RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

This is a great vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-16, 11:03 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
Talking This is a great vehicle

The RX is my wife's so I don't really drive much except on the weekends. I never really appreciated the car since I always like to be in my GS. We parked the car at the airport and left for about a week during holiday. The minute I got back in the car, I realized how much I have "abandoned" her. I managed the time to give her a nice bathe and clay barred her again. This car is nice, folks.
Old 01-08-16, 11:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Agreed.

We find ours to be comfortable, spacious, reliable, and well equipped. Much like you, it's my wife's primary vehicle while I drive the GS. The RX is our go-to vehicle on the weekends as it's easy to get the kids in and out of, to carry all of our gear, and to cruise along effortlessly and safely.

I am frequently surprised at just how much I like and appreciate our RX.
Old 01-09-16, 06:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

We sure enjoy ours, but we don't drive it much. My wife and I carpool in our ES 300h (and Prius before that) so we mostly just drive the RX on weekends or days I have an appointment of some sort (and a camping trip last summer). On those days we have both cars out I tend to drive the RX as I have the shorter drive and I'm taller so ingress/egress is easier for me. I still enjoy the opportunity to take the RX out, even if it is more work to clean and detail. The only disappointment I have are a few rattles, but there are so many positives I have been able to overlook that particular issue. These are just really comfortable cars and we plan to keep ours for many years.
Old 01-09-16, 06:32 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I read review after review and all said the same things. Nice, but highly boring, so I was staying away from them. Drove just about everything in its class, then said what the heck, I have to see for myself? I honestly don't see what the hubbub is about the car being boring. It definitely won't go around the track like an X3. It doesn't have a beastly rumbling V8 like some, but none of the cars I drove were as plush and quiet and well polished as the RX. It's great to go bumping down the road and making 90 degree turns at 50, but that gets old after a while. For a car that keeps you relaxed to and from your destination regardless of road conditions, the RX wins hands down. Boring to me is a car that does nothing well. The RX is far from that.
Old 01-09-16, 09:07 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rj4510
I read review after review and all said the same things. Nice, but highly boring, so I was staying away from them. Drove just about everything in its class, then said what the heck, I have to see for myself? I honestly don't see what the hubbub is about the car being boring. It definitely won't go around the track like an X3. It doesn't have a beastly rumbling V8 like some, but none of the cars I drove were as plush and quiet and well polished as the RX. It's great to go bumping down the road and making 90 degree turns at 50, but that gets old after a while. For a car that keeps you relaxed to and from your destination regardless of road conditions, the RX wins hands down. Boring to me is a car that does nothing well. The RX is far from that.
1000 times Amen!
Old 01-10-16, 05:22 AM
1111GS

Originally Posted by JDR76
This has become more and more true to me these past couple of months, either I'm getting old or the 19". I'm not complaining though. Still enjoy the fresh look after each wash.
Old 01-10-16, 06:23 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have much more confidence on the 2011 than on our previous 2004 Sport package with the air suspension. That one was "scary" from a maintenance perspective.
Old 01-11-16, 10:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Great story. I saw the pic of your RX after the bath in the 'what have you done to your 3RX today' thread. Looks great! And yes, it definitely qualifies. The RX never gets old, just me I loved every one. The differences with each gen made them special. No surprise, I went ahead and ordered my 4RX
Old 01-11-16, 12:06 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Agreed.

We find ours to be comfortable, spacious, reliable, and well equipped. Much like you, it's my wife's primary vehicle while I drive the GS. The RX is our go-to vehicle on the weekends as it's easy to get the kids in and out of, to carry all of our gear, and to cruise along effortlessly and safely.

Same here, it's my wife's vehicle and I enjoy driving it when I get the chance. I really appreciate how refined it is.
Old 01-11-16, 02:39 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
I agree with you 100 percent.

Yes, the car critics are correct about the RX350 not being as sporty as a BMW X6 or Infiniti FX50.

However, the car is perfect for comfortable relaxing commuting and long trips.

If you read most reviews the RX models are really good in the test for lane changes except that the stability safety software is very aggressive and do not allow for high speed cornering without interfering.

Yes, an over aggressive ESC system is bad for professional drivers who can handle a car that gets a little out-of-control, but is perfect for a real world car being used by families to safely move from point A to B.

I feel that the RX350 is a great car and love to drive it around town to Cosco and so forth.

It is a perfect SUV for my wife to drive day to day with more than enough performance to pass and make rapid lane changes while delivering a nice smooth quiet ride.

However, I do not like the OEM brake pads because they seem formulated to deliver more of a smooth braking experience as opposed to an aggressive initial bite when first applying the brake, but a set of more aggressive aftermarket Ceramic pad cured my braking complaint so a simple fix for me.

Besides OEM braking, the RX350 is perfect to me and my wife.

Last edited by carguy75; 01-11-16 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 10:40 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Great story. I saw the pic of your RX after the bath in the 'what have you done to your 3RX today' thread. Looks great! And yes, it definitely qualifies. The RX never gets old, just me I loved every one. The differences with each gen made them special. No surprise, I went ahead and ordered my 4RX
What color and options did you order for your 4RX?
Old 01-13-16, 10:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by charley95
What color and options did you order for your 4RX?
Fully loaded 450h F-Sport. Not because there's anything wrong with my current 450h. Six years old with 42K miles and it's still going strong. I almost feel guilty getting a new RXh. It's just that I like to get the next gen when it comes out.
Old 01-13-16, 10:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Fully loaded 450h F-Sport. Not because there's anything wrong with my current 450h. Six years old with 42K miles and it's still going strong. I almost feel guilty getting a new RXh. It's just that I like to get the next gen when it comes out.
I like the new one. They did a great job on the interior. I'll have to drive my 14 RX a few more years before getting the new one since I only have 15k on mine. Be sure to post pics. on the other side when you get it.
Old 01-21-16, 11:09 AM
1111GS

Wow... Nice. Congrats! If it's not the rx, it must be the love of being an rx mod then!

We were in ours and saw a new one. I asked her what she thought about it. She said she liked hers more. A bit too edgy and the exhaust opening is a bit out of shape (my opinion). Then an identical rx like ours pulled up behind the new one. She then said, "I changed my mind."

Last edited by 1111GS; 01-21-16 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-21-16, 01:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

LOL! Plenty of RXs by me too. I usually stay away from the most popular color to stick out a little. This time it wound up being the opposite . And truth is, it's never been love at first sight with each gen RX. But I will miss the pre-spindle grill on the 450h.