RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

OEM Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 03:29 PM
Charles49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Windshield

My 2012 Rx 450H has a crack running up the center line of the Windsheild No evidence of impact. We received a price from Safllite and they were prepared to do the work in three days, but I felt that Lexus would be a better source. Their price is twice the amount of the original quote and we're waiting three weeks for the replacement. Is the secondary market glass compatible with the OEM Windsheild and is 3 weeks the norm for waiting from Lexus?
Old 05-28-16, 05:00 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If you want a Lexus windshield, yes. Safelight is one of the cheapest quality windshields too. I used them once, before I knew better. The windshield was junk and cracked that same year. I went with an OEM equivalent, I think it was DuPont and couldn't tell the difference from original, except for the stamp.
Old 05-29-16, 03:53 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I specifically requested OEM windshield when replaced mine on 2013 RX350 at the local glass shop (not Lexus) recently.
Insurance covered it with no problem, it was installed promptly and looks good.
Old 05-29-16, 08:54 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Charles,

If you are in NJ and have Comprehensive insurance it is very likely that your insurance company will cover it without a deductible. See this link
https://www.tapinto.net/articles/nj-...cked-windshi-1

Call your insurance company and report back.
Old 05-30-16, 03:40 AM
Charles49
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your responses, they provide me with some comfort in my decision. Just wish it didn't take 3 weeks from Lexus.
Old 05-30-16, 06:35 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles49
Thank you all for your responses, they provide me with some comfort in my decision. Just wish it didn't take 3 weeks from Lexus.
Just to keep things in perspective, Lexus doesn't make their own windshields. PPG, Carlite and Pilkington are all OEM suppliers and make the windshields for auto makers. If you go through a reputable shop, you'll likely get one of these brands. They go through all of the crash testing, etc. with the manufacturer, then supply them with the windshield for the assembly line. So long as you get one of them, you'll be in good shape.

The DuPont PPG I referenced above was the same brand windshield I sold my last Lexus with 10 years later. The car was 13 years old, so the factory windshield cracked in three and PPG still went strong after ten. I've had Carlite and Pilkington windshields too, but they were in different brand cars. Liked them well enough, but it's been a while since I've had them.

Double the cost and a three week wait is a lot for a stamp. Just my 2c.

Last edited by rj4510; 05-30-16 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 07:08 AM
rj4510
Instructor

You may be able to find a reputable shop in your area here:
http://www.safewindshields.org
Old 05-31-16, 10:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I had my windshield replaced by Safelite last year on my CT200H. Pilkington was less than half the cost of the one stamped with Lexus logo and got it on two days instead of three weeks.

BTW, about 6 months later I had a little accident and repair was done at a major SoCal Lexus dealer for some fender and bumper work (the windshield was not involved in this one). Also the A pillar had a nick so the Lexus body shop looked at where the windshield meets the A pillar area and they said whoever did the windshield did not do it according to Lexus protocol. Meaning used too much glue and therefore the usual CLIPS were not able to be used and therefore NONE was used. Safety wise the glue probably will still hold the windshield in place in case of a crash severe enough to deploy the air bags. It only took a trained eye 10 seconds to see the defect. I did not tell the Lexus body shop who had done the windshield until afterwards.

I think if you go to any major windshield place, you should be ok.

The original one with Lexus logo would have cost like $1800+. My OEM Pilkington was like $649.

Also make sure all the cut outs on the windshield match the original one. Also the background embedded color match also. I think mine had a slight green tint? Also mine had heater wires at the bottom running across for defrosting.

Also if you hear wind noise, especially at the top portion at high speeds, then they did not do it correctly. Back some 10+ years ago, I had my windshield replaced on my LX470 at a small mom and pop place X2 and then at a different Safelite place 6X+. I think on the 9th time the boss man at the Safelite came in and personally see to it and the wind noise was gone. The problem back then on my LX470 was they did not put enough glue. Back then, they had to use a two cartridges glue gun system simultaneously. Plus the fact that LX470 was quite enough to notice any wind noise that was not there before.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by rj4510
Just to keep things in perspective, Lexus doesn't make their own windshields. PPG, Carlite and Pilkington are all OEM suppliers and make the windshields for auto makers. If you go through a reputable shop, you'll likely get one of these brands. They go through all of the crash testing, etc. with the manufacturer, then supply them with the windshield for the assembly line. So long as you get one of them, you'll be in good shape.

The DuPont PPG I referenced above was the same brand windshield I sold my last Lexus with 10 years later. The car was 13 years old, so the factory windshield cracked in three and PPG still went strong after ten. I've had Carlite and Pilkington windshields too, but they were in different brand cars. Liked them well enough, but it's been a while since I've had them.

Old 05-31-16, 10:46 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2. The three OEM mentioned are excellent. Just don't get one of those generic Chinese ones advertised for like $295. No good. Safety no good. Optically distorted as well.

Originally Posted by rj4510

Old 05-31-16, 04:56 PM
Charles49
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to all for your responses. I'm hoping that I get a call this week for Lexus . I feel a little more confident that, even at a premium , they will do better job. It's a high cost car, and I don't want to save $ at the risk of less quality