RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

question about lexus smart card key

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16 | 09:12 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
Understood. I sometimes go the third party route, sometimes don't, and it sort of depends on reported success from others with which direction I go. On the issue of electronic key products, I've thus far had good success with third party products for BMW, Volvo, Ford, Subaru, and Toyota vehicles, so I would be inclined to do a third party source as long as they have extremely high ratings as a seller for that particular product line. At the same time, I never pretend that my choices should always be the same for others. Best of luck in your effort with this.
thanks for your input, at this point im just trying to find if a smart card key can be programmed to my 15 RX...better yet if anyone has done it successfully lets me know here on this thread.
Old 08-31-16 | 09:23 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

after doing some more reading I was able to find this post. so it confirms that its doable. good to know.
Originally Posted by sofspra
Ok, I had a new RX 2010 and it came with the Card Key. Loved it, I just don't carry keys any more. My residences have push button entry.

When I was buying a RX 2015, I was advised by sales that the key card was no longer available. After some haggling, they came back to say that it indeed was available. It was a local Lexus install.

I now have a fully functional Card Key, just like the RX 2010. However, they have never been able to supply the little key that should come with the Card Key. My local Ontario dealer claims that the key cannot be cut. I paid about $800 for the install. They have offered to refund the cost of supplying and cutting the key.

I am in Florida right now and will go over, perhaps today, to my local dealer for their comments. The 2015 manual describes the Card Key so not exactly a secret.

Also, my Ontario Lexus dealer supplies my battery needs for Fob's, etc, free of charge. Since I now have a Card Key with no key, I can now be locked out of the RX due to a dead battery. In response to my suggestion that Lexus just come and drive me home, they gave me a whole sheet of spare Key Card batteries. In addition to the Card Key in my wallet, I now have a spare battery in my wallet.

Comments invited on a RX 2015 with a working Card Key.

Thanks
Old 08-31-16 | 09:56 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Good find. Glad you got your confirmation.

I'm tempted to go this route, but will probably put it off for a while since I'm going to do wheel spacers, front interior windshield ceramic coating, and may have some minor paint work to get done to the top of my rear spoiler.
Old 08-31-16 | 06:37 PM
FLYCT

I don't know if Canadian RXs are any different than US RXs.

I had my dealer order a Smart Card Key and program it for my 2015 RX450h. Cost was $301. Initially they wanted $500 but they matched price of $225 + programming fee for a total of $301 that I found on Internet for the smart card from another Lexus dealer.

That card is always in my wallet. Unfortunatly the mechanical metal key that fits the card. The RX450h key is double cut and the smart card only can handle the not as think single cut key that is used in other Alexus models.

Here's an eBay link from a Lexus dealer for a smart card for the 2010-2015 RX350.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FA...tWMkWo&vxp=mtr

PIf you buy one it will need to be programmed by a Lexus. Dealer. Some dealers will only program keys they sell to you.
good luck.

Last edited by FLYCT; 08-31-16 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-01-16 | 05:14 PM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sofspra
Ok, I had a new RX 2010 and it came with the Card Key. Loved it, I just don't carry keys any more. My residences have push button entry.

When I was buying a RX 2015, I was advised by sales that the key card was no longer available. After some haggling, they came back to say that it indeed was available. It was a local Lexus install.

I now have a fully functional Card Key, just like the RX 2010. However, they have never been able to supply the little key that should come with the Card Key. My local Ontario dealer claims that the key cannot be cut. I paid about $800 for the install. They have offered to refund the cost of supplying and cutting the key.
so i got little excited after reading this post but then...
Originally Posted by FLYCT
I don't know if Canadian RXs are any different than US RXs.

I had my dealer order a Smart Card Key and program it for my 2015 RX450h. Cost was $301. Initially they wanted $500 but they matched price of $225 + programming fee for a total of $301 that I found on Internet for the smart card from another Lexus dealer.

That card is always in my wallet. Unfortunatly the mechanical metal key that fits the card. The RX450h key is double cut and the smart card only can handle the not as think single cut key that is used in other Alexus models.

Here's an eBay link from a Lexus dealer for a smart card for the 2010-2015 RX350.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FACTORY-CREDIT-CARD-WALLET-SMART-KEY-2010-2015-RX350-89994-48072-/252504871413?fits=Model%3ARX350&hash=item3aca7691f5:g:ndYAAOSwT5tWMkWo&vxp=mtr
so i contacted the lexus dealer in this ebay seller link...i gave them my vin.
their reply follows...

"Good Morning,
I show with your VIN in that this key is not compatible with your vehicle. With your VIN in it does not show that vehicle is capable of supporting a credit card style key. My apologies

-Bell Lexus"
Old 09-09-16 | 06:15 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

not giving up yet...im still doing some more research/reading. I kinda see light at the end of the tunnel. will keep posting.
Old 09-09-16 | 06:28 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Perhaps you can drop by the dealer to have a technician hook up their scanning/programming tool to verify once and for all whether or not they have the software access point to configure the credit card key? Might cost you an hour's worth of the technician's time, but it would be a hard and fast determination.
Old 09-10-16 | 08:13 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

so I went thru owners manual and found below FCC IDs for RXs sold in NA.
FCC ID: NI4TMLF8-6
FCC ID: HYQ14ACX
FCC ID: HYQ14AEB
FCC ID: HYQ13CZF
FCC ID: HYQ14ADF
FCC ID: HYQ14AEF
FCC ID: HYQ13CZG
I was able to find thru FCC website that these FCC IDs runs on 2 different frequency. 314.35 MHz and 312.15 MHz.
I found out that mine FCC ID has same frequency as some of these FCC IDs which is 314.35 MHz so I think im just gonna order and try to programme.
Old 09-10-16 | 08:14 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
Perhaps you can drop by the dealer to have a technician hook up their scanning/programming tool to verify once and for all whether or not they have the software access point to configure the credit card key? Might cost you an hour's worth of the technician's time, but it would be a hard and fast determination.
I talked to the advisor and he said the same thing. can't be done since there is no compatible part with my VIN.
Old 09-10-16 | 11:02 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Parts cross reference lists are NOT always updated correctly or in a timely manner for every VIN.

I understand what you're saying about the "no compatible part" report from an advisor. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that as year models progress and part numbers change and adjust for the newer years, that even though their system SHOWS "no compatible part", that does NOT necessarily mean that other part numbers for other vehicle years/models will not work. That is why I suggested forcing the issue to the point where a service tech actually connects his diagnostic/programming equipment directly to your vehicle and confirms within your vehicle's software that he either can or cannot connect a credit card key. If you're respectful but insistent and are offering to pay the service fee for confirmation, I would think that a responsible dealer would accommodate your wishes. Even if the advisor thinks you're wasting you money, you're really not wasting it because you are paying for information, and you will certainly get it with that route. It should not take him more than 15-20 minutes to find that out, and that should only be a $25-$50 charge. Then you would KNOW for certain and not be running on an assumption that the Lexus parts cross reference system is actually up to date and 100% accurate... and I think we all know that it's NOT.

I would also request, assuming that the dealer goes along with your request, that you also insist on speaking directly to the technician to make sure that he truly understands what you're after and why you are pushing the point a little. They will often do a better job for you if they understand the nuances of what you're after, and they will also recognize a higher level of accountability by seeing that you know what you're about and how all the conflicting sources of information make the issue not nearly as straight forward as it might otherwise seem.

Shoot, perhaps they could even just go ahead and try to make one work for you, and if it does, then it's a win-win and the dealer tech/advisor will have learned something new while also satisfying their customer. If it doesn't, then you're out a few dollars and know for sure where the limit is.
Old 09-10-16 | 03:15 PM
FLYCT

As a point of reference.

My 2015 RX450h has a Lexus Smart Card programmed by the local dealer.

Yes, they originally said that there was no Card Key available for my car. I had another dealer tell me that there was one that would work but that the metal key would not fit. I gave my dealer the email with the part number and prices and they matched the out of town dealer. I believe that they charged me 30 minutes labor to program the car to the smart card.

Being that the RXh has a double cut key and the Card key only has room for a slimmer single cut key, the dealer cut a blank from the key code to enable me to open a door if battery is dead. I keep this in a hide-a-key box hidden underneath the car.
Pictures of all three items are below.

The FCC #'s on them are as follows:
FCC ID: HYQ14ACX on the Original FOB
FCC ID: HYQ14AEB on the Card Key

Both appear to be frequency 314.35
https://fccid.io/HYQ14AEB
https://fccid.io/HYQ14ACX
Attached Thumbnails question about lexus smart card key-fullsizerender-16-.jpg  

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-10-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-29-16 | 10:34 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

FWIW, my 350 did not come with a card key. I bought one for my husband, since he already had one fob in his pocket for his car, and two fobs was one too many.

It cost about $300, in 2010. Don't know if its availability has changed since then.
Old 10-04-16 | 07:09 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Boom! I ordered one and programmed it to my car and it works. I did made sure that the frequency matches with my FOB since the Card FCC # is different from my FOB FCC #. I paid about $500 Can, little expensive but I am very happy with it and don't have to carry bulky FOB with me anymore.
Thanks for your input on this guys.
Old 10-04-16 | 08:03 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out for you.
Old 07-23-20 | 11:12 PM
Bionoiz
Driver School Candidate

Chaps, could someone who got 2010 RX take a photo of the card key back side (need to understand which type is it to order for mine 2010 oldie RX350, which i bought only with 2 smartkeys)?

Quick Reply: question about lexus smart card key