RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Firmware update for 3rd Gen RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16 | 07:12 PM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Default Firmware update for 3rd Gen RX?

Wife just bought a 2015 RX450h (early 2015 model), and I'm wondering if Lexus provides firmware updates. All I can find searching is nav system map updates, which we aren't worried about since the nav system is pretty horrible and we keep finding ourselves defaulting to our phones.

Are there firmware updates for these models?
Old 07-16-16 | 07:40 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Go to www.drivers.lexus.com and along the top click on
resources. Drop down to multimedia updates and enter
your model and year. Yours does not have any listed
at this time but check back periodically.

To combine the phone information you prefer with the RX's
screen download Lexus Enform App Suite to the phone and
hands free. You will then have three (3) computers available
to work with, 1) the built in that you regard as horrible...
2) the Destination Assist live operator that is terrific but
costs $10/month after the free year and 3) your lovely phone
that you can not watch while driving.

Last edited by mcomer; 07-16-16 at 07:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-16-16 | 09:26 AM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, looks like the URL won't work with the "www" included. But as you said, there isn't anything new for this vehicle.

We took the RX on its first road trip, and thought it would give us a good opportunity to learn the system. We paired my wife's iPhone to the system, so we could use the steering wheel control together with siri. Strangely, although it would play music and we could activate siri, the audi from the phone's nav system wouldn't come through the car's speakers. When we'd try to control from the phone, it says the audio was connected through bluetooth.

While trying to use the RX's built-in nav system, it felt like we were doing something wrong the entire time. I guess we're used to just saying where we want to go to our phone and seconds later the navigation starts. With the Lexus system, it felt like we were fighting the system, using voice commands, pausing for prompts, and breaking up our destination into smaller pieces. We were trying to stop for lunch at some food trucks in Portland on the way south while in WA. We had to find an address (with our phone) and then slowly say the state, city, etc... in bits and pieces to get it to take us there. And then it seemed to be off when we got close. It's not a new neighborhood, so I wouldn't assume a map update would solve this. And what's up with not muting the radio's broadcast for nav directions? I've got a 2010 Toyota that does that when paired with my phone's bluetooth and it gives directions from the phone.

It reminded me of programming the Garmin GPS we bought 10 years ago. I went and watched a whylexus.com video about how to program a destination, and it took him over 2 minutes to program the Starbucks up the street. And cancelling took a few menu options to accomplish. Once again, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this system seems very archaic. Luckily there was a passenger in the car to work through it.
Old 07-17-16 | 03:48 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

While the display is better in the Lexus than my wife's Toyota Avalon (2014), I didn't think any GPS could be worse than the Toyota's. I think Lexus succeded.
Old 07-17-16 | 04:13 PM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airboss
While the display is better in the Lexus than my wife's Toyota Avalon (2014), I didn't think any GPS could be worse than the Toyota's. I think Lexus succeded.

It's too bad really. It's one of those things you don't really get to find out during a test drive. I did a lot of research to find the best vehicle for my wife. Her RX450h is still it, but it's amazing that the flagship of a model, and a $60K car falls so short in this area. As the salesman was going through the features, everything sounded great. But putting it to functional use was frustrating.

At least she's enjoying the car, and getting good mileage in luxury for a change. It's a long step up from the 10 year old Solara SE she was driving.
Old 07-18-16 | 06:21 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 71GS455
It's too bad really. It's one of those things you don't really get to find out during a test drive. I did a lot of research to find the best vehicle for my wife. Her RX450h is still it, but it's amazing that the flagship of a model, and a $60K car falls so short in this area. As the salesman was going through the features, everything sounded great. But putting it to functional use was frustrating.

At least she's enjoying the car, and getting good mileage in luxury for a change. It's a long step up from the 10 year old Solara SE she was driving.

being on the forums prior to buying the Rx and knowing the GPS wasnt the greatest on it that didnt deter me from buying it. Google Maps on my phone will always surpass any cars GPS. And even if the rx's gps was awesomely epic, i still wouldnt spend the hundreds to update the maps in the future.
So dont feel like you didnt do a good job choosing the Rx for your wife because i was in the same boat as you with my wife and 3 years later she couldnt be happier!
Old 07-18-16 | 04:25 PM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greeknasty
being on the forums prior to buying the Rx and knowing the GPS wasnt the greatest on it that didnt deter me from buying it. Google Maps on my phone will always surpass any cars GPS. And even if the rx's gps was awesomely epic, i still wouldnt spend the hundreds to update the maps in the future.
So dont feel like you didnt do a good job choosing the Rx for your wife because i was in the same boat as you with my wife and 3 years later she couldnt be happier!
Agreed. I looked around forums for a while, but didn't see anything specific that was a recurring problem that would have sent me away.

We've still go our phones. Although we will need to work out, while connected to bluetooth, that the directions aren't playing through the speakers. I could still summon Siri using the steering wheel button (through the speakers), and music will play. It's just the nav audio not coming through.

And no other comparable car offers the city mpg, which is where the car will spend most of its time. I was pretty happy with the freeway mpg on our road trip too. A lot of it was spent north of 75mph and we still pulled in the upper 26's, also having 2000' of altitude changes. Not bad for a 4650+lb car.
Old 07-18-16 | 06:53 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Agreed. I looked around forums for a while, but didn't see anything specific that was a recurring problem that would have sent me away.

We've still go our phones. Although we will need to work out, while connected to bluetooth, that the directions aren't playing through the speakers. I could still summon Siri using the steering wheel button (through the speakers), and music will play. It's just the nav audio not coming through.

And no other comparable car offers the city mpg, which is where the car will spend most of its time. I was pretty happy with the freeway mpg on our road trip too. A lot of it was spent north of 75mph and we still pulled in the upper 26's, also having 2000' of altitude changes. Not bad for a 4650+lb car.
hm thats odd. with my android connected and listening to music, directions come through the speakers fine. Wonder if its something diff with apple.. Now if you are listening to radio then no you wont hear the directions
Old 07-18-16 | 07:54 PM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greeknasty
hm thats odd. with my android connected and listening to music, directions come through the speakers fine. Wonder if its something diff with apple.. Now if you are listening to radio then no you wont hear the directions

So the Lexus system won't play cell phone audio directions through listening to the radio!? That seems nuts. My 2010 Toyota Rav4, when paired through Bluetooth, will not only play the audio directions through the radio's speakers but it will also mute the volume of the radio while broadcasting the phone's directions through it.
Old 07-18-16 | 08:46 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

So the Lexus system won't play cell phone audio directions through listening to the radio!? That seems nuts. My 2010 Toyota Rav4, when paired through Bluetooth, will not only play the audio directions through the radio's speakers but it will also mute the volume of the radio while broadcasting the phone's directions through it.
nope i dont think so. I use my google music app most of the time so i cant be 100% sure, i can try it out tomorrow.
Old 07-19-16 | 06:37 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
Go to www.drivers.lexus.com and along the top click on
resources. Drop down to multimedia updates and enter
your model and year. Yours does not have any listed
at this time but check back periodically.

To combine the phone information you prefer with the RX's
screen download Lexus Enform App Suite to the phone and
hands free. You will then have three (3) computers available
to work with, 1) the built in that you regard as horrible...
2) the Destination Assist live operator that is terrific but
costs $10/month after the free year and 3) your lovely phone
that you can not watch while driving.
How do you get Destination Assist for $10/month. My understanding is that after the first year (and mine is up soon) the yearly cost is $300 (after July 21)???
Old 07-19-16 | 02:16 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

jclem is correct, I simply had separating the Destination Assist portion of $125/year
from the menu and divided by 12 months "$10/month" To get either the Lexus Enform
Remote features for $80/year or the DA you must be connected through Safety
Connect.

My original post was to extol the virtues of the (free) Lexus App Suite. It allows the
easy voice entry of destinations "Launch Destination Search" that the built in
data base handles awkwardly.
Old 07-19-16 | 04:46 PM
71GS455
Driver School Candidate

Just found an article today that Kia is updating models, some as old as 2014, with Android auto and Apple Car Play.

Knock-knock... Lexus, are you listening?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/19/...play-upgrades/
Old 07-22-16 | 08:01 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Just found an article today that Kia is updating models, some as old as 2014, with Android auto and Apple Car Play.

Knock-knock... Lexus, are you listening?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/19/...play-upgrades/
Lexus rarely listens, they're too busy "pursuing perfection"