RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Differential and transfer case fluid interval

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 07:44 AM
SkyKing901
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clutchless
This is for the Highlander, but it is exactly the same on the RX. The transfer case is near the front. Also look on youtube for either RX350, Highlander or Venza.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads.../#post-2959747

thanks! I know we have the same SUV. Which one did you use? 75w-85 or 75w-90? TIA

edit: I went back and read the comments. Saw the answer.
Old 08-08-20, 07:49 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front differential fluid change

Just a quick question about front differential fluid on a 2012 RX 350 (ours is little over 90k miles). I changed transmission fluid and rear differential fluid first time last year but I notice in this forum that front differential fluid also need to be changed. I can't seem to find front differential. Can anyone tell me where it is located? Thanks.
Old 08-08-20, 11:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

The component in the front that needs the fluid changed is the transfer case. If you follow the link in post 46, which was the prior post to yours you will learn how to identify and change the fluid in the TRANSFER CASE.
The front differential is inside the transmission and is lubricated with the transmission fluid, nothing else to do unless you want to do another transmission fluid drain and fill.
Old 09-12-20, 06:54 AM
liu328
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Followed this thread and the "RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)" thread here. I was able to complete the following over the labor day weekend.
1) Drain and Fill (4 times) the tranny fluid.
2) Transfer case and Diff oil change

The following tools were used for (easily) accessing and turning loose the transfer case fill plug.

3/8 in. Drive 15/16 in. 6-Point SAE Standard Socket $2.97
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...1516/202913497

1/4 In, 3/8 In. Drive Long Reach Dual Flex Head Ratchet $24 (use 20% off coupon)
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...het-67994.html
Old 09-12-20, 01:53 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Well done....
Old 10-02-20, 12:08 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

First transfer and differential oil change at 44000 miles.

Oil still looked ok, and smelled like gear oil.

Transfer case plug had debris but not bad:

Diff plug similar:

I used genuine Toyota oil, because only the best for my car!

It's more expensive than Mobile 1, but you're getting a whole liter! Not just a quart

Last edited by Non; 10-02-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 12:36 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Well done....
Old 04-02-21, 09:31 AM
Merninater
Rookie

I've been neglecting doing this job. Have the oils sitting in the garage waiting. I got under the car to look at the transfer case and it does not look totally similar to the highlander mentioned. I believe I see the drain bolt for the T case however I have this silly fear that I am about to drain the entire transaxle since it looks like the T case housing is attached to the transaxle. Can anyone confirm which is the correct T case bolt to remove on a 3rd gen lexus?

Also I'm going to pickup some extra toyota oil crush washers, part no. 12157-10010. Assuming this is correct for both drain bolts, T case and rear diff. Please let me know if this sounds incorrect.
Old 04-02-21, 10:36 AM
Clutchless

Look at this thread which has photos of the RX transfer case. I trust you have an RX350 as I think the RX450h is different. I also think that you may be over your head if think you are also going to drain the transmission. It has a separate drain plug that takes a 6mm Allen wrench and that is located far from the transfer case.

Always open the fill bolt first. You do not want to drain all your fluid then learn you cannot fill it back up!

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ntial-oil.html
Old 04-02-21, 11:19 AM
Merninater
Rookie

Thank you much. I've done many times where T case is not attached to front diff. This is first oil change I've done where T case attached to transaxle.
Old 05-03-21, 09:20 AM
wchang23
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the video tutorial. I have a 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD. Would this be similar to my generation RX350 as well?
Old 05-03-21, 02:53 PM
Clutchless

wchang23 - you have a 3rd gen RX. It includes model years 2010 - 2015. All are the same.
Old 05-05-21, 02:04 PM
wchang23
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD

Hello all,

I would like to change the oil for the differentials. I have a 2011 Lexus RX350 AWD.

-For the AWD model, I have to change both front and rear?
-How many quarts of gear oil for front and back differentials?
-Is this gear oil compatible with my vehicle? - Walmart, Super Tech Full Synthetic gear oil 75W-90

Thank you!
Old 05-05-21, 03:20 PM
Clutchless

wchang - please read this entire thread as most of the questions you asked have been answered already and can be read in the posts above. Go to youtube and search for videos for the RX350 and Toyota Highlander as they are the same. Read the how-to in this link then read it again https://www.toyotanation.com/threads.../#post-2959747

For AWD the front differential is inside the transmission, it shares fluid with the transmission. So if you get someone to change the transmission fluid you are covered.
There is a front transfer case that has fluid that needs changing. The link above tells you what fluid to use.
Do some searching. It is a simple drain and fill. Pour in new fluid until it comes out the fill hole and you are done. Always open the fill hole bolt first as you do not want to drain your fluid then find you cannot fill it.

The rear differential holds about a quart. The Wal-mart stuff is fine. You just pour it in until it flows out the fill hole, then you are done.

Good Luck.
Old 06-01-22, 07:44 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does rear differential and/or transfer case oil need to be changed?

Hi all,

2012 RX350, ~80K miles, never had rear diff. or transfer case serviced.

About a year ago, after reading various posts on how it is necessary to change rear diff. and transfer case oil, I asked my indy mechanic (with >30 years of experience) if it was required- he replied, "Leave it alone, you don't tow anything, so it's fine, you don't need it".

About two months ago, I had the RX in the dealership for AWD malfunction (burned AWD computer).
I asked the service advisor if the rear diff. or transfer case needed servicing and he replied, "We suggest leaving them alone. They are good and if you don't tow anything I'd leave it alone".

Anyway, a couple of days ago, I changed oil in the rear diff. and transfer case on my 2012 RX350 this week. Did it myself with help of a friend.
I used Valvoline 75W-90 GL5 compatible fluid because it comes in a pouch, with a nozzle that can be inserted into the fill hole.

The color of the old fluid was dark yellow/light brown, but it was clear and did not smell burnt. The same color from the rear diff. and from the transfer case. Minimal amount of dark particles on the drain plugs.

Changed rear diff. oil just fine, using a 10mm hex socket. There was enough room to place the nozzle of the pouch containing GL5 oil into the fill hole on the rear diff.

My troubles started when I got to the transfer case. Before, I read multiple posts on this topic and watched a couple of YT videos, so went to HD and got a 6-point impact resistant 24mm socket.

I was WRONG: the fill plug on the case is recessed, with little room around the head of the fill plug so the thick-walled impact resistant socket would not seat fully over the fill plug head.
Had to run to a store to get a regular (non-impact resistant) socket, which was 2mm smaller in diameter and went over the fill plug just fine.

Then I had to "fight" with the oil pouch. Even though it has a nozzle, there is very little room getting to the fill hole on the transfer case. Thinking it over, it probably would be easier to attach a short (1-2 ft.) plastic line to the nozzle of the oil pouch and then feed another end of the line into the fill hole.

I do not regret doing the service however, the color of the old oil was not bad.
Our RX mostly does city driving, with frequent "stop and go".
So my advice to those who want to DIY this services: get a plastic line for the transfer case filling and a thin walled 24mm and a long 3/8 (or 1/2, depending on your 24mm socket drive) extension.

In addition, I used an impact driver (not wrench) to loosen up the plugs- a few shots at the lowest setting with another few at the highest and all the plugs came out easily.

Last edited by m1964; 06-01-22 at 07:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carguy75 (03-18-24)

Quick Reply: Differential and transfer case fluid interval