RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation Quit = No Heat, No Radio! ('11 RX350)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 02:23 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Navigation Quit = No Heat, No Radio! ('11 RX350)

The navigation system just quit in our 2011 RX350 with 90,000km on it. If it was just the Nav, it'd be fine, but you also lose: all audio, backup camera, temperature/climate control, and navigation. It really sucks that so many other things are linked to this.
I bet it's going to cost a fistful of money to fix it and I think we are out of warranty. Is there a reset procedure I could try? Some sort of magic combination of buttons held that would reset it?
Right now, it displays the Lexus logo with a couple of static lines, then there's a click that might be a relay and might be something coming through the speakers, then the screen goes a solid color (sometimes blue, red, green) and then blank. It repeats this sequence.
These cars seems SUPER common, so I'm thinking about sourcing a used system rather than a new or refurbished one from the dealer. Can anyone think of other options? How do aftermarket systems tie in with all these other features?
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-10-15, 09:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Major suckage! That is the single component in my RX that I'm afraid of it meeting its maker.
It is ridiculous that Toyota had decided to integrate so many components into what used to be just a radio.

Maybe one will pop up on e-bay. Some Chinese clones claim to have integration support built-in. I think they're full of it.
Old 09-11-15, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Sorry to hear ColAngus. I had screen failure on my '99 RX. No nav, backup camera or radio integration back then but it controlled just about everything else. It wasn't a fun drive to the dealer in the rain with the windshield fogging up. There have been a few similar cases including this one. Most including mine were under warranty. Have you thought about having the dealer diagnose the problem? That way you know if replacement is your only option. And they might know what's wrong right away. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-11-15, 09:42 AM
johnnylt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

don't the buttons on the side of the navi still work the climate controls?
Old 09-13-15, 01:20 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses! I was bummed when no one chimed in during the first few days.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Major suckage! That is the single component in my RX that I'm afraid of it meeting its maker.
It is ridiculous that Toyota had decided to integrate so many components into what used to be just a radio.

Maybe one will pop up on e-bay. Some Chinese clones claim to have integration support built-in. I think they're full of it.
Thanks. Once I get it figured out, I'll be checking eBay, etc for a replacement. I would more likely consider one from a wreck.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sorry to hear ColAngus. I had screen failure on my '99 RX. No nav, backup camera or radio integration back then but it controlled just about everything else. It wasn't a fun drive to the dealer in the rain with the windshield fogging up. There have been a few similar cases including this one. Most including mine were under warranty. Have you thought about having the dealer diagnose the problem? That way you know if replacement is your only option. And they might know what's wrong right away. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for that link. I had searched a bit for mainly keywords "Navigation" and "Nav" but I didn't see that one. We will be taking it to the dealer, this week to get an oil cooler pipe replaced under a recall. I'll have them diagnose it, then.

Originally Posted by johnnylt
don't the buttons on the side of the navi still work the climate controls?
You would think so... They kind of do, but not really. It seems whatever the temp was set at when it died is the new, permanent temp. The fan control works to just blow that air a little harder, but it doesn't properly change modes from defrost to vent to floor, etc.
It really sucks a pile of ****.
Old 09-14-15, 07:21 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey ColAngus when are you going to be on SNL again?

https://screen.yahoo.com/colonel-ang...000000562.html

We need more Cow Bell http://www.hulu.com/watch/536145

Last edited by azinn; 09-14-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 08:06 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you sure your fuse didnt blow? When I blew a fuse it disabled my back up camera and a few other things. Ask dealer to see if you have blown any fuses. My visit to my dealer ended up costing me over $300 for that issue. It was all because I switched out the reverse lights. I know its slightly different then your situtation but I thought id mention it. Doesnt hurt to look in your fuse box.
Old 09-26-15, 08:49 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

It's at the dealer and was initially misdiagnosed for some radio receiver part, or something that was going to be $2100 and ordered in (7 days). That didn't fix it at all, so they did the rest of the diagnosis for free, and hopefully properly. Now the "hard drive / ECU" is on order and the car is in pieces enough that it's stuck at the dealer all week waiting for this $1500+ part.
Old 01-13-16, 08:11 AM
GatorDW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blank Navigation System Fix

I just experienced the same problem with the nav unit on my daughter's ES350: everything went blank except the dual temp readings -- but could not change the temps. I thought it might be a fuse, but other systems (like door locks) still worked. I pulled and checked the fuses anyway, and all were good. After that, even the temp readings went blank. So, everything was blank: nav, temp, radio settings, etc.

I researched Technical Service Bulletins, and did not see any addressing this specific issue. Some may have, but they are very vague.

I looked through posts to this and another forum and found some interesting information/videos, as well as some complaints. But most posts ended with having dealer replace unit or doing it yourself with aftermarket unit.

I called nearest Lexus dealer (100 miles away) to speak with service department. I explained the problem and my simple diagnosis efforts, and asked if any TSBs. He said no -- without even checking. I asked cost to fix (i.e. replace) the unit -- $2,500!

Before I took the vehicle to the dealer, I left the car with a mechanic that specializes in automotive electronics. GLAD I DID!

HOPEFULLY WHAT HE FOUND/DID WILL HELP OTHERS:

He confirmed that all of the other systems were operational -- and found no computer codes. He explained that the other systems did not even register the nav system problem, even though all of the systems are interrelated and "talk" to each other. If the nav system was broken, it should have shown up with other systems. He checked all fuses and relays anyway (some are not readily accessible), and found all were good. Then he pulled the unit to check for broken solder joints on circuit board and found none.

THE FIX: crash the complete system and then perform full system re-boot and update.

NAV SYSTEM NOW WORKS!
Cost $200
Saved $2,300!

I hope this helps someone else.
Good Luck!

Last edited by GatorDW; 01-13-16 at 08:28 AM. Reason: NOT DONE
Old 01-13-16, 12:49 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDW

THE FIX: crash the complete system and then perform full system re-boot and update.

What does that mean?
Old 01-13-16, 01:45 PM
GatorDW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
What does that mean?
He completely cleared the memory by reinstalling the nav unit; then disconnecting the car battery and letting it sit for 20+ minutes; then connecting the positive and negative cables (without the battery so no current) for another 20+ minutes.
Then he rebooted the whole nav system via Bluetooth off his laptop from a Lexus site.
Old 01-17-16, 09:40 PM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

He completely cleared the memory by reinstalling the nav unit; then disconnecting the car battery and letting it sit for 20+ minutes; then connecting the positive and negative cables (without the battery so no current) for another 20+ minutes.
Then he rebooted the whole nav system via Bluetooth off his laptop from a Lexus site.
WOW, the days of fixing your car beside the road with baling wire and pliers is well & truly gone !!!

Old 01-18-16, 06:31 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

How did you find a mechanic that specializes in electronics?
Old 01-18-16, 03:54 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 873 Likes on 658 Posts

Yellow Pages?
Old 01-19-16, 05:04 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

"Bluetooth"?
"A Lexus site"?

What year allows updates and system reboots via Bluetooth?
What "Lexus site" would a non-dealer have access to that could fix this?

I don't think this is the whole story.

Quick Reply: Navigation Quit = No Heat, No Radio! ('11 RX350)