RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Swapping 2010 to 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 09:02 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Swapping 2010 to 2015

So i just went to the dealer to change oil and they were really interested in doing a deal on my current 2010 RX and trade it for 2015 RX. They have a couple fully loaded 2015 models that go for 40-44k but very likely price could be reduced by a few grand and they valued my for 25k and if id put some downpayment i would be left with about 10 grand to pay out spread for a few years lets say. I was wondering if that would be a beneficial deal. My current RX just hit 52k miles, i will have to replace breaks and tires by next summer most likely because they are less than a half so thats about 2 grand investment, but since 2016 models will be out for sale in a few months, my vehicle will go down in price and if id like to switch it next year i will lose up to 10 grand probably. Given the fact that im not really a fan of 4th gen body, i would switch it to 2015 either regular model or F-Sport, so im thinking maybe financially it would be a better deal right now while my Lexus is still fairly valuable, what do you think? I really got no one go over this with, none of my friends thinking rationally.

TIA
Old 10-01-15, 07:50 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Let me get this straight, if you trade-up for a vehicle that is $20K more expensive, as long as you put a nice downpayment, the difference will be only $10K. Subtract $2K you will need for maintenance in the next 12 months, and you're now down to $8K.
Going by this logic, if you put a whole $20K downpayment, you'll be saving money!
Is this what your irrational friends told you?

This is purely an emotional decision. If you want a new RX and can afford one, go for it.
Is it a smart financial decision? Not really. Your current RX will depreciate far less than the new one you will get.

I would still question whether and RX is a good vehicle for you to begin with. Have you looked at the IS?
Old 10-04-15, 07:29 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Yes i have looked at IS, but im not a fan of it to be honest, its too small for me, i considered GS because i really like it, but its not an option because i dont have neither a driveway nor garage to keep it in. I wouldnt want to keep it outside the way i keep RX, people dont give two ****s about someone else's property and they would just ruin it. I have metal guards on the back of my RX and i got 3 good dents on them made by some idiots who can not park. RX is a very good car, its comfortable, multi-purpose, safe you know, i like it a lot. I was going to switch for a newer model (2015) next year, but by next year value of my car will drop but at least 5 grand if i were to trade it in i suppose? I love my rx, i would not want to give it up, its just that i will have to replace breaks in Spring or by summer for sure, tires by next winter, also i had a small fender-bender last week and it would cost me 500-600$ to fix my rear end ( paint job plus new bumper light unit), plus i had small leaks from rear shocks so i have to replace those soon once i feel them messing with a ride(apparently its common issue for RX), thats another few hundred bucks, so it adds up you know, so im thinking maybe instead of spending about 3 grand over the next year in repairs just put them down along with my current ride and get myself a new one RX F-Sport and the difference will come up to little bit less than 200$ a month which is affordable for me and i dont have to worry about any repairs for at least 2-3 years if not more, cuz Lexus' are reliable, especially ES and RX models, i just in between, i feel bad for giving up my baby that ive been taking care of for many years, yet new car sounds very tempting, but i cant decide whether its wise or no.
Old 10-04-15, 10:38 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It will cost you less in the long run to keep your 2010 w/52000 miles and invest $3k in it over the next year.

An AWD F-Sport will sticker for at least $52k and sell for about $47k plus dealer fees, tax tag and title. If you want and can afford a new RX only you can decide. My guess is that when you sit down to make the deal you will find that you will need to trade your RX and give them close to $30k not $20k.

Parallel parking on the streets in NY sucks. When I lived there we called it "touch parking" back up until you hit the car behind you then pull up until you tapped the bumper in front of you. That was in the days of big chrome bumpers that could handle it much better than today's bumper covers.
Old 10-05-15, 08:06 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I say keep your RX.
Old 10-05-15, 06:38 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

My wife and I often try to rationalize decisions so we can justify it to ourselves and I fear that may be what you are doing here. On the other hand, if you can comfortably fit it in your budget, I say go for it. Just don't have any illusions about whether it is a "wise" decision or not. The wisdom of such a decision is going to depend on your perspective, but I don't see any way it could be considered a financially wise decision - but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the wrong decision. We all make occasional decisions for reasons that may not be financially wise ...

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-05-15, 08:05 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

I guess i need to order myself shocks just fix my baby

thanks for the contribution.
Old 10-06-15, 05:46 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Yurka
Yes i have looked at IS, but im not a fan of it to be honest, its too small for me, i considered GS because i really like it, but its not an option because i dont have neither a driveway nor garage to keep it in. I wouldnt want to keep it outside the way i keep RX, people dont give two ****s about someone else's property and they would just ruin it. I have metal guards on the back of my RX and i got 3 good dents on them made by some idiots who can not park. RX is a very good car, its comfortable, multi-purpose, safe you know, i like it a lot. I was going to switch for a newer model (2015) next year, but by next year value of my car will drop but at least 5 grand if i were to trade it in i suppose? I love my rx, i would not want to give it up, its just that i will have to replace breaks in Spring or by summer for sure, tires by next winter, also i had a small fender-bender last week and it would cost me 500-600$ to fix my rear end ( paint job plus new bumper light unit), plus i had small leaks from rear shocks so i have to replace those soon once i feel them messing with a ride(apparently its common issue for RX), thats another few hundred bucks, so it adds up you know, so im thinking maybe instead of spending about 3 grand over the next year in repairs just put them down along with my current ride and get myself a new one RX F-Sport and the difference will come up to little bit less than 200$ a month which is affordable for me and i dont have to worry about any repairs for at least 2-3 years if not more, cuz Lexus' are reliable, especially ES and RX models, i just in between, i feel bad for giving up my baby that ive been taking care of for many years, yet new car sounds very tempting, but i cant decide whether its wise or no.
Since you mentioned the F-Sport several times the only advice I am going to offer is this. Make sure you take an extended test drive in the F-Sport because it's not for everyone.

While I really like the balance between the ride and more secure handling (not to mention the F-Sports looks), some people may find it rides too rough. And since you're coming from a non F-Sport it is going to feel totally different. So if you do consider one test drive it over some bumps to get a good feel for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.