RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 12:28 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinefun
Hi guys. O have a question for those of you who have done the magnet fix: does your compressor cycle? I have installed a magnet on the sensor and the compressor started right away.
However I have noticed that the compressor always stays on so far. Any idea, please?
It seems that the sensor gets a signal from ECU to activate/deactivate a magnetic field to utilize the compressor. Placing a strong magnet there might close the circuit to run the compressor but it won't disconnect it. Makes sense? Trying to figure out what's wrong with the issue.

wwwjogos, How much is the new sensor? Where from?

Cheers
Old 05-09-20, 02:44 PM
OjeG
Driver School Candidate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinefun
Hi guys. I have a question for those of you who have done the magnet fix: does your compressor cycle? I have installed a magnet on the sensor and the compressor started right away.
However I have noticed that the compressor always stays on so far. Any idea, please?
Mine cycles;....... Actually it's been almost a year (and about 15,000 miles) since that experiment; AC still cools. The sensor I bought from AliExpress is still unused.

Old 05-10-20, 07:01 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heshamos
It seems that the sensor gets a signal from ECU to activate/deactivate a magnetic field to utilize the compressor. Placing a strong magnet there might close the circuit to run the compressor but it won't disconnect it. Makes sense? Trying to figure out what's wrong with the issue.

wwwjogos, How much is the new sensor? Where from?

Cheers
Thanks! I see your point. I will try to use a smaller magnet - will see what happen.
Old 05-10-20, 07:43 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by OjeG
Mine cycles;....... Actually it's been almost a year (and about 15,000 miles) since that experiment; AC still cools. The sensor I bought from AliExpress is still unused.
Thanks OjeG. I am using the 1/2" dia x 1/8" thick cylindrical magnet. I will replace it with rectangular one which is not as strong and will see what happen.
Old 05-15-20, 08:11 AM
wjz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2011 rx350 ac stop to working two weeks ago. AC flow sensor voltage was 3.66V.
Thanks OjeG, y7wu and tn7Con sharing their experiences with ac flow sensor. I brought a magnet bar from amazon and broken it to 10x13x3mm then put on ac flow sensor. Wow, AC start working. AC flow sensor voltage increased to 4.31v when AC off, 3.8-4.31v when AC on.
I changed the magnet size to a smaller size, app.10x4x3 mm, AC is still working. The voltage reduced to 4.01v when AC off, and 2.5-3.22.v. when AC on, which is in the range of the flow sensor normal ranges.
I also brought an AC sensor from ebay, but not used.
Thank you OjeG.

Last edited by wjz; 05-15-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-15-20, 09:14 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by wjz
Our 2011 rx350 ac stop to working two weeks ago. AC flow sensor voltage was 3.66V.
Thanks OjeG, y7wu and tn7Con sharing their experiences with ac flow sensor. I brought a magnet bar from amazon and broken it to 10x13x3mm then put on ac flow sensor. Wow, AC start working. AC flow sensor voltage increased to 4.31v when AC off, 3.8-4.31v when AC on.
I changed the magnet size to a smaller size, app.10x4x3 mm, AC is still working. The voltage reduced to 4.01v when AC off, and 2.5-3.22.v. when AC on.
I also brought an AC sensor from ebay, but not used.
Thank you OjeG.
WJZ, Please confirm that your compressor cycles when AC system in Auto mode. What the interval time between cycles?
Thank you.
Old 05-15-20, 01:17 PM
wjz
Driver School Candidate

alpinefun, I am not sure how to check the compressor cycles. in hot days, I guess ac compressor will be on all the time.
Old 05-15-20, 01:46 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by wjz
alpinefun, I am not sure how to check the compressor cycles. in hot days, I guess ac compressor will be on all the time.
WJZ,
I believe by design the compressor shell be some time (for about 30-60 sec?) on and then when the pressure gets build up the pressure switch should turn it off (for about 30-60 sec?). Guys, please correct me if I am wrong.
The easiest way to check it is to let the engine run, turn AC On, open the hood and watch if the compressor clutch gets engaged (compressor On) and disengaged (compressor Off). You will see and hear it.
You can also watch yuor tachometer with engine idling - revs will go slightly up when compressore gets on.
I have installed the magnet and that fixed the problem. However the compressor is always On. Trying to figure out if it is normal.
Thank you.
Old 05-15-20, 03:12 PM
wjz
Driver School Candidate

apinefun,
I started car, push auto/ac on, set temp. at 72 deg. the engine ran 6 min, the compressor was on all the time. I do noticed that the fan speed changed from high to low slowly,
When i turned ac off, the compressor stopped. I am not sure the ac compressor shall switch on/off every 60 sec. May be dealer can help?
thank you.

Last edited by wjz; 05-16-20 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 06:51 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by wjz
apinefun,
I stared car, push auto/ac on, set temp. at 72 deg. the engine ran 6 min, the compressor was on all the time. I do noticed that the fan speed changed from high to low slowly,
when i tun ac off, the compressor stops. I am not sure the ac compressor shall switch on/off every 60 sec. May be dealer can help?
thank you.
WJZ,
Thank you very much for checking your compressor. This is exactly what my car's AC system does. Maybe it's normal when engine idles. Not sure.
I wonder if other people can share their observations.
Old 05-26-20, 02:33 PM
Nickyboy90
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 Scion tC A/C flow sensor

So I was I had this same problem for over two years on my Scion and today 5/25/20 was the day that the magnet trick did the trick. I want to thank all of you for this. After looking everywhere for two years and trying to find a fix with out spending $2000 even looking on a Scion form. I can say my ac is blowing a perfect 50.4F
Old 05-28-20, 07:00 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Alpine fun,
I I suggest checking function either by using techstream to check the voltages as above, or setting the temperature to something like 80 rather than a low temperature and making sure your defrost function is off, and seeing if it cycles with a higher temperature setting.
Old 05-29-20, 11:25 AM
johnusl52
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed RAV4 AC with attaching small magnet to flow sensor

I was able to fix the AC on my RAV4 by adding a small piece of magnet to the flow sensor following instruction provided previously by others.
I added the magnet by opening the engine hood and putting it on by hand. Took 15 minutes from start to finish.
Thank you so much, saved me $2000 to replace compressor and time. I think the magnet somehow amplify the electrical signal going into the sensor for it to read correctly.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (05-26-22)
Old 06-09-20, 11:15 AM
gasal21
Driver School Candidate

HELP- 2011 rx350 AC issue. After turning on vehicle AC wont turn on for about a minute, then green light turns on an so does AC.- Driver side blows outside temp air, Passenger side blows COLD air. After reading previous posts i bought a new AC flow sensor from Ebay and had it installed by a mechanic, i emphasized to mechanic importance of cleaning the space where the old sensor sat (he said they did so). New AC flow sensor install did not remedy my driver side warm/passenger cold issue. What should be my next step? Im close to biting the bullet and taking to a dealer as i start a new sales job next week and will be driving alot here in South Texas heat index was 110 yesterday! Thanks in advance! **PS this is a great group!, im not mechanically inclined and this is my first post!
Old 06-09-20, 12:31 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 435 Likes on 347 Posts

Most vehicles with dual climate controls in the cabin have what is often referred to as a dual climate control valve (DCCV) as part of the cooling system. It could be that yours is stuck or clogged. It could also be because one or more of your HVAC blend doors in your dash vents are stuck because one or more of the servo motors that control them has failed. Sometimes cleaning the servo motor contacts can fix the issue as opposed to spending the money required to replace them.

If you opt to take it in for diagnostics, do not go to the dealership. Find a local indie automotive HVAC shop with a good reputation. They are far better at HVAC repairs at a much fairer price than any dealership will be.
The following users liked this post:
spinellib (04-29-23)

Quick Reply: RX350 2010/2011 Air conditioning DTC B1479 cheap solution