RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 06:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Poor application i.e a rushed job will cause rain X smear when using wipers at night.

With rain x in general you will get a very slight smear but it should disappear so fast that it doesn't make driving an issue.

If its some kind of oil on the surface, windex won't shift it. Its just a glass cleaner which are only really any good for dust or fingerprints/streaks from putting windows down etc

You'll need to clay bar and polish the glass to remove any build up of oil.
Old 03-19-16, 11:33 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm presently using Rain-X Latitude wipers and have no streaking problem. I'm on my second pair. I will admit the OEM's lasted longer but I got a really good deal on the Latitudes.
Old 03-19-16, 01:26 PM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
I have Bosch Icon wipers on my 2011 RX and have no smearing issues.
Does anyone know if Bosch Icon wipers are available for the rear wiper?

I see Trico Exact Fit available for the rear. Besides going to the dealer, any other brands available?

Thanks.

Last edited by BenRX; 03-19-16 at 01:47 PM. Reason: udpate
Old 03-19-16, 04:58 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my last Toyota inserts from Amazon.... have you looked there?
Old 03-19-16, 05:16 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

klwagoner - Do you run your car thru a car wash? Your streaking may be from the chemicals. Also, if you're using blue paper shop towels to wipe your windshield, they leave residue. I agree with the people that recommend Invisible Glass and newspapers. Invisible Glass is alcohol and Newspapers have "tooth" on the surface which helps lift grime off. Here's something from the Internet which everyone knows is the truth. HA HA http://www.grandparents.com/food-and...-for-newspaper
Ray A.
Old 03-19-16, 05:36 PM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airboss
I bought my last Toyota inserts from Amazon.... have you looked there?
I would prefer replacing the wiper and not just the inserts.

Yes, I have searched Amazon and it appears only the Trico Exact Fits are available for the rear. Was wondering if others have used other brands/models for the rear.
Old 03-19-16, 06:49 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenRX
I would prefer replacing the wiper and not just the inserts.

Yes, I have searched Amazon and it appears only the Trico Exact Fits are available for the rear. Was wondering if others have used other brands/models for the rear.
Not a problem, to each his own.

I hadn't consider the inserts until the Toyota stealer said mine needed replaced and quoted me the inserts. And, I was a bit surprised to notice my 2015 has no rear wiper.
Old 03-19-16, 07:26 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRX
Does anyone know if Bosch Icon wipers are available for the rear wiper?

I see Trico Exact Fit available for the rear. Besides going to the dealer, any other brands available?

Thanks.
Bosch Icons do not have a rear version, however Bosch OE does called the H409 rear wiper blade.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/en/aut...ar?partId=H409
Amazon.com: Bosch H409 / 3397011431 Rear Original Equipment Replacement Wiper Blade - 16" (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Bosch H409 / 3397011431 Rear Original Equipment Replacement Wiper Blade - 16" (Pack of 1): Automotive
Old 03-20-16, 02:21 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck changing out the rear wiper. I've tried but to no avail. Probably why Lexus decided to just not put them on the 2015 models because they're so hard to change.
Old 03-20-16, 07:22 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by TomT127
Good luck changing out the rear wiper. I've tried but to no avail. Probably why Lexus decided to just not put them on the 2015 models because they're so hard to change.
LOL.

I was surprised that i have a rear wiper since it is hidden up in the rear roof spoiler.

I actually did not know it was there until it rained and I noticed the rear wiper switch and it worked.

I really thought that the RX did not have a rear wiper when I first bought it.

Changing it does seem challenging.
Old 03-20-16, 07:39 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i just stick to oem, i just changed my ls460 to bosh - they creaked and for about a week - i couldnt take it since the cars are so quiet. But about 60$ for oem wipers was a over kill and you know what i ordered denso wipers from amazon-

they are basically the exact same oem wipers for 1/3 of the price not in the toyota/lex packaging.

i would recommend them!
Originally Posted by klwagoner
I'm sure that sounds like a stupid question, but I've had my Lexus 2 years and 2 weeks. Since I've had it something about the wipers (I assume) make a smear on the windshield that is difficult to see through in the rain after dark (as if I don't already have enough issues with that). I have put new wipers (Bosch) on it more than once and that makes no difference. I wish I could explain the smearing......kind of looks as if maybe there's wax or something on the windshield? I've cleaned them with Windex and treated with RainX and still no difference. The only thing I haven't done is buy Lexus wipers. Could that possibly fix the problem? I paid $40 for the last new wipers I bought so I hate to guess what Lexus charges for theirs which is why I'm seeking advice here first.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-16, 07:45 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by UZ214
i just stick to oem, i just changed my ls460 to bosh - they creaked and for about a week - i couldnt take it since the cars are so quiet. But about 60$ for oem wipers was a over kill and you know what i ordered denso wipers from amazon-

they are basically the exact same oem wipers for 1/3 of the price not in the toyota/lex packaging.

i would recommend them!
LOL.

The noise means that the blades are pressed hard against the windshield.

Squeegee action.

Just kidding, my Icon wipers are just as quiet as my factory blades were on the RX.

However, the LS is a different level of car.
Old 03-20-16, 09:01 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I had trouble too. The trick is to pop the plastic cover off the base of the arm, then unscrew the bolt that holds the arm on. Hope this helps. Ray A.
Old 03-20-16, 09:40 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by raylor4
I had trouble too. The trick is to pop the plastic cover off the base of the arm, then unscrew the bolt that holds the arm on. Hope this helps. Ray A.

Thank you.
Old 03-21-16, 12:30 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

I just did mine and now came back to see this new thread.

What I did was hit the start button for Accessories, that is no foot on brake & don't start it,
turn rear wiper on, hit the Start button quickly to kill power.

The rear blade stopped in the down position; I easily slide off the old blade and install the new.

Didn't need any tools or remove the arm as some posts suggest

I'm in Australia and trying these for the first time, got 1 year warranty

https://www.wipertech.com.au

Have to make sure Lexus don't change them out on the next service as they seem to do every time

Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)