RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 04:38 AM
jdeerace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have this problem trying to make contact have question. joined forum have not been able to find this page. Help?
Old 09-02-21, 05:22 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

It is unclear what you are trying to articulate or what you cannot find.
Start reading around post 80 and higher for info on placing the magnet etc with photos.
The photos etc are repeated around post 143 +
Old 09-02-21, 05:38 AM
kesturbo
Driver School Candidate

again same misguidance. Magnet is only temporary solution, not removing issues. It is same as you try to make girl smile while pooling by hair braid.
To fix issues - you should not cheat sensor, but fix it, clean it. I have done it without changing sensor. Flow speed is important for calculating how much to open control valve, how long to keep fan speed on higher or lower rpm.
Old 09-03-21, 11:24 AM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kesturbo
again same misguidance. Magnet is only temporary solution, not removing issues. It is same as you try to make girl smile while pooling by hair braid.
To fix issues - you should not cheat sensor, but fix it, clean it. I have done it without changing sensor. Flow speed is important for calculating how much to open control valve, how long to keep fan speed on higher or lower rpm.
As per TSB, the only "solution" is to replace compressor. Every other solution amounts to "misguidance".

When you're in a fix you'll realise the need for the cheapest "misguidance" solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by OjeG:
RX in NC (09-03-21), spinellib (04-29-23)
Old 09-03-21, 01:12 PM
kesturbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OjeG
As per TSB, the only "solution" is to replace compressor. Every other solution amounts to "misguidance".

When you're in a fix you'll realise the need for the cheapest "misguidance" solution.
Please have a look at the video, which i posted above. There is clear information, how to clean all flow sensors system, not only a sensor, but also thing, which is giving signal to that sensor. This work can be done while removed compressor. No need to open all compressor, only small cover below flow sensor. Clean that hole, clean area down flow sensor, fix it properly and you will not need to cheat flow sensors value to switch on system by force. System has to be in harmony - all sensors has to have exact information about values from sensors. Otherwise it will work bad. I have gs350. I had problem with flow sensor values. I removed compressor, cleaned it and values were fixed. Sensor started to show exact information. There is nothing what can be damaged in sensor. It just goes away from exact place, where it must be. Rust lifts it on 0,3 mm. Distance is very small, but sensors magnetic piston inside compressor is moving 2mm up down, so this small distance affects values very much. But as I said, the way with additional magnet is wrong solution.
Cheers!
Old 09-06-21, 05:10 PM
MaxMin16
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OjeG
It's a flat magnet; flipping it changes the polarity. What pole does the trick, I don't know. Simply flip the magnet and see which side works.

There's a snap ring that holds the sensor in place. Stick the magnet to the ring. Mine has stayed there ever since without falling off.
I just fixed my 2010 Toyota RAV4 AC flow valve issue with a small 1cm magnet, and immediately the cold AC works again! OjeG, you are a wizard!
Old 10-31-21, 08:50 AM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sensor replaced without removing compressor

Originally Posted by kesturbo
Please have a look at the video, which i posted above. There is clear information, how to clean all flow sensors system, not only a sensor, but also thing, which is giving signal to that sensor. This work can be done while removed compressor. No need to open all compressor, only small cover below flow sensor. Clean that hole, clean area down flow sensor, fix it properly and you will not need to cheat flow sensors value to switch on system by force. System has to be in harmony - all sensors has to have exact information about values from sensors. Otherwise it will work bad. I have gs350. I had problem with flow sensor values. I removed compressor, cleaned it and values were fixed. Sensor started to show exact information. There is nothing what can be damaged in sensor. It just goes away from exact place, where it must be. Rust lifts it on 0,3 mm. Distance is very small, but sensors magnetic piston inside compressor is moving 2mm up down, so this small distance affects values very much. But as I said, the way with additional magnet is wrong solution.
Cheers!
Thanks for posting the link to the video, I finally gave the procedure a trial and it works; everything is back to factory specs.
Here is what I did....2013 Camry 4cyl(sorry, no pictures taken during the process).

Removed the fans/radiator(for easy access to the sensor. Perhaps removing the fans alone will do).
Once those two were out of the way, working on the compressor/sensor was easy(no need to remove compressor).

The sensor wouldn't come out in one piece so I broke it off into pieces. Used sharp penknife to pry the remaining base out. Once the knife was under the sensor base, the remaining piece lifted out.And yes, lots of debris had formed/accumulated underneath the sensor. Scraped it all out. Placed another sensor(from AliExpress) in the groove(completely easy to lay down.... No force needed).While holding down the sensor, I used "modified acrylic adhesive glue" to hold down the sensor and cover the entire area around it(To keep debris away... Hopefully) any other strong adhesive should work fine.

NB:Wrap up the connection side of the sensor before applying adhesive, else it will drain down and make connecting the socket difficult.(Don't ask me how I know)
Old 11-24-21, 12:56 AM
dickson
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys please I need y’all’s help.. My 2012 Camry ac won’t get cold no matter what I try!! Bee told to replace compressor and condenser 🤒🤦‍♂️, saw the magnet fix which I tried the ac came on cold for about 3 mins and it went back blowing just air… can anyone please help me don’t have about $2000+ for the fix from Toyota and other side mechanics want to change the whole ac system from auto to manual 🥺🤦‍♂️
Old 11-24-21, 01:10 AM
kesturbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dickson
Hi guys please I need y’all’s help.. My 2012 Camry ac won’t get cold no matter what I try!! Bee told to replace compressor and condenser 🤒🤦‍♂️, saw the magnet fix which I tried the ac came on cold for about 3 mins and it went back blowing just air… can anyone please help me don’t have about $2000+ for the fix from Toyota and other side mechanics want to change the whole ac system from auto to manual 🤦‍♂️
So many things could affect stopping work after 3 minutes. If sensors could not get right value of pressure - valve could close freon circulation. If system was dirty inside, valves could be blocked after 3 minutes of work. Without opening and checking you will not be able to know what to do next. I had same issues, but i changed only compressor. Other parts i cleaned with harpic toilet cleaner(you should be very careful, as that chemical is very strong and can damage your eyes and skin). Cleaned my condenser which was blocked(changed the filter to new one), even all internal system cleaned without removing it. Except compressor.
The magnet trick is cheating of the system, is only temporary solution, while driving home from far. That sensor, which we cheat with magnet is involved in calculation algorithm how much gas needed to reach required temperature. When value is wrong - all system will loose harmony.
Old 06-02-22, 08:38 PM
Stevekell
10th Gear

Default AC Flow sensor Magnet fix

Hello... I have a 2013 rx350.... same intermittent AC issues ... having trouble finding the AC Flow sensor under the hood... Is it on the right side while looking under the hood? Can anyone advise how to access this sensor so I can try the magnet temporary fix? Thanks so much!
Old 06-03-22, 04:08 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

It has been quite a while since I have read through this thread but if I remember correctly, you access the HVAC flow sensor by raising the vehicle on jack stands and then crawling underneath it.
Old 06-03-22, 05:16 AM
Stevekell
10th Gear

Thank you very much!
Old 06-14-22, 11:05 AM
Stevekell
10th Gear

Default 2013 Rx magnet trick Ac flow

Was wondering if it was accessible from under hood or is it easier from underneath?
Old 06-14-22, 12:55 PM
hybridicor
1st Gear

I found that there are small magnets on the electric toothbrush refills for my sonicare! They should work great if you have one.
Old 07-30-22, 06:34 PM
Stevekell
10th Gear

I have a 2013 RX 350, can the ac Flow sensor be accessed from under the hood? How is it oriented from the AC flow valve... which sits closer to top of compressor. Thank you

Quick Reply: RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution