RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New? dealer "diagnosis fee"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 03:44 AM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New? dealer "diagnosis fee"

I took our CPO car into the dealer the other day for a few issues. The service person mentioned a $149 "diagnosis fee." I said that we have the CPO warranty and have not paid such a fee before. They were able to quickly fix the problems so it did not become an issue and I did not have to question it further.

This seems pretty sketchy and goes against the CPO warranty that the dealer touted when we purchased the car.

Our rear defroster and driver side heated mirror is not working and I have to take it in again. I want to know what others have encountered before I book the appointment.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-16, 04:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

If the diagnosis fee is pertaining to the items covered under the CPO warranty than you should not be paying for anything. If the $149 is for checking over the car for potential problems or maintenance you do not need that service.
Old 01-13-16, 05:09 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

During a service visit I overheard an SA explaining to a customer with an older ES that there would be a diagnosis fee of $$$ (I don't recall the amount). However if Lexus found the problem and did the work the fee would be waived.

IMO I think a lot of dealers, regardless of brand, are doing this because people are having their cars diagnosed at the dealer and then having it repaired elsewhere to save money.
Old 01-13-16, 05:27 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by snowy
I took our CPO car into the dealer the other day for a few issues. The service person mentioned a $149 "diagnosis fee." I said that we have the CPO warranty and have not paid such a fee before. They were able to quickly fix the problems so it did not become an issue and I did not have to question it further.

This seems pretty sketchy and goes against the CPO warranty that the dealer touted when we purchased the car.

Our rear defroster and driver side heated mirror is not working and I have to take it in again. I want to know what others have encountered before I book the appointment.

Thanks!
Most dealerships charge a service fee to inspect a car that comes in for service unless the car is still under a warranty.

Many service managers will give a fee based on the year of the car until you provide them with more information about CPO status,aftermarket warranty,etc.

It sounds like the service manger gave you a fee when you walk in based on the year/mileage of your RX, but removed it when you stated that it was covered under a CPO warranty.

Remember, not all older RX's are covered by CPO warranties.
Old 01-13-16, 06:57 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealers will give an estimate of one hour labor to diagnose a problem with the car (like the heater not blowing warm air) to cover themselves if it turns out not to be a covered item under warranty and/or the client declines to repair the car. If the repair is covered under warranty, then there would be no charge for the repairs/diagnosis, and most dealers do not charge a diagnosis fee if the client authorizes the repair recommended after it is diagnosed.

In this case, I bet the dealer asked for the authorization because CPO does not cover everything on the car, and they wanted to be covered if it was not a covered repair and the client declined repairs after diagnosis.
Old 01-16-16, 01:07 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I called up for an appointment I asked about the fee and mentioned that it was under the CPO warranty. They confirmed that since it was under the CPO there was not going to be a charge. Unfortunately they were unable to fix the problem (broken rear defroster and driver side heated mirror) and will take the car back next week once the work is authorized by Lexus.
Old 01-16-16, 09:07 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car was 3 months out of warranty. I had to pay $425 for the AC not cold diagnosis fee.