RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 09:49 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Or you can carry a heavy duty "battery booster pack", the same kind tow trucks use to jump start others. I recently was on an RV trip to the ski slopes in the high mountains and our kids tend to run the "house battery" down while parked without the generator running/engine running and then the "car battery" will start to drain. The RV generator was starving for oxygen under load even with adjustment for altitudes (but we were at 11K+ feet up).

So we did not want to be stranded in the high mountains in the cold. We had our battery booster FULLY charged and ready to go at moments notice.
I have one of these also. I was just pointing out to the individual that stepping down on the gas pedal does nothing in a modern car. Until it is running of course.
Old 01-03-18, 10:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true with these modern fly by wire throttle controllers.

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have one of these also. I was just pointing out to the individual that stepping down on the gas pedal does nothing in a modern car. Until it is running of course.
Old 01-08-18, 05:37 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The battery in our 2015 RX350 let go last month. It was 39 months from when we bought it new. I called Lexus Roadside Assistance, and they came out and replaced it free within 45 minutes. Impressive! :-)

Otherwise, my plan B was to replace it myself with a battery from Sam's Club. Never needed plan B.
Old 01-08-18, 07:16 PM
kezgao
Rookie

OEM battery from my 2013 lasted little over 5 years before it died. Replaced it with one from Costco.
Old 01-09-18, 10:20 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

No need to second guess when the battery is end of life.

Measure the SoC. Do advance replacement when it falls below spec.
Old 01-09-18, 10:29 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you know if you change a battery on a BMW you have registered it 😱
Old 01-10-18, 03:50 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, never had a BMW so I've never heard if needing to "register" a battery.

Does any other car company demand such a procedure?

I did a bit of digging and found some blogs where the proud BMW owners would insist that not registering could lead to complete electrical system destruction. Goodness.

At first I thought that, Gee, maybe BMW really knows their stuff and by collecting all this information the car computer can predict imminent battery failure, kind of like the HAL computer in "2001" predicted the failure of that electronics box on the communications antenna. But now I think it's more a case of getting a significant percentage of BMW drivers to pay extra to the dealership.
Old 01-10-18, 04:05 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Another thing, I don't know what was meant by a "battery booster pack" mentioned earlier, but if it's one of these great big things with beefy jumper cables, perhaps that's not necessary these days. You can buy a tiny little pack the size of a brick that works great. I used mine to start a nearby stranded pickup truck V8 in a Costco parking lot last year. These things contain lithium cells and can produce huge currents for a short time. Costco had 'em for about $40 before Christmas.

Last edited by riredale; 12-11-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 04:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Wow, never had a BMW so I've never heard if needing to "register" a battery.

Does any other car company demand such a procedure?

I did a bit of digging and found some blogs where the proud BMW owners would insist that not registering could lead to complete electrical system destruction. Goodness.
dealer shops also
At first I thought that, Gee, maybe BMW really knows their stuff and by collecting all this information the car computer can predict imminent battery failure, kind of like the HAL computer in "2001" predicted the failure of that electronics box on the communications antenna. But now I think it's more a case of getting a significant percentage of BMW drivers to pay extra to the dealership.
Audi, MB is same. New battery comes with id. which contains battery information. By registering it allows full capacity performance. If you don't new battery acts like old dying battery. Non deals\er specialty shops
can read battery capacity with special tools. When my son had his BMW vehicle winterizing service done by a non dealer shop, they tested out a result of battery condition which show battery is in good shape.
There are some You tube tutorials regarding this.
Old 01-15-18, 04:49 PM
doumat
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX 350 - dead battery can I easily change myself?

I have a RX350 , 2012 and 30 minutes after driving it, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Can't lock the doors automatically, just a few lights come and go on the dash. I suspect the battery has given up (5 years old). I checked the battery terminals and loosened/re-tightened as well as checked battery fluid levels which seem okay.

I'm wondering if it is the battery but was thinking of picking one up at Costco and changing it anyway, BUT, can I change it without messing up any settings (radio code, power window settings, tire pressure sensor settings), OR am I best to get a tow to the dealer and have them do it?

Thanks everyone !
Old 01-16-18, 02:18 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I called AAA and got a quote on the phone with an exact spec REPLACEMENT battery. There are really only a few car battery manufacturers. The one I got from AAA for my LX570 was an Interstate brand with 72 months warranty (first 36 months free replacement and the second 36 months prorated). It was truly a painless process and as I recalled it was cheaper than Sam's Club/Costco/Walmart/Pep Boys. Definitely cheaper than Lexus dealership. In the past I found none of these places were willing to install the battery even if I buy it from them (other than the Lexus dealership who will of course install it for s fee).

If you are going to do self install, then I would recommend you get a "battery saver" that plugs into the cigarette lighter to retain all memories of the car's settings. Or you can hook up a "battery booster pack" in parallel to achieve the same purpose (This was what I did some years ago for many times until I discovered AAA can COME TO ME AND DO IT ALL CHEAPER AND QUICKER!!!).

Since you already know the cost at Costco, you have nothing to loose by calling AAA to get a quote. If you are not a AAA member, ask about any incentives to join right here right now !!! You never know, they might just wave their basic first year membership fee!!!??

Originally Posted by doumat
I have a RX350 , 2012 and 30 minutes after driving it, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Can't lock the doors automatically, just a few lights come and go on the dash. I suspect the battery has given up (5 years old). I checked the battery terminals and loosened/re-tightened as well as checked battery fluid levels which seem okay.

I'm wondering if it is the battery but was thinking of picking one up at Costco and changing it anyway, BUT, can I change it without messing up any settings (radio code, power window settings, tire pressure sensor settings), OR am I best to get a tow to the dealer and have them do it?

Thanks everyone !
Old 01-16-18, 06:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

You will not lose any settings doing a battery swap. It is only out of the car a couple of minutes. I had no issues doing mine.
However, in the US Advance Autoparts will install new batteries for free. So I would check with Canadian Tire or similar as they will likely be less expensive than a dealer. A battery is a battery no matter where you get it, all it does is start the car and need replacement a few to several years later.
Old 01-16-18, 06:33 AM
kezgao
Rookie

I just bought a replacement battery for my 2013 and replaced it myself. Didn't lose any settings, perhaps the settings are saved to the hard drive? Reading through the manual, as long as you keep the tail gate shut, you don't have to do anything after the replacement. If you had it opened while taking the battery out, they say to manually close the tailgate and re-open it with the automatic system to re-calibrate.

Replacing the battery was very simple definitely a easy DIY.
Old 01-16-18, 10:45 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't want to do it yourself, I believe Carquest is in Canada and will install free.
I'd make sure they had it in stock and just jump your old one to get there.
They would also do a free diagnostic to determine if the battery is the offending part.
Old 03-28-18, 03:05 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default car battery

I would like to replace my car battery sometime soon because it isn't good anymore, any suggestions on some specific type/brand for a durable one?

Quick Reply: Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)