RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lowering RX: For the wife

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 08:54 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lowering RX: For the wife

Before anyone jumps to crucify me for this, let me explain. The wife does not want a minivan. However she also doesn't want to hoist our twins: and twin-sized strollers and all the accompanying bags and whatnot into the back of it, so she's asked me to lower it for her. First step, finding springs or (less desirable) coilovers, determining whether the car can be aligned properly with an up-to 3" drop, and then downsizing the tires from a 55 series to a 45. All of the above should get her about 5" closer to the floor and make the lifting more manageable. All this being said, I am struggling to find any company that makes springs or coilovers for the RX (clearly not a mod-friendly platform, as expected) so here I am asking for some assistance!

Thank you
Old 08-11-15, 09:44 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Subaru
Old 08-11-15, 10:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010morx
Get a Subaru
Ditto!

P.S.
It is easier to load stuff at a higher height as you don't have to bend over. It's less hassle for me to put our youngest into the RX than into my 4-door STi.
Same applies to strollers and everything else.

P.P.S.
You can get some lowering by installing F-Sport components.

Last edited by vlad_a; 08-11-15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 11:52 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zoom Bane has springs for the RX but would prob need to order online and have it shipped from Japan. It seems like they're for the third gen RX but not really sure. It's mostly in Japanese.
Old 08-11-15, 12:20 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

It would not ride or handle the same with those modifications and may no longer be the driving experience you bought and that your wife has become accustomed to driving. There are very few sources of lowered springs and all are from Japan, and none for shocks/struts to go with the springs. If you lower it that much, the original shocks/struts would not last very long. You would spend a few thousand dollars for these changes and would diminish the value and driving experience of the vehicle.

I agree, you should look at a new Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. I have a few friends with 2015 models that love their cars. They are very nice, comfortable with great interiors and infotainment. My father has the 2015 Legacy sedan which I have driven and it is every bit as nice as the RX and it has many more modern safety features that are lacking in the RX. Plus it is much less expensive even fully loaded. You may make money getting rid of the 2013 RX and getting a new Subaru. Plus you can custom order a Subaru and the wait is not that long as they are made in the US. Finally, he paid way below list price and the negotiations were not unpleasant.

Here is a chart from the Subaru site that lets you compare it to other cars and I plugged in the RX350. It appears interior volume is about the same. http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outba...-vehicles.html

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/index.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-11-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 01:05 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010morx
Get a Subaru
+1 ... the Outback has really easy access ... plus the 2015/2016 Outback has virtually all of the perks and ride quality of the RX. I think the 2015/2016 Outback with the Eyesight system is also safer. I purchased the 450h for my wife. But, after a week she was feed-up with the thing and I went went down and picked up the Outback. It is a SUV with car like access and convenience.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-11-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 04:17 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Not getting a Subaru. Thanks though. I'll look into Zoom Bane, and I've got an email into RSR as well. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-15, 06:26 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Since you appear determined to follow this route, I think that one of our sponsors, Carson Toyota, can get some aftermarket parts from Japan. Look in the vendor section.

Here is the post by the guy who got Zoom Bane springs and lowered it 3 inches. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rk-wheels.html

I think smaller tires in addition to lowering is a bad idea as it will mess up the speedometer settings, mileage and acceleration.
How about a Venza?
Old 08-12-15, 06:33 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Wasn't trying to be a smart a**. But spending thousands to change the RX from its intended function seems to be counter productive. That said its your car....good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 08-12-15, 02:32 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Ditto!

P.S.
It is easier to load stuff at a higher height as you don't have to bend over. It's less hassle for me to put our youngest into the RX than into my 4-door STi.
Same applies to strollers and everything else.
Amen to that....I've got two under 2 and the RX is by far much easier to put them in vs. my LS sedan...

The rear swallows up both the big Evolution Bob stroller as well as the newborn's stroller.
Old 08-12-15, 03:53 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Amen to that....I've got two under 2 and the RX is by far much easier to put them in vs. my LS sedan...

The rear swallows up both the big Evolution Bob stroller as well as the newborn's stroller.
Agreed.

I have more trouble putting our 3 year old in our Venza than I do the RX.
Old 08-12-15, 06:48 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Why not add side-steps? She will be able to easily step up to set things into the side. Doesn't really fix loading the back, but it's better than ruining the handling while only lowering the car several inches.
That's actually an excellent idea. I've also seen those steps that attach to a tow hitch that would give a mid point in lifting the stroller up.

Well played sir
Old 09-14-16, 08:35 AM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Hello ZaxF,

What route did you end up going? I am considering the Zoom Bane springs with a 3" drop, but also concerned with the alignment after the drop.
Old 09-14-16, 11:00 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by X-TNSIV
Hello ZaxF,

What route did you end up going? I am considering the Zoom Bane springs with a 3" drop, but also concerned with the alignment after the drop.
Traded it in for a suburban....haha
Old 09-15-16, 08:57 AM
X-TNSIV
Driver

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Traded it in for a suburban....haha
Lol, not really one of the outcomes I was expecting either...!

Quick Reply: Lowering RX: For the wife