RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Estimated Costs for replacing Front Struts and Rear Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 04:05 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Estimated Costs for replacing Front Struts and Rear Shocks?

OK, the car now has 180k miles on it, at nearly 7 years old. The latest service showed the tires are cupping, indicating time to replace some suspension components. I asked for an estimate, and I was told:

$950 for parts and installation of front shocks
$550 for parts and installation of rear struts (or vice versa, I can never remember).

I have had the notorious squeaking in the passenger rear, that numerous members confirm are the rear trailing arms. Is this included in the parts for the struts, or is it a whole 'nother part and installation cost? And even if not included, what would the cost be of those parts too? $1500 for the suspension plus a new set of tires (I'm due for a new set) is a real hit to the wallet...

Are there sources where I can buy the parts myself, to make sure they're what I need (rather than some cheap knockoff part?)
Old 10-07-16, 06:27 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rear shocks took me an hour in my own garage with a floor jack & torque wrench. All tools were manual. The hour included a spin around the block too.
I used OEM shocks about 70.00 each. $550.00 for the rear set sounds pretty rich.
Front struts will take a bit more time but not a major job. I've changed a few on Civics using spring & strut assemblies. I'm guessing about an hour each side.
$950 sound rich here too.
Rear arms are another animal.
Old 10-07-16, 06:36 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 376 Posts

Struts in front, shocks in rear. The rear trailing arms would have nothing to do with a shock replacement, so count on extra $$ if you want to do those as well. There are some other threads that mention the cost of the rear trailing arm replacement, a search might pop something up.

I'm kind of surprised based on "tire cupping" they suggest struts and shocks. I would have suspected other suspension components first. I've had struts and shocks go on cars before and never saw it affect tire left (my +13 year old Sienna with 220,000km still has 1 original strut and both original rear shocks and tire life is still excellent, even though the ride quality certainly isn't like new anymore). You can go with non-OEM parts, probably cut the cost of the parts in half, but ride quality might be different and also might not have the same longevity.
Old 10-08-16, 08:09 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rear OEM shocks are 44.86 list price ,trailing arms are 330.00 a side . front struts are 157.00 a side .there are other parts on the struts that sometime need replacing also. Any good independent shop can install these parts and do an alignment cheaper then dealer .
Old 10-10-16, 05:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,153 Likes on 984 Posts

With that high a mileage, when replacing the front struts you also want to replace the strut mount bearings, which are about $30 each at www.lexuspartsnow.com or one of the other online discount OEM sources. I agree with those above that it will be far cheaper to get the OEM parts yourself online, or price them through an independent as they get a dealer discount and have the independent garage install everything as you will save a lot of money. I have found the OEM shocks and struts to be cheaper than the only aftermarket source, KYB, who also makes the OEM ones. I just ordered rear shocks for $33.90 each from the above source because mine were leaking. With shipping it was about $40 each.
Old 10-11-16, 10:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sandi, I just wanted to add please make sure you get the right parts since you have the sport package. They're different from what I recall.
Old 10-11-16, 10:50 AM
Clutchless

When shopping recently for my rear shocks, I noted that Lexus Parts Now lists the Sports Package shocks/struts for my Canada built vehicle and they are the same price. Pay attention to part numbers because Lexus has changed them a couple times but they cross reference, you just have to be diligent. I also looked at Lexus South Atlanta where they list the Sport Package shocks (2010-2012?) as no longer available. Note the Japan built vehicles take different part numbers.
I also looked at this Austin Lexus dealer online because another thread on CL advised they had an extensive detailed parts listing. They indicate the Sports Package shocks are available.

http://parts.autonationtoyotasouthau...omponents-scat

Both Canada built rear shocks are the same part number. Left and right are the same part.
The Sports Package rear shocks are part no. 48531-0E141 which replaced 48531-0E040 and 48531-0E140.
The Regular Base rear shocks are part no. 48531-0E130 which replaced 48531-0E020

My replacement rear shocks arrived and are made by Tokico! Will post photos when I do the swap.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-14-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-16, 04:22 AM
Clutchless

Replaced the shocks and found that both the original and replacement shocks are made by Tokico. Both of my rear shocks were leaking, with wet lower shock bodies. I wonder why Tokico does not then make aftermarket shocks for the RX. I found a youtube video of the replacement, so did not take any photos.
Old 10-14-16, 10:54 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Barry2522
Rear OEM shocks are 44.86 list price ,trailing arms are 330.00 a side . front struts are 157.00 a side .there are other parts on the struts that sometime need replacing also. Any good independent shop can install these parts and do an alignment cheaper then dealer .
Thanks, Barry - do you have a source for the parts I can use? And BTW, the $1500 price quote *is* from an independent shop, not the dealer...I like the work they've done, but that price seemed high to me, as well.

Shocks x 2 = $90
Trailing arms x 2 = $660
Struts x 2 = $314

Total: $1064 plus labor. Knowing that I got finally got the trailing arms fixed would be a good thing - the rear squeak has annoyed me for a while :-)
Old 10-14-16, 10:56 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Fantastic, thank you!

Anita, yes, I know that the sport versions are stiffer, and this post by Clutchless is awesomely helpful.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
When shopping recently for my rear shocks, I noted that Lexus Parts Now lists the Sports Package shocks/struts and they are the same price. Pay attention to part numbers because Lexus has changed them a couple times but they cross reference, you just have to be diligent. I also looked at Lexus South Atlanta where they list the Sport Package shocks (2010-2012?) as no longer available.
I also looked at this Austin Lexus dealer online because another thread on CL advised they had an extensive detailed parts listing. They indicate the Sports Package shocks are available.

Both rear shocks are the same part number. Left and right are the same part.
The Sports Package rear shocks are part no. 48531-0E141 which replaced 48531-0E040 and 48531-0E140.
The Regular Base rear shocks are part no. 48531-0E130 which replaced 48531-0E020

My replacement rear shocks arrived and are made by Tokico! Will post photos when I do the swap.
Old 10-14-16, 11:07 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Clutchless, I just searched both the autonation site and the LexusPartsnow site, and neither showed a PN of 48531-OE141

I can drill down by rear springs/shocks, and then I get a lot of part numbers, none of which are clearly the ones I need.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...=&PartNumbers=

When shopping recently for my rear shocks, I noted that Lexus Parts Now lists the Sports Package shocks/struts and they are the same price. Pay attention to part numbers because Lexus has changed them a couple times but they cross reference, you just have to be diligent. I also looked at Lexus South Atlanta where they list the Sport Package shocks (2010-2012?) as no longer available.

Both rear shocks are the same part number. Left and right are the same part.

Old 10-14-16, 11:23 AM
Clutchless

That is because you have a Japan built vehicle, which I determined because you entered your VIN. I have a Canada built vehicle. They take different parts.
I will revise my original posting. However, under the listing for the Canada vehicle, it clearly states with Sports package for the appropriate shocks.

The Austin dealer I linked in above, has the shocks for both Canada and Japan on one page which makes it easier to see the part numbers for comparison. I think you may need to call them to figure this out.
Old 10-14-16, 01:00 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Replaced the shocks and found that both the original and replacement shocks are made by Tokico. Both of my rear shocks were leaking, with wet lower shock bodies. I wonder why Tokico does not then make aftermarket shocks for the RX. I found a youtube video of the replacement, so did not take any photos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xE_M6mOUz4
would happen to know the torque setting for the bolts?
Old 10-14-16, 06:10 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

68 ft/lbs. & 74 ft./lbs. Can't remember which is for top or bottom without checking a manual.
Old 10-17-16, 07:03 AM
Clutchless

I did both upper and lower at 80 ft. lbs. which were the numbers I found for another Toyota model and figured it was likely the same on the RX. Anyway, that is close enough to your numbers.

Also I installed the Sport Package rear shocks on my vehicle and really enjoy the improved driving dynamics! No more body wallowing around when I pull into my driveway or go around a corner. More precise steering response.
Before I bought mine I spent months trying to find a rare sport package but gave up. I learned both models have the same springs but the struts & shocks and VDIM are really the only performance differences, not counting the 19 inch wheels, which are on a lot of them without the sport package. I may have to change the front struts next year.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-17-16 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Estimated Costs for replacing Front Struts and Rear Shocks?