RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 10:29 AM
schatzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this also apply to a 2012, dealer says need new compressor at $2,500 but also mentioned they were able to get air when forced flow sensor with diagnostic tool.
Old 08-01-19, 11:20 AM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by schatzi
Would this also apply to a 2012, dealer says need new compressor at $2,500 but also mentioned they were able to get air when forced flow sensor with diagnostic tool.
What error code do you have?
If the same with the code/issue treated here, any of the procedures should work.

Yes, TSB says to change the compressor; completely unnecessary if a piece of magnet can fix the issue. Give it a trial; very easy/inexpensive
Old 08-01-19, 12:11 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

And if the magnet does not resolve your issue, take the vehicle to an automotive HVAC shop, not the Lexus dealership. Considerably less expensive and they specialize in A/C repair (which the dealership does NOT)..
Old 08-02-19, 08:05 AM
schatzi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for responding, This was the service receipt statement , 79338 system low , recharged ac system and still inoperable, history flow sensor code stored. forced system to run with scan tool and flow sensor started to show movement. recommend ac compressor replacement $2,229 + tax.

I have talked to a few independent mechanics in Boston and the first answer is flow sensor is connected to compressor cannot just change flow sensor.
Old 08-02-19, 10:50 AM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for responding, This was the service receipt statement , 79338 system low , recharged ac system and still inoperable, history flow sensor code stored. forced system to run with scan tool and flow sensor started to show movement. recommend ac compressor replacement $2,229 + tax.

I have talked to a few independent mechanics in Boston and the first answer is flow sensor is connected to compressor cannot just change flow sensor.
Seems it's the sensor issue. Try the magnet fix.... It's easy enough.

Place a piece of neodymium magnet on the sensor; polarity matters.

AC works ever after.

The following 2 users liked this post by OjeG:
johnusl52 (05-29-20), wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-06-19, 07:38 AM
schatzi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, can you reach it from under the car or do you have to jack up the car or take parts off?
The following users liked this post:
wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-12-19, 11:17 AM
schatzi
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone: I have to add, I added the magnet and the AC is working fine and blowing cold air - it WORKED! and I am so pleased. Taking the covers off underneath is easy but I did snap a few of the metal screw fasteners and will have to tap them out. But AC works and I saved myself $2,500. We are in a sad state of affairs when dealers can taken advantage of customers with no shame.
The following 3 users liked this post by schatzi:
BNastee (05-26-22), spinellib (04-29-23), wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-12-19, 11:44 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Well done indeed. This HVAC magnet trick is one of the best tips I have ever read about on any of the automotive forums that I utilize. I believe this thread deserves to be elevated to permanent "sticky thread" status at the top of the forum. I just hope I can remember it if the A/C on my wife's 2015 RX350 ever quits working.
wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-12-19, 11:41 PM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone: I have to add, I added the magnet and the AC is working fine and blowing cold air - it WORKED! and I am so pleased. Taking the covers off underneath is easy but I did snap a few of the metal screw fasteners and will have to tap them out. But AC works and I saved myself $2,500. We are in a sad state of affairs when dealers can taken advantage of customers with no shame.
Glad it worked; congrats.

A very inexpensive/easy fix indeed for an expensive fault.
wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-19-19, 05:25 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OjeG
Seems it's the sensor issue. Try the magnet fix.... It's easy enough.

Place a piece of neodymium magnet on the sensor; polarity matters.

AC works ever after.

Polarity matters, right? How do you make sure of the right orientation?

Second, what's holding the magnet in place? I'm trying to interpret the pic but I apologize for my tired eyes..

Thanks ..
wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-19-19, 11:11 PM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heshamos
Polarity matters, right? How do you make sure of the right orientation?

Second, what's holding the magnet in place? I'm trying to interpret the pic but I apologize for my tired eyes..

Thanks ..
It's a flat magnet; flipping it changes the polarity. What pole does the trick, I don't know. Simply flip the magnet and see which side works.

There's a snap ring that holds the sensor in place. Stick the magnet to the ring. Mine has stayed there ever since without falling off.
The following 4 users liked this post by OjeG:
gnomequeen (07-25-23), heshamos (08-20-19), wjz (05-08-20), wwwjogos (01-10-20)
Old 08-20-19, 03:13 PM
Tatoosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic thread and so timely since the wife's 2010 RX350 air condition gave out and the mechanic said we need to replace the compressor. I'm all for risking a few bucks on a magnet to see if that will help. Any guidance on how big a magnet? Dimensions and/or weight? Even rough dimensions just to give me a good idea what to order off of Amazon or eBay.

I have a data reader coming ... but won't get here until September. It is off a kickstarter project Kick Starter for ThinkCar Diagnostic Tool If it won't give me the numbers, I'll look at the CD and cable mentioned above. I'm not touting the kickstarter, there are lots of proven ODBII readers out there already. But if you know Scotty the mechanic from YouTube; he is speaking highly of it so I thought I'd take a chance.

The idea of getting the wife's air conditioning back without spending $2k is quite appealing!
Old 08-20-19, 04:35 PM
gregmikki
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome tip on the magnet, will place that in the cranium for future fiy/diy... ^^Not sure on the actual location/Piece that needs to be oriented, but magnets have a south and north pole, so maybe they are saying that one will pull up or down and maybe that matters to that piece, but best is to buy a neodymium magnet, they are strong and will stay in place...home depot has them for a couple $ for a few smallish ones...stick it on there and run your ac...if it doesn't work, flip it or rotate...eventually you will get it lined up and off you go to tell your wife how tough it was to get it done, but you damn straight got it done...just for her... then...walk(drive) off into the sunset ....with cool air blowing lol.....good luck
Tatoosh (08-20-19)
Old 08-30-19, 08:30 AM
Tatoosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How much magnet do we need to put by the sensor? And where in the engine bay is that compressor? Sorry, I have the no A/C issue. Friends OBDII doesn't seem to read my RX350 though. So not positive about the code. I went past Home Depot to buy the Neodymium magent, but could not find any the size of the one in the photo shown in this thread. I found smaller magnets, in packages of three, and ceramic magnets that are roughly the size of the magnet in the photo, but not metal obviously. I'm thinking that 2 or 3 of the nickel sized Neodymium magnets will be my best bet?

I've got a backyard mechanic that will try to put the magnets on, since age and infirmity precludes me crawling around doing it. I've looked on the internet for a guide to the layout of the engine bay, but not found anything for my wife's vintage RX3. So is this compressor in the left or right side when facing the vehicle? Higher or accessed from underneath? And I see that earlier photos of the compressor shows the flow meter to be in the center of the compressor itself, but when mounted on the car, will it be pointing up, down, or ???

Much appreciate any pointers, pictures with arrows, drawings on bar napkins, or whatever I can get!

Magnets size - Quarter (ceramic) and Nickel (Neodymium) plus even smaller NeoD's.

Quantity of Magnets, 3 tiny, 3 nickel size, and 6 ceramic quarter size.
50 (2010).
Old 08-30-19, 12:18 PM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Default Magnet size

Without the specific code, you may not be sure what you're dealing with. Yes, some OBDII tools can't read AC codes. I'll suggest you try a different reader.

Size of my neodymium magnet is about 2.8cm, broke and used about 1cm on the sensor.

Original size of the magnet

About 1cm of the magnet on the sensor

Accessing the sensor on 2013 Camry 4 cylinders was easy from the top; on RX350(2010 up) you will have to remove a few plastic covers (whether accessing from the top or under).
Tatoosh (08-30-19)

Quick Reply: RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution