RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 06:01 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steerpike
Hello there ... I'm looking at buying a used RX350 (2013). I'm currently test-driving a model with most of the optional packages installed (everything but the 'luxury package', it would seem - so no extendable seat cushion, headlight washers, etc). It has 19" wheels, leather seats, heated/cooled seats, NAV, etc.

I'm very happy with many features - quiet, smooth, powerful, great bluetooth, etc but I'm having one major issue - the driver's seat. Despite the many adjustment options, I can't seem to get comfortable. A few reviews have noted a lack of thigh support, and this one seems to agree with my observations: "Our only gripe remains that the standard front seats are a little flat and have odd back contouring". Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I note that the luxury package includes a seat with "power front seat cushion extenders"... but the dealer doesn't have any models with that option available. Does that make a big difference?

The car also has the wood-trimmed steering wheel, which looks great but feels awful ... I'm guessing I'd have to put a leather cover around that to deal with it.

Finally - the ride is not as smooth as I'd like; since it has the 19" wheels, I'm guessing that is the cause (from the same review above: "the ride can be sharper (though still not rough) with the 19-inch wheel options."). I'm asking the dealer if he'd swap the 19" wheels with the 18" wheels on another RX 350 in the shop (should be a good deal for him as the 19" wheels look better and cost more).

I've already ruled out the Acura and Infiniti alternatives, and can't risk the European alternatives (reliability/cost) given the amount of miles I drive (30k / year).

Thanks for any suggestions.
It's strange that you are not comfortable in your RX. I am now enjoying my second RX. My first one was a 2010 RX450h. The new one, which I purchased in August, is a 2015 RX450h. I replaced the first one because I liked it so much I wanted to keep it forever. Seeing the style of the 2016 in April, which I hated, I decided I would get a brand new 2015 to re-set the clock on my warranty and ride out the next 5 or 6 years with a 2015, hoping Lexus comes to their senses and softens the exterior design of the RX before I am ready for a new one again. I always thought the seats in my old car were just fine. I took two really long cross country trips in my 2010. 6000 miles from Washington, DC to Yellowstone N.P. in Wyoming, and then just this summer another 5,000mile drive out to Taos, New Mexico. Long rides in the RX have always been extremely comfortable. My car has the 19" wheels and I have never found the ride to be anything but smooth. My other car is a Lexus GS 350AWD. That car has a rough ride, but not the RX. I even keep my Michelin tires a bit over inflated, but that hasn't made the ride rough. I do keep the drivers seat back support airbag thing completely deflated. I have never found inflating that bag behind my back in the drivers seat to be the slightest bit comfortable. I like my seat back slightly reclined and my steering wheel tilted all the way down. My 2015 RX has the "Luxury Package" and that has added the adjustable bolster. That really doesn't do much. The front edge of the seat can extend about an inch and a half to two inches. It sort of rolls out from under the seat when you press the button. I can't feel where it does anything to your comfort. It does put additional seat cushion under your knees, but you hardly feel the difference. I will say the Semi-aniline leather is a bit softer and smells really good, like a Gucci handbag store. In the summer heat the car smells yummy when you get in, not like a Mercedes or BMW, which I have always thought had horrible smelling leather.
The steering wheel of the 2015 has the matt finish Bamboo. I have found that the matt finish is less appealing than the shiny smoother wood in the 2010. I liked the color of the darker wood more too. But I don't have any problem driving with the wood steering wheel. I prefer the wood to the leather part of the steering wheel. Except the heated leather parts of the steering wheel do feel nice on cold mornings now that it's Winter.
If you haven't experienced the heated steering wheel yet, it's nice. That's part of the Luxury package too, as is the L.E.D. headlamps. Definitely worth the money. I have found the wood part of the steering wheel makes going around a corner easier, because your hands can slide on the wood easier as you straighten the wheel. I do find the fatter steering wheel a little of an adjustment from the thinner wheel in the 2010. I prefer the thinner wheel. I don't know why the wheel was made fatter. Maybe so the wood sections matched the thickness of the sections with the heaters hidden under the leather cover. About the LED headlamps that come with the Luxury package. I really like them. I didn't think I would care, but they are brighter and light up the road better. My only disappointment was that the high beams are still Quartz Halogen not LED. The color is warmer on the highbeams, as you would expect from filament bulbs. That was a surprise. The headlamps on the 2010 were "Bi-zenon" which means H.I.D.s with a mechanical shutter to crop the top of the beam off for low beam, and then the shutter mechanically flips up out of the way to reveal the full beam for what we call High beam. No additional lights are turning on in the 2010 H.I.D. headlamp when you switch to high beam. You loose that with the L.E.D. headlamps.
The one thing that has driven me crazy with every Toyota and Lexus car is the cruise control lever. It moves around with the steering wheel. I don't mind the placement of the control, but it should be fixed to the column not attached to the rotating wheel. It seems when ever I am reaching for it to cancel it, like on an exit ramp, the darn thing is not there anymore because it rotated around. No body attaches control sticks to the wheel. If you want a button on the wheel you put it on the surface facing you, like the radio or cell phone controls. But there is enough stuff on the steering wheel now, just put the cruise control on the column and make it stay in one place not rotate. Am I right?
One last thing to mention, if you swap wheels with another car to get 18" wheels, don't forget to swap the Tire Pressure sensors. You may have to dismount the tires and replace the valve seals. It might be costly. I'd just get use to the 19" wheels. If you don't swap the sensors, you have to re-initialize the sensors at a Lexus dealership. They charge for that sometimes. I heard $100.00 dollars, per car!
Old 12-30-15, 06:06 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reinitializing sensors procedure is described in owners manual. Its pain to get to but is easy. Even I can do it and I stay away from manual labor just like Trump avoids riding in open-top convertibles.
Old 01-04-16, 07:01 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe with the lux pkge the seats are different, the seat extends. I have a 2015 RX350 F-Sport and I can not get comfortable either. The RX I test drove had the lux pkge but then I saw an F-Sport and bought it, not realizing the seats were different, a very costly mistake. I did by it during the December sale and got $5000 off msrp though.
Old 01-04-16, 10:57 AM
rxgs2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The button under the dash

Originally Posted by chandlervt
Reinitializing sensors procedure is described in owners manual. Its pain to get to but is easy. Even I can do it and I stay away from manual labor just like Trump avoids riding in open-top convertibles.
I thought the small "Reset" button under the dash simply calibrated the sensors once you had the pressure in the tires at a desirable pressure.
I heard the sensor ID was set by using the scan tool that the Service department has at the Lexus dealership. I think there is a unique ID number for every sensor, otherwise one car stopped next to another would be transmitting pressure data which your car would pick up. I guess I have to read more about it. If registering a new sensor is as easy as pressing that button, I wonder why the manual says you have to take it to the dealer?
I think the T.P.S. uses the same radio receiver as the Key remote to unlock the doors, with similar frequencies. I think the wheel sensors report intermittently to save on battery life. I also heard the sensors are not serviceable. The batteries are epoxied in place. So if you swap wheels, make sure they are NEW wheels. You wouldn't want 10 year old sensors with dead batteries. The sensors are $100.00 dollars a piece.