM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I agree with the smart phone usage. But there are times when I visit a lot of national parks and places and if you don't have data you don't get directions.
I know I can always buy a Garmin but I just wanted to point out the daylight robbery at the stealers.
And I'm surprised no ones hacked this yet.
An living in CA, you are closer to a lot of awesome National Parks.
I do have a question, in all seriousness: Do the roads in National Parks change frequently enough to warrant a Nav upgrade?

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade