RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Replace engine coolant (Super Long Life)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 10:21 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder what happened?

Did the OP introduce "COLD" coolant/fluids to a very hot engine block and thereby cracked it? Or the OP did not put enough coolant? Or maybe the OP had somehow introduced a large pocket of air bubbles and somehow cracked or damaged the engine? Or the OP CONTINUED to drive that 100 miles with an ALREADY OVER HEATED ENGINE and thereby cracked the engine block and/or damaged the cylinder head gasket?

Sounds bad and EXPENSIVE!!!

Originally Posted by Aleximus
Thanks for the amusement.
Well, the vehicle is in good hands now. If it was me, I would start locating my shiniest wallet and hope that the engine is not cracked.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-18, 05:46 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I wonder what happened?

Did the OP introduce "COLD" coolant/fluids to a very hot engine block and thereby cracked it? Or the OP did not put enough coolant? Or maybe the OP had somehow introduced a large pocket of air bubbles and somehow cracked or damaged the engine? Or the OP CONTINUED to drive that 100 miles with an ALREADY OVER HEATED ENGINE and thereby cracked the engine block and/or damaged the cylinder head gasket?

Sounds bad and EXPENSIVE!!!

You bring up valid questions to the table lexusrus. I'm afraid that your last hypothesis is a great candidate for what happened...

At the end of the day it's just money that it will cost to fix, so as a solution the OP may have to psyche himself up by chanting "MONEY-IS-MADE-TO-BE SPENT!!...MONEY-IS-MADE-TO-BE SPENT!!" (x4) and get on with it...
Old 03-28-18, 10:44 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Another phrase is as follows:

"Who is gonna get my money now??" X4!!!

​​​​​​I've personally done engine coolant exchanges before. So I would like to know what happened to the OP.

BTW, the OEM Toyota/Lexus red/pink coolant lasts like 100K miles!!! There is really no need to change them before it's time!!

Originally Posted by Aleximus
You bring up valid questions to the table lexusrus. I'm afraid that your last hypothesis is a great candidate for what happened...

At the end of the day it's just money that it will cost to fix, so as a solution the OP may have to psyche himself up by chanting "MONEY-IS-MADE-TO-BE SPENT!!...MONEY-IS-MADE-TO-BE SPENT!!" (x4) and get on with it...
Old 03-29-18, 04:36 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

​​​​​​I've personally done engine coolant exchanges before. So I would like to know what happened to the OP.

BTW, the OEM Toyota/Lexus red/pink coolant lasts like 100K miles!!! There is really no need to change them before it's time!!

I have a RAV4 with 102k on it and I can confirm that aside from topping off the OEM pink coolant, it looks as radiant as ever, as in no coloration seen in the radiator or reservoir.
Maybe for the OP's next drain and fill exercise, he could fill up, shake the RX vigorously from the front to get bubbles out, drive a mile and when safe, remove the radiator cap and shake it some more for any more bubbles that make their way up. And repeat as necessary if the temp needle is past the halfway point.
Old 03-29-18, 06:23 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I suspect his replacement engine and related costs will eliminate the need for any such inept, unskilled, uninformed, inexperienced maintenance attempts in the future. Sometimes a man's got to know his limitations, to quote Dirty Harry in that classic movie.

The lesson is that one should not be learning self taught automobile maintenance and repair on sensitive areas as the cooling system on a vehicle that costs as much as the RX. Especially when the maintenance is not even needed.

It is apparent from his posts that he did not know how to bleed a cooling system as he thought he could do it while driving far away on a trip! He may not have known about the bleed valve.
He probably poured the coolant in too fast creating air pockets and as suggested above, may have worked on a hot engine leading to other issues. We may never know the answers to these theories.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-29-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 01:59 PM
SkyKing901
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we change with red or pink coolant?
Old 06-08-20, 02:00 PM
SkyKing901
Rookie

I just got rx350 with 120k miles on it. Flush or drain and refill?
Old 06-09-20, 06:18 AM
Clutchless

Just do a drain and fill. There will not be anything that needs flushing. Replacing the coolant will protect your system. If you flush and use a garden hose then you have the problem of introducing tap water into the cooling system that must then be removed as you only want to use distilled water. Some of the Toyota coolant is sold premixed and does not need extra water added. See this link with tips on changing the coolant on the 3.5 V6, this is for the Highlander, but 97% is the same. The only differences are the engine and chassis shield covers are different.
FYI you do not have to open all the engine block drains. If you can get to one that is helpful. You can always disconnect some hoses to drain more coolant.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...cement.828482/
Old 06-09-20, 06:18 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyKing901
I just got rx350 with 120k miles on it. Flush or drain and refill?
I would do a flush.
Old 06-09-20, 11:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

I have yet to see particles in the coolant in any of the Lexus I have owned fro years. If the drain does not indicate any reason, I would stay with drain and fill.

Salim
Old 06-09-20, 12:25 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 338 Posts

Another vote for a simple drain-and-fill.
Old 06-12-20, 06:53 PM
SkyKing901
Rookie

I checked my coolant this evening and it's pink. Is Toyota oem pink or red?

edit: i guess red is for pre-2004, and pink is post 2004 vehicle.

Last edited by SkyKing901; 06-12-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 03:13 AM
Clutchless

Pink.
Toyota Super Long Life Pre-Diluted Anti-Freeze Coolant. Part No. 00272SLLC2
This is a 50/50 pre-mix. Available at many places online or your local Toyota or Lexus Dealer.
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota-50...0272SLLC2.html
Old 11-01-20, 07:11 PM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100k miles replace coolant?

2012 RX 100k miles. Should I replace coolant as suggested in the manual?

when car is cold the coolant level is very low in the tank. Does it go up to max when car is hot?

should I just top off coolant or get it replaced?

can I replace myself by just sucking old stuff out from the top and putting new SLLC in?
Old 11-02-20, 06:20 AM
Clutchless

You should replace it, which means drain and fill but you should take it to a shop as you could have engine failure if you do not replace your coolant properly. The cost is not that much compared to a new engine, which did happen to a member who only posted after he toasted his motor. At least watch youtube videos on changing the coolant on an RX350, Toyota Highlander or Sienna as all have the same engine. Then go to this link and read the instructions on how to change your coolant, then take it to a repair shop.https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...cement.828482/

Quick Reply: How to Replace engine coolant (Super Long Life)?