RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 03:13 PM
BP1203
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability

Questions for those with 3rd Gen RX's with over 75,000 miles on the clock of their cars or now turning 6/7 years old : any issues you have encountered? If so, what are those issues? Debating if I should buy an extended warranty. This thread isn't about cost of the warranty, but the reliability issues (?) if anyone has had any. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 02-21-16, 06:47 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

It all depends on if you are willing to do you own work on your car or not.

If so, it seems that the RX350 need only wear and tear items repaired/replaced like brake rotors, spark plugs, suspension parts and maybe a wheel bearing.

I read about a few owners complaining about some of the electronics.

However, I have not heard of many owners complaining about anything serious very often.

These can be costly to repair on your own, but the RX350 is fairly easy to repair/maintain yourself for the most part in my opinion.

For a little peace of mind if you are not a DIY'er then I would recommend the extended warranty for any surprises that may happen.

If you are a fellow "shade tree mechanic" then you would may be able to just repair most issues fairly cheaply compared to having to visit a repair shop, if so I would say save your money and do not buy the extended warranty.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-21-16 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 07:28 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your money in your pocket and deal with any issues as they come up. Rarely does extended warranty on a lexus work in favor of the customer.

Never bought extended warranty and I've used that extra cash for routine wear and tear such as brakes and tires.

Originally Posted by BP1203
Questions for those with 3rd Gen RX's with over 75,000 miles on the clock of their cars or now turning 6/7 years old : any issues you have encountered? If so, what are those issues? Debating if I should buy an extended warranty. This thread isn't about cost of the warranty, but the reliability issues (?) if anyone has had any. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 02-22-16, 10:28 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Just crossed 80k on a hiking trip this weekend. No problems since I bought it though I suspect the alignment needs some correction.

I do have extended warranty and hope I don't have to use it. All minor maintenance is performed by myself.
Old 02-22-16, 02:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have about 70k miles on my 2013. Hasn't left me on the side of the road.
Old 02-22-16, 03:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I might not qualify mileage-wise (only 42.7K) but certainly age-wise. My RXh is over six years old. Nothing to leave me stranded, just a little cold. Remote start module had to be replaced - no charge. It only affected certain 2010 RXs. There was also a problem with a discolored tailgate emblem but 450h is a little different than the 350. My sport sister, Sandi_k, was at 161K last month on her 350. It could be higher by now. For her it's been just a matter of replacing normal wear and tear items over the past six years.
Old 02-23-16, 06:38 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Yeah, extended warranties are simply a bad deal. That's why I'm getting (literally) five calls per week on my 2013 RX 350. Very profitable for those who peddle them.

I also strongly recommended finding a good, reliable Toyota dealer for general maintenance. Compared to the published estimates of service costs issued by Lexus, I am paying
less than half that mount for solid Toyota service.

My car is three years old and I've had no repairs required whatsoever.
Which is pretty much why I bought a Lexus in the first place (reputation for reliability).
Old 02-23-16, 02:33 PM
BP1203
Rookie

I"m also using the local Toyota dealer for service. They even give me a no charge rental. I've owned other Toyotas in the past. When we bought my wife's car I asked the service manager if they could service my wife's then at the time ES350. He told me to look around the lot. Needless to say, quite a few folks take their cars to the Toyota dealer for the same reason I do: I work hard for my money, and spending $150 for an oil change and other "checks" is the closest thing to legalized embezzlement. Looks like I'll skip the warranty and stay on top of the service (I have receipts from day 1 for all of my cars). Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 02-23-16, 03:18 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Our 2010 RX is 5 1/2 years old with 64,000 miles. No breakdowns, but the rear liftgate failed completely last summer, a $1,500 repair that was covered under the Lexus Extended Warranty. That almost covers the cost of the warranty which runs to Nov. 2018 or 100,000 miles. So the warranty has been almost a wash so far, and if something else crops up in the next 2 1/2 years it will probably pay for itself.
Old 02-24-16, 03:34 PM
fre3way3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BP1203
I wouldn't bother with any warranty. Lexus is known for its reliability and I would rather spend that money when something breaks rather than pay for a warranty and not have the chance to use it.
Old 02-24-16, 03:48 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fre3way3
I wouldn't bother with any warranty. Lexus is known for its reliability and I would rather spend that money when something breaks rather than pay for a warranty and not have the chance to use it.
I would generally agree with your idea, but the electronic systems in these cars are getting more and more complicated and costs can run up very quickly, ever price a new Nav unit? And some have gone out. It's like all insurance, you hope you never have to use it. It's a question that can be argued from many viewpoints, each one has some validity.
Old 02-26-16, 11:48 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I have the highest mileage 3rd Gen - just passed 165k miles. When I posted a year ago, this was my list (with current updates noted parenthetically):

My 350 is doing well enough. Things I've noticed/done as the mileage creeps higher:

- A little squeakier than it used to be, but not annoyingly so. (There is now a real annoying squeak on the right read strut; no leakage, but it's noisy going over bumps).

- The strut that holds up the hatch is failing, so the hatch droops. I've just been shoving it up manually, but my husband has whacked his head a time or two on it. (Still not replaced - no leaks, just a little saggy).

- I had to replace one headlight a few months back; one bulb had failed. (Ha! Another bulb just died, so that's on my list to fix this weekend. Also, one rear light in the night lights array has failed, so I have to get that one, too).

- My battery is beginning to test a little low, so I should get one soon. (Just finally replaced it two weeks ago, at 160k miles).

- Front brakes were done at 94,141 miles; rear brakes at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Replaced sparkplugs and wires at 120,564. (No updates here).

- Tires: replaced the Dunlops with Yokohama Parada Spec-X's at 44k; loved them. Replaced them with the Nitto Crosstek's recommended by my tire guy at 107k - don't like them as much. (Will be looking to replace these soon with a new set of the Parada Spec-X's).

- I took it to a local shop for the 150k service late last year; flushed the radiator fluid, checked the thermostat and water pump - no problems. Checked the hoses and belts - no issues yet. In fact, many of the hoses are metal lines, with only a rubber coupling. The indy shop was very impressed with how well-built the mechanics on this car are....

- I did have an alignment done (the first one!) last month. Cost was $90.

So, to answer your question: Nope, I would not pay for the extended warranty.