RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

changed the rear shocks on my RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 07:46 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I look forward to your reviews of the Bilstein B6 shocks as I was deciding whether to get them as an experiment.

I have just installed (Dec. 27) front Sachs Sport Suspension struts to replace worn original struts (76000 miles). Had to grind off the rusted sway bar links and replace them! One strut bearing was shot and fell apart upon removal, but I had purchased new ones.
The Sachs struts are great, improving handling and the ride is stiffer but I like it after getting used to the difference this week. Very little body roll, more responsive steering. Rock Auto used to carry them. I had ordered these 3 months ago, but just got around to installing them.
Compressing the springs was a real challenge and I almost burned out my Milwaukee 18 volt impact driver. Had to switch batteries several times and keep charging them.

I have the Sachs rear shocks, but they are the regular suspension version and I want something with less rocking body roll, thus the Bilsteins look like a great idea. It appears impossible to find the Sachs rear sport suspension shocks. The Rock Auto listing is very confusing listing both under the same part number.
I had the Lexus F-Sport shocks in the rear before I installed the Sachs in front and they made the ride quite jittery on highway bumps. My wife hated it. The rear Sachs did smooth the ride out. And I installed poly rear sway bar bushings, and new rear trailing arms which made a big difference in reducing body roll.
Getting it aligned after installing the front struts, I learned from their printout that the new rear trailing arms did more to put it out of alignment than changing the front struts!
Old 01-08-20, 08:52 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rababich
Our 2012 has 83k and I have a set of the Bilstein B6 shocks ordered, too.
Already replaced the rear anti-roll bar bushings with polyurethane which seem to have helped firm things up a bit, I'll get to the fronts in awhile.
Don't know if there are any larger anti-roll bars available, but the bars we have are very good as is.
Can you share the details on the rear polyurethane bushings?

Also, still researching to see if front sway bar on Awd model is thicker. From what I gather it is. Thoughts are it will reduce body roll but may increase understeer.

Shocks are due in Thursday so excited to get this installed. A few mentioned rattling noises and now I'm connecting this with what I heard get progressively louder. Hope it's the rear shocks..

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 01-08-20 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 10:49 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Let us know how the Bilstein B6 rear shocks perform on your vehicle after spending a few days driving with them....
Old 01-08-20, 11:01 AM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
Can you share the details on the rear polyurethane bushings?
Also, still researching to see if front sway bar on Awd model is thicker. From what I gather it is. Thoughts are it will reduce body roll but may increase understeer.
Shocks are due in Thursday so excited to get this installed. A few mentioned rattling noises and now I'm connecting this with what I heard get progressively louder. Hope it's the rear shocks..
Checkout the thread "Polyurethane sway bar - stabilizer bushings on eBay".
I used Prothane 19-1131-BL 13/16" bushings and had to drill out the slots in the mounting brackets to 1/2" to go over the frame mounted bolts.
A larger front bar will increase understeer which is why some aftermarket bars are sold as matched sets.
Installed the Bilstein B6 rear shocks today.
Lining up the top bolt first and compressing the bottom of the shock with a scissors jack works well.
I had checked the right rear OEM shock when we got our RX 75k this year and it looked fine, however the left shock was shot.
There was a visible leak on one side and when compressed the shock would not extend.
Otherwise, installation was straight forward.

Old 01-08-20, 11:09 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Thanks for the installation details. Keep us posted on your impression of how the B6 rear shocks ride and perform....
Old 01-08-20, 12:34 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

Get the Siberian polyurethane bushings on eBay. I installed them on my rear sway bar. They are an exact fit with the original brackets and even come with sway bar grease. I have had them installed for a couple of months and highly recommend them. Cost is about $26, but delivery from Russia takes a few weeks.
Search eBay and this is the auction title: Set of 2 PU Bush Rr Susp. Swaybar fits RX450H RX270 RX350 ID 21.7 mm
They are bright yellow and the seller is Siberian Bushings

They list 3 different ones for the front bar, which is 26mm. You will need to compare visually which matches.
I would not bother with the front ones. We have too much understeer. Just replacing the rear mounts with poly will help make it understeer less.
Old 01-09-20, 10:12 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Just finished the install and quick test ride. What a difference! Def. firmer than the worn Tokicos. One doesn't realize it as it gradually degrades over the years. Both shocks were leaking.

I didn't think about it until I went to install them but the shocks are upside down, the shaft is on top and body below.

Looking forward to a longer drive.. def handles better than with worn shocks.. whole car feels more solid and I think the squeaking is gone!

Old 01-09-20, 10:25 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Get the Siberian polyurethane bushings on eBay. I installed them on my rear sway bar. They are an exact fit with the original brackets and even come with sway bar grease. I have had them installed for a couple of months and highly recommend them. Cost is about $26, but delivery from Russia takes a few weeks.
Search eBay and this is the auction title: Set of 2 PU Bush Rr Susp. Swaybar fits RX450H RX270 RX350 ID 21.7 mm
They are bright yellow and the seller is Siberian Bushings

They list 3 different ones for the front bar, which is 26mm. You will need to compare visually which matches.
I would not bother with the front ones. We have too much understeer. Just replacing the rear mounts with poly will help make it understeer less.
Appears there's a seller on Ebay from New Jersey now! thanks for the help to find it. Item number 263927163668.
Old 01-10-20, 04:27 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Glad to hear that you are initially very pleased with your new Bilstein B6 rear shocks. Keep us posted as you roll up the miles....

By the way, how many miles are currently on your RX?
Old 01-10-20, 09:10 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Glad to hear that you are initially very pleased with your new Bilstein B6 rear shocks. Keep us posted as you roll up the miles....

By the way, how many miles are currently on your RX?
80k miles. Both were leaking. It’s def firm which is what I prefer.

Now I’m wondering how it would feel replacing the front struts.

Old 01-10-20, 09:23 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Thanks. My wife's 2015 RX350 is approaching 49,000 miles so hopefully it has a ways to go before new rear shocks are needed. I will certainly take another good look at them when I do the 50,000-mile service.

Your front struts may still be okay. Consensus here on the forum seems to be that they last significantly longer than the inferior-quality factory rear shocks.
Old 01-10-20, 04:54 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
.... I didn't think about it until I went to install them but the shocks are upside down, the shaft is on top and body below. ....
I've seen this mentioned before "the shocks are upside down".
Just curious, are there many cars with the shaft below?
All the Fords, a Corolla and a Camry I've owned have the shocks mounted with the shaft on top.
Old 01-10-20, 05:29 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by rababich
I've seen this mentioned before "the shocks are upside down".
Just curious, are there many cars with the shaft below?
All the Fords, a Corolla and a Camry I've owned have the shocks mounted with the shaft on top.
Most current cars uses struts front and rear... most truck use shock and have the boot below which basically means shaft below.

The other good factor about shaft below is debris falls off vs sit at the seal if it got past the boot.

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 01-10-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 05:42 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Default Pics from install

Leaky tokico’s that were removed. They felt rough at the top of the travel but the oil covered body is enough evidence they are done.

Next item due to replace are new HID bulbs. When with Philips D4S 42402VIC1's. Claimed to be brighter than stock. They original bulbs are def. dimmer than there were when new.

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 01-10-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 04:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

The rear shock inferior quality was supposedly acknowledged and improved for the 2015 model year. I hope that is true but I have my doubts. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: changed the rear shocks on my RX