RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Aftermarket TPSM Installation Complication

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 07:30 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket TPSM Installation Complication

Hi Fam!

This is a ranting post more than anything else.
So I got a set of Savini wheels from CarID and they did the mounting/balancing and tpsm installation to me.
I then took the wheels to a local auto shop to put onto the car.
What ended up happening was that because the afermarket wheels have 2 valve, the tpsm was installed on the inner side of the wheel.
Apparently there wasn't enough clearance between the value stem, so it hit the control arm of the car and broke the new tpsm sensors.

Wonder if anyone else have similar experience with installing TPMS sensors on aftermarket rims with 2 valves, since that's different from the convention 1 valve rim.
Old 10-19-16, 12:36 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

A couple of years ago we had a set of two piece DPE wheels installed on our Acura. The wheels had two valves and the TPMS were installed on the outside valve so there wasn't a problem. In your case you may have to have the TPMS removed and installed on the outside valves, hopefully there is enough room to install them there.

If you haven't already done so call CarID and explain what happened. I doubt it, but maybe they will credit you for the costs you will incur having the wheels unmounted, remounted, and balanced again. Hopefully the shop will remove the TPMS without damaging them.
Old 10-19-16, 02:53 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
A couple of years ago we had a set of two piece DPE wheels installed on our Acura. The wheels had two valves and the TPMS were installed on the outside valve so there wasn't a problem. In your case you may have to have the TPMS removed and installed on the outside valves, hopefully there is enough room to install them there.

If you haven't already done so call CarID and explain what happened. I doubt it, but maybe they will credit you for the costs you will incur having the wheels unmounted, remounted, and balanced again. Hopefully the shop will remove the TPMS without damaging them.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

1) So CarID actually installed the TPSM on the inside of the rim, so very likely they have made a mistake there. However, they kept telling me that it is supposed to be installed on the inside, as it would be more difficult to pump air out if it is installed on the outside of the rim. The auto shop guy is telling me that I should install them on the outside, which makes more sense to me. Plus hearing from you experience, it seems like they know more than the CarID rep. I am quite disappointed by their customer service.

2) Are you ever concern that the extra valve would lead to issue such as flat tire, as there is potentially an extra leak for the air to come out?
Old 10-20-16, 04:38 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

We never had an issue with the inside valve leaking, so IMO once you get the TPMS positioning / clearance issues figured out you should be fine.
Old 10-20-16, 07:23 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

1.) It's likely correct that they're installed on the inside. I have some Work VSXX and because they're Step Rims only a valve fits on the outer barrel and not the base of a TPMS. Their error was failing to consider that striking suspension components. They're used to only checking for interference based on width, offset and caliper clearance.
2.) Double the valves doubles your chances of leaks from valves. Since this has never happened to me, I'd say 2x0=0, or pretty close.