RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brakes- Pulsing/Warping etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 02:47 PM
hopzhopz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brakes- Pulsing/Warping etc.

Hi guys, I'm back.

This time with a rant and hopefully a solution from the collective.

This is my 3rd RX. Love the car. Not so much the brakes.

I pull a lightweight trailer. Lightweight means not a beast, not a boat, just a 4x8 utility to go to art shows etc. Living here in Colorado and doing shows all over the West, I find that at times I must use brakes and lower gears to safely descend mountains.

Apparently under load the brakes get hot and warp the front rotors. The earlier models I took to a mechanic who specialized in brakes. He declared the rotors warped, said Lexus is known for warping rotors and so forth. He refused to turn the rotors saying they are a regular and recurring problem and he would not stand behind a "rotor turn-job". I let him put after market rotors on and they did the job but I traded it pretty soon after and did not experience the longer term with after market rotors.

Unit number 2 had a similar problem. but not to the same degree. We were not doing that much out of town art then.

This 2011 RX is the best yet... until a few months ago... more art shows on the road, more hills to negotiate and I can feel the warping and pulsing starting. This unit has barely 50k miles on it.

I think that is too soon to have brake replacement.

What do you guys think?

Am I the only one with this issue.

Am I just crazy?

if it gets worse, and I think it will... what do you guys like to do? Replace, turn/reface? etc?

etc...

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-04-16, 04:13 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

what pads are you using? What alot of people call warping is actually rotor runout. Often its caused by poor and uneven bed-in with the brake pad or from uneven pad deposits causing high spots.
Nominal thickness is 28mm new and minimum is 25mm.
I would try using a rotary Flex-hone tool to remove high spots before resorting to having the rotors turned.

One thing that i noticed in the RockAuto catalog is a category of rotors recommended for towing. They all appear to be slotted to prevent pad glazing.
Old 04-05-16, 05:44 AM
hopzhopz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies... As far as I know the car has the original rotors and pads. I do not know the brands.

As for trailer brakes... the trailer I have is a 4X8 enclosed. No brakes and it carries a fairly light load.