RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remanufactured Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 10:44 AM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remanufactured Transmission

When a dealer replaces the transmission it says a Reman Transmission on the service work sheet, does anyone get a new transmission ever..can you guys please tell what is the difference between a new and Renam ?
Old 05-07-16, 01:35 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Depends - on many things. For instance:

Who performed the REMAN
To whose performance specifications was it REMAN'd
Whose parts were used for the REMAN
Were the latest and greatest updates performed (remember, the transmission in your car was designed months ahead of when it was built; and you're not the first to need a REMAN for that specific model)

It is not unheard of for a REMAN transmission to exceed the performance specifications and reliability expected for the original transmission - if the transmission were rebuilt with parts that have been improved since the original part(s) were installed in your vehicle.

A benchmark example of a high-quality and industry-respected REMAN'd unit is the Company/Division/Group that sends me my Retirement Checks each month ( http://www.roadranger.com/rr/Afterma...eman/index.htm ).

During my 30 years with them, we enjoyed a market share of over 73% in the North American Heavy Duty Truck manual transmission market - and it was due to superior product(s) and reliability -- and our REMAN units proved to be long-lived (forgive the bragging).

Lexus commands the respect of the industry (and me) for good reason.

So, I would expect that Lexus wouldn't put something in your car - even a REMAN - that was not up to their standards - and those REMAN requirements are just as likely to be greater than what was originally installed in your vehicle.

I doubt you'd ever see a repeat of whatever was the cause of your replacement; and suggest you take a deep breath and cut short any mourning over your "violated" car (I'd be sick, too - but I'd count on the integrity of Lexus) - and pretend that nothing ever happened.

And yes - it is POSSIBLE that your REMAN unit is NEW - if, for no other reason, they simply didn't have any REMAN'd units as they stocked the zone depots with the units so as to provide the instantant parts availability necessary to support the customer base (I have personally seen examples of this).

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
dstarling (04-11-24)
Old 05-08-16, 01:01 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The remanufacturing process basically reuses the castings, case & other internal hard parts. Everything is cleaned & subject to a rigorous testing/inspection process. Wear items like bearings, seals, clutches, modulators etc. will all be new. In it's simplest terms, an automatic transmission is merely a big hydraulic pump.
Remanufactured the original TH350 transmission myself, out of my old Buick more than a few years ago. Still working as new. Later, I remanufactured the original 350 V8 from the same car. A few more wear items, but it's still running as new.
HAd a rebuilt transmission put into an '05 Accord V6 about 5 years ago, just as we were turning it over to university student duty. No issues with it at all.
As NateJG mentions, if it's done correctly & the standards are high, you won't have any issues.
Every car has issues/problems/failures. Best thing going is how the service team responds to your needs.
dstarling (04-11-24)
Old 05-09-16, 08:20 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

did you need a transmission already?
Old 05-09-16, 09:35 AM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the clarifications. I am trusting that since it came from a dealer he must got the right one
Old 05-09-16, 09:41 AM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Yes ..the dealer had to replace the entire transmission since they could not figure out what was the exact cause of chirping noise ( see the you tube video)
they had the car for almost 1 week and replaced the tranny..it's a 15 RX350 - 8 Month old with 2900 miles on it.
Old 06-02-16, 04:09 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

I had my 13 RX Fsport tranny replaced at 45k. It shutters between 2nd and 3rd gear. As I was told by the SA, only the casing is reused, all parts inside are new with all updates.
Old 06-08-16, 10:08 AM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jadon, with the new transmission I am seeing a lag in the down shift between 3rd to 2nd...it feels like slight stalling..have you experienced this...
Old 06-08-16, 10:37 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

There is a learning curve for the transmission computer to adapt to your driving style. If it does not improve in a week I would go back to the dealer.
Old 06-08-16, 10:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
There is a learning curve for the transmission computer to adapt to your driving style. If it does not improve in a week I would go back to the dealer.
or clear it.
Old 06-08-16, 10:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

That is a good question to ask the dealer. If they cleared the memory from the old transmission.
dstarling (04-11-24)
Old 06-08-16, 01:03 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadon
I had my 13 RX Fsport tranny replaced at 45k. It shutters between 2nd and 3rd gear. As I was told by the SA, only the casing is reused, all parts inside are new with all updates.
Maybe this might help: i have a 2005 4Runner with a "sealed" transmission. I tried an "anti-shudder" additive and the Toyota dealer was vehement that that wouldn't cure the issue. I told them to "humor me" and to add it AND do a flush. They did. Shudder gone. Egg on their face.

FIY: It's a small orange tube that reads "Instant Shudder Fix" (also may say Dr Tranny on it). Cost less than $10. It's worth a shot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread your post. You already had it replaced.
Old 06-13-16, 02:58 PM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Yes ...the transmission has been replaced....I am trying to set up an appointment with the dealer...thanks for the inputs...