RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying Pre-owned Lexus from Non-Lexus Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 08:39 PM
vganesh27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Pre-owned Lexus from Non-Lexus Dealership

Dear Members
I am in the market for my first Lexus (an RX450h-pre-owned). They don't seem to be available much and the Lexus dealerships in the SF bay area don't seem to have the right color or mileage at this time. But I found one at Europa Motorcars Company (Non-Lexus dealership) that has the right color and mileage. If I buy from them, what will I miss? Will I not get the following:
1. Lexus 161 point inspection- does it really matter?
I think I will still get the Factory guarantee that I would get from Lexus dealership. This car has ~12k miles and I dont want to lose it but at the same time want to be careful and not make a mistake. This dealership has great reviews but I cant seem to figure out what additional benefits will a Lexus dealership offer? Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 09-14-15, 07:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

CPOs will have a premium of $2K or so. The Lexus dealer may have lifetime car washes for their customers.
You still get the same factory warranty. Just make sure the RX you're looking at has not been involved in a collision. Don't rely just on CarFax. Feel every crease and edge and see if the surface is smooth. It's not possible to polish out uneven surfaces after the repaint, so that's a tell-sign. You're looking for a sandpaper-like feel.
Old 09-14-15, 08:38 AM
lesguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or get a paint thickness meter from ebay/amazon. All panels should have the same thickness of paint (give or take a percent or two) if its all factory original paint. Alternatively, take the vehicle to a local body shop, pay them a few dollars and they will use their paint meter on the vehicle for you

I looked for weeks during my search. Lexus dealerships seem to get the cream of the crop from lease returns and trade ins. One step down (generally speaking) are non lexus dealerships (and Carmax) who keep the good trades and buy the top end auction vehicles. Next down are the smaller independent lots.

Best deals of all will be to purchase from a private owner directly who wants to get a bit more than Carmax would give them. If they have all maintenance records, clean carfax, and an overall extremely well maintaned version, with a good amount of the powertrain warranty left, you've (like I was able to do) found a deal. I was able to score a 2011 RX350 AWD with Navigation/Premium/Comfort, one owner, 41k miles, all records, clean carfax, etc for $27k. And of course no documentation/processing fees that dealers charge. Exact same model with same mileage is going for ~$31-$32k at the Lexus dealership and about $29k at non lexus lots.
Old 09-14-15, 08:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Car wash is included with service. Twice a year is better than none, LOL!. vganesh27, you can check the in service date to find out how much basic warranty is left. An extended warranty can be purchased prior to expiration. Also try registering on Lexus' website with the VIN to view the service history. A dealer might be able to print it out for you. The RXh should have had its first oil change around 10K and two tire rotations with lots of check this and that. And great point about looking for signs of damage. Have you taken it for a ride yet?
Old 09-14-15, 09:40 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,161 Likes on 990 Posts

I bought mine used from a Cadillac dealer and saved quite a bit over CPO, but then I am a cheapskate and a back yard mechanic who loves hunting down cherry used car bargains. Be sure to check both CarFax and AutoCheck as sometimes one will have data missed by the other. Do log on to the Lexus site with the VIN to check the service history. And there is no substitute for an independent mechanic inspection. If they do not agree to that, then run away from the car!
Old 09-14-15, 12:57 PM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

get a pre purchase inspection by a local mechanic. Or if you want, you can have lexus do the pre purchase inspection for you. be prepared to pay something ridiculous. it cost me $250.
Old 09-16-15, 07:52 AM
gusar
Driver

My first RX330 was from small dealership, was relatively cheap, but after accident. In about 4-5 years problems start to surface. My second RX350 is CPO, more expensive, but still has some warranty and hopefully more reliable (so far so good).
I wouldn't go for a hybrid - not from Lexus. Too much expensive electronics inside.
Old 09-17-15, 10:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gusar
My first RX330 was from small dealership, was relatively cheap, but after accident. In about 4-5 years problems start to surface. My second RX350 is CPO, more expensive, but still has some warranty and hopefully more reliable (so far so good).
I wouldn't go for a hybrid - not from Lexus. Too much expensive electronics inside.
I wouldn't buy a Hybrid from any company, but a Toyota, LOL. Too many expensive electronics inside.
Old 09-17-15, 03:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I've bought both my Lexus vehicles from a used car dealer. The Lexus dealers here think they are selling Lamborghini's or something and charge you way too much for a lesser optioned higher mileage car compared to the two I picked up from Texas Direct Auto. TDA sells so many cars that it could be there in the morning and by lunch time it's gone. I've had two very positive experiences buying both the RX in 2012 and my new ride 2013 GS350 two months ago from them. So it's not always a bad idea to shop at used car lots for deals. I looked over every inch on both my Lexus vehicles before I bought them. I checked paint, service history, vehicle history etc before I decided on the ones I have. Oh did I tell you I test drove 12-15(can't remember the correct #) RX350's before buying mine and test drove like 10 GS350's before I bought the one I have. Both my vehicles were lease returns and they were flawless. My relatives thought we bought brand new as the RX still had plastic on the scuff plates. Both had new car smells and all.
Old 09-17-15, 05:49 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gusar
I disagree. I'm on my 3rd Hybrid in 11 years., since we bought a new 2005 Prius. In fact I sold that car to my brother-in-law and it's still problem free. We had a 2012 CT200h that we recently traded for a RX450h.

Toyota/Lexus hybrid vehicles are great, either new or used.

In fact, Lexus hybrid system is warranted for 8ys/100,000 miles. That includes the Hybrid control module, battery control module, hybrid battery and inverter and converter.
Old 09-18-15, 12:15 PM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I disagree. I'm on my 3rd Hybrid in 11 years., since we bought a new 2005 Prius. In fact I sold that car to my brother-in-law and it's still problem free. We had a 2012 CT200h that we recently traded for a RX450h.

Toyota/Lexus hybrid vehicles are great, either new or used.

In fact, Lexus hybrid system is warranted for 8ys/100,000 miles. That includes the Hybrid control module, battery control module, hybrid battery and inverter and converter.
No denying they are great, my point is that Lexus or Toyota usually sells lease returns, but independent dealership probably will sell auction car or trade in. The probability buying defective vehicle is higher.
If you are able to test all aspects of it, then no problem. I cannot.
Old 09-19-15, 07:17 AM
tincan13
Driver

I've purchased my 2013 Lexus RX350 about a year ago from a small used car dealership that sells mostly Lexus vehicles. I bought my car here because the closest Lexus dealer is located out-of-State about seventy miles away. According to the Carfax reports, the cars are lease cars from the same Lexus new-car dealership that have all been serviced at the Lexus dealership prior to his acquiring them. I've had no problems with the car since I bought it.