RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 08:17 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mtellup
An living in CA, you are closer to a lot of awesome National Parks.
I do have a question, in all seriousness: Do the roads in National Parks change frequently enough to warrant a Nav upgrade?
It's not the roads in the national parks. It's when you leave the parks and are going somewhere you need directions to.
Old 10-22-20, 06:43 AM
mtellup
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickSP
It's not the roads in the national parks. It's when you leave the parks and are going somewhere you need directions to.
Well, duh, of course! Didn't think that one all the way through...
Old 10-22-20, 10:46 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mtellup
Well, duh, of course! Didn't think that one all the way through...
I do get your bigger point though about not needing car nav at all. And i guess a car that's 10 years old like my RX should have most streets and destinations near national parks. But the bigger point i was trying to make was the dealer nav update rip off
Old 10-22-20, 12:50 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by NickSP
I do get your bigger point though about not needing car nav at all. And i guess a car that's 10 years old like my RX should have most streets and destinations near national parks. But the bigger point i was trying to make was the dealer nav update rip off
A dealer overcharging for something? I.Am. Shocked.
Old 10-22-20, 12:52 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
A dealer overcharging for something? I.Am. Shocked.
Haha. But seriously, i can understand overcharge but this? $780? Wow.
Old 10-24-20, 08:36 PM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

FWIW...I discovered my “new” 2010 RX has the original 09.1 nav version. Curious as to what the cost would be for latest version coming out next week, I called a couple dealerships here in Central/SE VA. $329-$389. If I was thinking/aware during my soft negotiation for the car, I would have asked for the latest nav version. I didn’t. Oh well. I’ll know next time.

With that said, I have used Wazes for years and will continue to do so. It’s intuitive, provides current updated mapping, works great and it’s free. The only time the in car nav comes in handy is when driving thru areas where mobile service is sparse or nonexistent. But if I’m in those types of dead areas, the roads are likely to have been well established and traveled for decades and the previous versions of onboard nav ie 09.1 will be effective in guiding me thru those backroads.

Additionally, I think I can Bluetooth Waze thru the car speakers? Still in discovery mode with that feature on my to do list.

Bottom line, I won’t be fleeced $300-400 for a nav “upgrade” when all the tools I need for efficient navigation are already within reach and at my fingertips.
Old 10-25-20, 10:59 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

I use me LG V60 which has a nice big screen as my main source. The stand alone Android Auto is great. It plays all my music i want and played back messages and let's me reply hands free. I bought a nice CD magnetic mount holder and everything goes through BT.
i only want to upgrade the maps because i like everything to be current but not at this cost.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-25-20)
Old 10-28-20, 07:54 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

If you are using Waze in an iPhone just go into Search then Settings and then Voice and Sounds.
Select Play sound via... and chose Play as Bluetooth phone call.
How does your media respond to a phone call? Mutes and plays the call. In this case the phone
ID that shows up is your own phone number and the Navi direction or warning speaks. A moment
later she hangs up and your media returns. Google Maps also has this, Face icon in the search
bar, Settings, Navigation, Play as phone call.

I like the native Lexus Map in our '20 ESh displayed because it can be split with fuel graphs and media id
but I leave Waze running and she breaks in with Traffic trills.
Old 03-29-21, 09:24 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, price going up for 10 year old tech. I, like most of you, like my cars factory. The last couple of thread have mention $400 range for an upgrade. For $200 more, you can get Grom's VLine system installed. You keep the factory radio/screen/CDchanger/XMradio/etc, but you get Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, etc. You don't get Android Auto/Carplay, but good enough. I'm THINKING about getting it for my '10 RX. If it wasn't mentioned, Lexus is going to eventually "abandon" this generation of GPS updates.

link to Vline:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/
Old 04-08-21, 10:36 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
Wow, price going up for 10 year old tech. I, like most of you, like my cars factory. The last couple of thread have mention $400 range for an upgrade. For $200 more, you can get Grom's VLine system installed. You keep the factory radio/screen/CDchanger/XMradio/etc, but you get Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, etc. You don't get Android Auto/Carplay, but good enough. I'm THINKING about getting it for my '10 RX. If it wasn't mentioned, Lexus is going to eventually "abandon" this generation of GPS updates.

link to Vline:
https://gromaudio.com/vline/
Oh wow, did they announce that somewhere?

I got my 2013 RX maps updated in 2018. I think they added some small new display features, some split-screen eye candy, and the new roads and stuff is always better. Lane guidance could be better, though, and the ETA is always meaningless, because they don't do traffic calculations.

The integration with my HUD is what I really like, that's worth 200 dollars or so (that's what my dealership charged for parts and labor) every 5 years. I enjoy not having to take my eyes off the road.
Old 04-09-21, 09:39 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't recall if they officially announced it, but I see in other Toyotas, that they would stop "supporting" older navigation systems. I have 2005 Toyota 4Runner with a factory NAV. I've been getting my updated CD roms from a third party and he told me that Toyota is going to stop providing maps for the 5th gen navigation. The 2010 RX uses a 6th gen navigation (pretty sure), so it's just a matter of time before we are out of luck. To update our NAVs, no CD rom is used, but a USB drive and a Lexus scan tool that programs the gps "brain". Sorry if you understood that Lexus would stop providing updates, they are not (for now).
Old 03-02-22, 09:25 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am curious to know other than the actual geographical maps, what else gets updated? I've read POIs get updated too. Can you now set a newer road as a destination that your nav didn't have prior to the update?
Old 03-02-22, 10:14 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil64
I am curious to know other than the actual geographical maps, what else gets updated? I've read POIs get updated too. Can you now set a newer road as a destination that your nav didn't have prior to the update?
Complex question and it might help if you would narrow the scope: [imay be a new thread]
Hardware changes as you compare yr to yr models [does not happen every year] The changes can be substantial [This is where you get technology upgrade and you get latest software]
Software updates which are released every October [essentially new roads and maybe POI]

Salim
Note: The software is typically 6 months [my guess] old. Don't expect a new road that opened up last month to be there.
Old 03-02-22, 10:42 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

After a map update, can you set the "newer" added roads as destination points or do they only show up on the map?
Old 03-02-22, 11:37 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil64
After a map update, can you set the "newer" added roads as destination points or do they only show up on the map?
assuming the new road is included in the update, the street address can be added as destination. The street numbers assigned by the city/county follow a grid pattern. That is why on a curved street, the numbering is not consecutive. Nav estimates the location and can be off at times.

Salim
ps: Other than being integrated, smart phone nav is superior than the built in. I would not suggest purchasing the nav update for RX.
The following 3 users liked this post by salimshah:
Airbalance (03-07-22), Neil64 (03-04-22), RonR43 (03-07-22)

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade