RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

dealer recommended service - fuel induction and ac refresh

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:54 AM
Gertiegins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer recommended service - fuel induction and ac refresh

Hi All,

I purchased a 2013 RX350 in March that had 3100 miles. The owner had it in the garage - it was his wife's and she did not like it and then she passed away.

After I purchased it I took it in for the 10000 mile check since it had been sitting. Everything checked out and I have been happy with the car (other than the small size).

The Service Manager suggested I have a fuel induction service and ac refresh at the next appointment.

I am now at 9500 miles and am taking it in for an oil change and tire rotation. I drive 5 - 10 miles each day on dirt roads and want to see how the air filter and oil looks. From this I can decide if I will go 10000 miles between oil changes.

So, can you tell me what you think about the two suggested services?

Thanks,

Gertie G
Old 05-25-16, 11:14 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

With that low overall mileage, you actually should need NEITHER of those services.
In general, if you use quality gasoline (Major brands like Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, for example) there should be no issues with the fuel system at all.

If it worried you at all, you could always grab an additive to put in with the gas when you fill up....something like TECHRON or the like.

As far as an A/C refresh, unless you are getting an odor like old dirty socks when you start up the ventilation system there is NO NEED for it.

Just do your oil change and tire rotation and leave it at that.
Old 05-25-16, 12:09 PM
Gertiegins
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply. I thought I could skip that for now and it is nice to get your feedback.

GertieG
Old 05-25-16, 12:29 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

However, I would consider getting the brake fluid flushed as it absorbs water over time and Toyota/Lexus recommends doing it every 2 years. It prevents internal rusting/corrosion your expensive computer controlled brake components.
Old 05-25-16, 01:40 PM
Gertiegins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks CLUTCHLESS - I will look into that.
Old 05-27-16, 11:36 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto on the BF flush, due to years sitting. As for the oil, I use synthetic in all my cars, and go 10K between complete changes. However, at 5K, I change the filter and top off the oil. My vehicles travel between 100 and 200 miles per week.

If you are only driving 5-10 miles per day, it will take you 3+ years to go 10K. The question I would have for you is...does your engine and transmission get up to normal op temp on each daily trip, or at least a couple times each week? Constant use of oil and trans fluids that do not get up to op temp on a regular basis need more frequent changes. Trans. fluid, in particular, does not lubricate properly at less than "normal" temps. If the torque converter in your tranny is not normally going into lockup, that means it is not reaching normal op temp. In a really warm environment (like Las Vegas), the trans will reach lockup in under 5 miles. On a cold winter day (like Boston), it might take 15 miles to get into lockup, i.e., normal op temp. Those are just estimates, but you get the idea. Believe it or not, this might be something not every dealer service guy/gal would know about if you asked him/her. You can do more research online if you want to verify it.

Do yourself a favor that will help your vehicle live longer. At least once each week, hopefully more often, drive at least 10 miles after you reach normal op temp. This will ensure that particulates in the fluids are being flushed through the systems, into the filters. This is especially important for vehicles with "lifetime" trans fluid.
Old 05-28-16, 08:00 AM
Gertiegins
Driver School Candidate

11bravo,

Thank you for the reply and explanations.

The dirt road driving is to and from the house to the paved road. I put between about 1500 miles on the car each month.

I will take everyone's advice and change the brake fluid.

And after this next oil change I will keep and eye on the filter after 5000 miles. Same for the oil.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions. I usually keep a car for 10+ years...my tahoe has over 230,000 miles and is almost 12 years old.

The only reason I can see myself trading this Lexus is to upgrade to a large size.....I do miss the room.
Old 05-28-16, 10:17 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Since it's under the first 10K, ask the dealer if the fuel issue is emissions related - and if yes, ask him why it's not warranty (free) - and not a wear/maintenance issue on your dime.