RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 07:06 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$

I usually change my own oil and perform the other services needed - but I'm getting older and lazier. So when the first oil change came due (where I had to pay for it) I had the wife take RX to Lexus.

BTW - we love the dealer - the waiting room is great (massage chairs, snacks, etc.) - and someone has to pay for this.

But $151.00 for an oil change is ridiculous. I could see spending $50 or $60 (which is still double the "quick change places"). My Infiniti dealer charges $30 for an oil change (but the waiting room isn't as nice either).

I'm back to doing my own services. - Just blowing off a little steam here.
Old 04-29-16, 07:12 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mshumack
I usually change my own oil and perform the other services needed - but I'm getting older and lazier. So when the first oil change came due (where I had to pay for it) I had the wife take RX to Lexus.

BTW - we love the dealer - the waiting room is great (massage chairs, snacks, etc.) - and someone has to pay for this.

But $151.00 for an oil change is ridiculous. I could see spending $50 or $60 (which is still double the "quick change places"). My Infiniti dealer charges $30 for an oil change (but the waiting room isn't as nice either).

Yeah, just got a quote from the BMW stealer to change the oil on my Z4 - $160.
Old 04-29-16, 07:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Was this for a standalone oil change or a '10K Service' interval (or similar)? They bundle other stuff in with the broader service at my local dealer that drives up the cost unless you select a la carte. I pull those out and do the air filter myself for example.

Also suggest you regularly check your local dealer site for specials. Don't always have the right deal that fits what I need, but worth checking.

http://www.lexusoforlando.com/Servic...rvice-Specials

If you're a Costco member, they also have a service discount coupon I take into my dealer if they don't have a monthly deal that matches what I need.
Old 04-29-16, 07:55 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Local 2 year old Toyota dealer usually has 40% off oil changes. They also use the same oil and filters that Lexus uses.

Their waiting area is very clean, open and they have free use of several desktop computers.

The last time I took my SC430 there my oil change cost me $24.
For my CT200h they charged me $63 for a synthetic oil change.
Attached Thumbnails Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$-image.jpeg  

Last edited by FLYCT; 04-29-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-29-16, 01:38 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Local 2 year old Toyota dealer usually has 40% off oil changes. They also use the same oil and filters that Lexus uses.

Their waiting area is very clean, open and they have free use of several desktop computers.

The last time I took my SC430 there my oil change cost me $24.
For my CT200h they charged me $63 for a synthetic oil change.
I have to agree. Our local Toyota dealer is really nice for a customer waiting area. When you bring you car into the carport, there is a gadget that automatically reads the thread depth and if the tires are in alignment. It's sort of a gimmick, but cool nevertheless. The "bays" where the vehicle is serviced is as clean as service bay at Lexus.

$150 for an oil change? Well, that seems par for the course. I do my own oil changes on my Honda and Toyota, but let Lexus take of our Lex vehicles.
Old 04-29-16, 02:46 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
I have to agree. Our local Toyota dealer is really nice for a customer waiting area. When you bring you car into the carport, there is a gadget that automatically reads the thread depth and if the tires are in alignment. It's sort of a gimmick, but cool nevertheless. The "bays" where the vehicle is serviced is as clean as service bay at Lexus.

$150 for an oil change? Well, that seems par for the course. I do my own oil changes on my Honda and Toyota, but let Lexus take of our Lex vehicles.
LOL.

So you do your own oil changes on your Toyota, but not the Lexus.

That is funny because the the engine in the Lexus is just an Toyota engine with a Lexus logo on the engine cover.
Old 04-29-16, 02:51 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow.

$150 for an oil change on the Lexus RX.

That is too funny considering how easy the oil change is to do on the Lexus RX.

Well is cost me about $40 and only about 20min to do my own oil changes in the garage.

$35 for the Mobil 1 Fuel Economy oil and about $5 for the oil filter from my local Toyota dealership.
Old 04-29-16, 03:29 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

That $150 also includes tire rotation, topping fluids and checking other things. We have threads in the forum discussing options, like going to a Toyota dealer. You're only obligated to go to the Lexus dealer for warranty related repairs. Just be sure to add the service information on the Lexus owners' website. And keep the receipts.
Old 04-30-16, 03:06 AM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys have no idea of how lucky you are... take a look below to the costs of my Lexus RX450h last service.. accordingly to the dealer "it is a light one, the next one will be more costly"
Old 04-30-16, 03:19 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

I never go in a say I want the 10,000, 20,000 or 50,000 mile service. Every 10,000 miles ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus/Toyota dealership. This should be less than $80. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in an ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor for the oil and $20 for the tire rotation.
Old 04-30-16, 03:29 AM
rideandski
Driver School Candidate

But $151.00 for an oil change is ridiculous. I could see spending $50 or $60
Wow that is steep....even if there are massage chairs. Looks like our local Toyota dealer will be seeing us after the 4 free services are done. Good news is that the Toyota dealer is much closer than the Lexus dealer
Old 04-30-16, 06:20 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Your dealer charged you for twelve of these:

Does it suggest anything to you?
Old 04-30-16, 11:24 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes..seems very high
Old 04-30-16, 12:20 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
LOL.

So you do your own oil changes on your Toyota, but not the Lexus.

That is funny because the the engine in the Lexus is just an Toyota engine with a Lexus logo on the engine cover.
You dont have to tell me about Toyota/Lexus engines. Been a Lexus customer since 1991 and have had a few Toyotas and Lexus vehicles over the years. Anyway, currently they have an ES and RX that belong to my parents of which I drive practically everyday. I'm also in charge of their upkeep. My perosnal cars are a 4Runner and Civic. Anyway, I have the Lexus's maintained at the dealer. I'd rather do it myself, but I don't have a lot of time during the day to do so.

Its funny when I do talk to someone at service, they insist, for example, that a camry and ES are leages different. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss I guess. LOL
Old 04-30-16, 01:10 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
Its funny when I do talk to someone at service, they insist, for example, that a camry and ES are leages different. Ahhh, ignorance is bliss I guess. LOL
One of my co-workers made a big stink about buying his wife a Lexus ES Hybrid (my wife has a Toyota Avalon Hybrid). He would not believe me that it was the same car, with different badges. When I finally showed him enough internet reviews, he was pissed and called the Lexus dealer and started ranting at them. LOL

Quick Reply: Got my first oil change (that I had to pay for) OMG $$$$