RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

new brakes for f sport rx350 --- better then oem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 08:22 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default new brakes for f sport rx350 --- better then oem?

i picked up a 2013 low miles, rx350 F sport for my wife last year its sitting at 32k as we speak and the wife and myself both feel that the brakes are weak for this car. They are not as grabby and unless you really hit the brakes hard it does not really stops

So i have been looking around and really have not come up anyone in the forums that have upgraded to maybe a big brake kit for the RX350.

I dont want to spend 5k on brembo kit and was hoping i can just get aftermarket pads and rotors to do the job but i doubt that it will get me any major stopping power.

I am not new to BBK had them in my GS400 and the difference we night and day.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-16-16, 08:31 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
i picked up a 2013 low miles, rx350 F sport for my wife last year its sitting at 32k as we speak and the wife and myself both feel that the brakes are weak for this car. They are not as grabby and unless you really hit the brakes hard it does not really stops

So i have been looking around and really have not come up anyone in the forums that have upgraded to maybe a big brake kit for the RX350.

I dont want to spend 5k on brembo kit and was hoping i can just get aftermarket pads and rotors to do the job but i doubt that it will get me any major stopping power.

I am not new to BBK had them in my GS400 and the difference we night and day.

what do you guys think?
They make Big Brake Kits for the family oriented RX
Learn something new everyday I guess.

Anyways if you need better pedal feel, see if you can grab some stainless lines

Regular UpKeep would be a brake flush with better fluid I guess

Brakes wise its a balancing act.

Skip drilled slotted nonsense, the RX wont ever need it. Proper Blanks are the best

The best mfgs I have used thus far has been EBC and Hawk.
Pretty aggressive bite but cold performance is ehh (although personally I have not noticed much difference as some posters on other forums tend to state).

Just be prepared for more rotor wear and higher brake dust.

Apart from a brake booster upgrade thats probably all there is.

Big Brake Kits make no sense on this platform, and I dont really think anyone makes a tailored kit for the RX
Old 03-17-16, 06:40 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,158 Likes on 988 Posts

EBC makes pads for the RX. They should improve initial bite, feel and stopping power. The upgraded SUV 7000 GreenStuff for the front and the regular 6000 Greenstuff for the rear should do it.
Hawk does not make pads for the RX. I have looked everywhere before replacing my pads and rotors. I ended up with the Raybestos Element 3 pads and their professional grade rotors which are coated on all the areas that rust. So far they have worked out very well. Initial bite is a little better than OEM. I think the more expensive EBC pads would be better. https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Gr...s-RX350/p19062
They also have an Orange stuff for SUVs that is insanely expensive. The Yellow Stuff may stop even faster than Green, but there are trade offs with noise, dust and wear.
Old 03-17-16, 07:14 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Theres a company called ceika that can custom make bbk for the car, cost about 1200 I think... I might go with that but have to check the wheel clearance and all..I also like the idea of ebc pads and rotors? Just to amp up the bite... Don't care about rotor wear. I can change then in my garage..when needed.
Are you all running stock rotors and pads?
Old 03-17-16, 08:24 AM
Clutchless

This has been in the classifieds section for a while, maybe they will negotiate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-for-sale.html

I would be concerned about front to rear brake balance with those big boys in the front!
Old 03-17-16, 12:29 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Whoa That is sweet, had rotaras in my G's those thing can bite, but 2k still quite a bit, I will ping and see how much I can get
Old 03-18-16, 06:31 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i am leaning towards ebc yellow stuff and ebc EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors, they seem to have great reviews. Our RXs have tiny 2pot calipers in the front which is a joke, i was hoping being F sport they would at least beef up the barkes like the do in the LS460

Originally Posted by Clutchless
EBC makes pads for the RX. They should improve initial bite, feel and stopping power. The upgraded SUV 7000 GreenStuff for the front and the regular 6000 Greenstuff for the rear should do it.
Hawk does not make pads for the RX. I have looked everywhere before replacing my pads and rotors. I ended up with the Raybestos Element 3 pads and their professional grade rotors which are coated on all the areas that rust. So far they have worked out very well. Initial bite is a little better than OEM. I think the more expensive EBC pads would be better. https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Gr...s-RX350/p19062
They also have an Orange stuff for SUVs that is insanely expensive. The Yellow Stuff may stop even faster than Green, but there are trade offs with noise, dust and wear.
Old 03-18-16, 07:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UZ214
i am leaning towards ebc yellow stuff and ebc EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors, they seem to have great reviews. Our RXs have tiny 2pot calipers in the front which is a joke, i was hoping being F sport they would at least beef up the barkes like the do in the LS460
If your keeping stock rotor dimensions with a stock braking system you will not see increased performance with the slotted. You will get extra brake pad wear but not performance on those. With those aggressive pads you want as much surface area as possible to get the most out of the current system. So either a bigger rotor or a more aggressive pad.
Old 03-20-16, 07:45 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i cab get a bigger rotor with the stock caliper? - i am going to order ebc yellow stuff. I am reading they have the best bite
Old 03-20-16, 07:56 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If your keeping stock rotor dimensions with a stock braking system you will not see increased performance with the slotted. You will get extra brake pad wear but not performance on those. With those aggressive pads you want as much surface area as possible to get the most out of the current system. So either a bigger rotor or a more aggressive pad.
I agree that slotted rotors are more for racing where as the brakes are cooled quicker through the laps, however the slotted rotors actually have less surface area than a solid rotor so in normal driving conditions you may not see much of an improvement over the stock rotors except in the rain since the slots do help evacuate water from the pads and rotors.

Gripper pads will give the best performance on a car like the RX in my opinion.

However, high friction high carbon rotors would help as well.
Old 03-21-16, 07:13 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

found this thread about the rotors - they seem to hold up pretty well, its from infinity folks. i am going to pull the plug the cost is a little more than stock but hopefully its worth it.
http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...ty-review.html
Old 03-22-16, 11:21 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy75
I agree that slotted rotors are more for racing where as the brakes are cooled quicker through the laps, however the slotted rotors actually have less surface area than a solid rotor so in normal driving conditions you may not see much of an improvement over the stock rotors except in the rain since the slots do help evacuate water from the pads and rotors.

Gripper pads will give the best performance on a car like the RX in my opinion.

However, high friction high carbon rotors would help as well.
I agree with that however the issue that lies key is that unless your car is well supported its extremely hard to find legit high carbon rotors
Old 03-22-16, 12:03 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I agree with that however the issue that lies key is that unless your car is well supported its extremely hard to find legit high carbon rotors
So true.

I have no problem finding them for my old VW/Infiniti cars, but I can not find any high carbon rotors for the RX or my KIA.

I would just try better brake pads with the plain rotors on the RX.

If I was trying to make the RX "look" cooler then I would spend more on slotted rotors or even a BBK(big brake kit).

However, the RX has no real performance potential to make "real" use of the extra sized rotors/calipers or even stock sized slotted rotors.

The RX is just a smooth cruiser no matter if it has an F badge or not.

Well, actually the F-sport option just messes up the RX smooth ride in my opinion in an attempt to market the RX as having a sporty option.

Just read the auto reviews available online when they compare the F-sport to the standard suspension.

Braking is still the same on both the "sporty" and non-sporty models hence the RX is not sporty at all or need any muscle-car sized brakes at all.

Note: I guess if you compared the RX to a Ford Explorer it may be considered sporty, but not to an Infiniti FX45/FX50S or BMW X6 crossover.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-22-16 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 01:05 PM
Clutchless

Raybestos Advanced Technology are the rotors I put on my RX, I think they are better than Toyota due to the rust prone areas being painted. The tolerances and quality appear equal to OEM. $75 at Rockauto
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....444184&jsn=384

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-24-16 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 06:29 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i agree!! F sport looks cooler but thats about it. I just got for my wife because she liked the F version. she used to love the ISF..so she was thinking about the same lines of that car. One day she goes i press the gas and it just makes a lot of noise and does not goes anywhere..lol.

The ride is pretty rough too- almost reminds me of ISF- Harsh ride. I try not to RX350 for long drives we use the LS more.

But the brakes can be little better, just looking for a little more grabby feeling. i would love to get the BBK but dont want to deal with wheels clearance and stuff.

Originally Posted by carguy75
So true.

I have no problem finding them for my old VW/Infiniti cars, but I can not find any high carbon rotors for the RX or my KIA.

I would just try better brake pads with the plain rotors on the RX.

If I was trying to make the RX "look" cooler then I would spend more on slotted rotors or even a BBK(big brake kit).

However, the RX has no real performance potential to make "real" use of the extra sized rotors/calipers or even stock sized slotted rotors.

The RX is just a smooth cruiser no matter if it has an F badge or not.

Well, actually the F-sport option just messes up the RX smooth ride in my opinion in an attempt to market the RX as having a sporty option.

Just read the auto reviews available online when they compare the F-sport to the standard suspension.

Braking is still the same on both the "sporty" and non-sporty models hence the RX is not sporty at all or need any muscle-car sized brakes at all.

Note: I guess if you compared the RX to a Ford Explorer it may be considered sporty, but not to an Infiniti FX45/FX50S or BMW X6 crossover.

Quick Reply: new brakes for f sport rx350 --- better then oem?