RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hood shield/protector/deflector options

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 07:11 AM
germangs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Maybe a clear front end bra to cover hood the front.
I just bought 2013 RDX Nebula grey and I see several chipped spots on the hood and headlights.
It could be that having just a hood deflector may not be enough.
Old 10-19-15, 12:46 PM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by germangs
That's what I was thinking. Maybe a clear front end bra to cover hood the front.
I just bought 2013 RDX Nebula grey and I see several chipped spots on the hood and headlights.
It could be that having just a hood deflector may not be enough.
For clear bra (film) have it longer.
I've got installed just a minimal one (don't remember the exact length), but chips appear almost in the middle of the hood.

Last edited by gusar; 10-21-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 04:20 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hood shield/protector/deflector options

I am about to have a deal of 3rd gen Rx and would like to have hood protector in it.

Is there any other options than black/dark one?

Can you even get any other than Oem?

I have been very happy AVS bug deflector,
much stronger structure than I had in two oem Toyota deflectors made by Egrauto.

I have found only dark ones that seem quite the same all:
Lexus Oem part number for Hood deflector, black
PZ451-K0530-ZA
This has same small plastic clips that I had other vehicle and they tend to jump open time to time.
Attached Files
Old 12-20-15, 08:53 PM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In US, there isn't even one available. I think mine is the only one in my area that has one. I got it from canadian ebay dealer. You can alway use those 3m clear bra
Old 12-20-15, 10:59 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
In US, there isn't even one available. I think mine is the only one in my area that has one. I got it from canadian ebay dealer. You can alway use those 3m clear bra
Thanks I have faced same result after doing some searching.

Do you have the Oem one? How does it attach to the hood edge?

Apart from the Lexus part number deflector, this is the only other one seen for sale.
But maybe it is the same after all, looks quite alike? I could imagine I can see Lexus written on it (not, but formfit?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251782400410

Updated above one is Formfit, somehow I didn't read details of it well enough
Formfit is offering protector with part number HD 24A10 but where to find reseller that ships abroad...

Last edited by rns; 12-21-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 01:53 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rns
Formfit is offering protector with part number HD 24A10 but where to find reseller that ships abroad...
Anyone knowing seller who would have these in stock and are able/willing to ship abroad from US/Canada?

I found one seller and sounded right but
seems they are unable to get one in stock for shipping
Old 01-19-16, 06:21 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the eBay version. It's an exact fit and protects well against highway stones etc. although it does tend to give some wind noise. I figure in a few yes I may remove it Small price to pay to keep a black RX hood looking sweet
Old 01-20-16, 08:47 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you thought about the clear film that protects against stone chips . You barely see it and it can be taken off with out harming the paint .
Old 10-10-16, 11:38 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Barry2522
Have you thought about the clear film that protects against stone chips . You barely see it and it can be taken off with out harming the paint .
Sorry to giving answer late but I am aware of the film but prefer the shield that gives some different looks for the vehicle.

Originally Posted by rns
Anyone knowing seller who would have these in stock and are able/willing to ship abroad from US/Canada?
I found one seller and sounded right but
seems they are unable to get one in stock for shipping
With unluck to get Formfit (that would have been with shipping and customs over 500USD) or any other than Oem deflector in some decent price, I found Airplex guards:
http://www.airplex.co.nz/lexus/rx350/2009-on.html

My Rx is white so I decided to get their clear, translucent guard.
I'll be receiving it through their Swedish dealer in moderate price of 135USD including all costs.
Old 10-12-16, 12:50 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rns
My Rx is white so I decided to get their clear, translucent guard.
Bonnet guard arrived. It was easy to install, no tools were needed.
I was worried about those w-clips that hold the ends but they feel very firm.

It really is translucent you won't notice it if you don't look for it unless you are close to the car.

I had black hood defector in my previous pearl white vehicle but it altered the looks too much for me.
Attached Thumbnails Hood shield/protector/deflector options-airplex_bg518dc.jpg   Hood shield/protector/deflector options-bonnetguard-1.jpg   Hood shield/protector/deflector options-bonnetguard-2.jpg  

Last edited by rns; 10-12-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 01:00 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks good. To further clean up the appearance, you could get some touch-up paint and paint those clips to match so they are not as noticeable.
Old 10-12-16, 01:18 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by F250
Looks good. To further clean up the appearance, you could get some touch-up paint and paint those clips to match so they are not as noticeable.
Thanks and Good idea.
I do have touch-up paint and I wanted to fix some stone hits on that area this guard now protects but it was too cold weather to do that.
If I painted those clips, I would do taking them off as I I have some left-over colorcode 070 in spray can (I painted parking radar sensors and blindspot mirror in old car).
Old 10-12-16, 01:38 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I just got through having to respray a front paint-match bumper on another vehicle I'm selling, and was quite surprised at how easy it is to do a respectfully good job with a rattle can. My local body shop wanted $275 with me removing the bumper and the plastic trim for him. I ended up just taping and masking it off, shielding the front of the car well, and did it myself for about $40 (primer, base coat, and then clear coat). Good prep, patience, and care makes the job easy.
Old 11-05-16, 11:47 AM
sroberts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
my RX has a clear vinyl sheet or bra on the front edge of the hood. Can I use that Canadian-made hood deflector you mentioned with the double sided 3m tape and place that right over the vinyl? Or should I surgically cut away some of the vinyl so that the tape holders can be placed directly on the painted surface? Will it stick just as well to the vinyl bra?
Old 11-05-16, 12:03 PM
sroberts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rns
Thanks I have faced same result after doing some searching.

Do you have the Oem one? How does it attach to the hood edge?

Apart from the Lexus part number deflector, this is the only other one seen for sale.
But maybe it is the same after all, looks quite alike? I could imagine I can see Lexus written on it (not, but formfit?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251782400410

It uses double sided tape for the mounting brackets. I bought that same one on Ebay from that IL dealer. My only concern is can the double-sided tape be placed on the clear vinyl sheet bra that was put on there before or do those mounts have to go directly on the painted surface, and therefore I would have to surgically cut holes for them.

Quick Reply: Hood shield/protector/deflector options