RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

changed the rear shocks on my RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default changed the rear shocks on my RX

hey all! i only have 27,720 miles on my 15 rx but i decided to replace the rear shocks anyway with the kyb excel g shocks. got them for a great price on amazon for $61.87. the main reason i did this was because i felt that the rear was riding a little too bumpy at times. first off it was a very easy job as i suspected. i noticed right away that the kyb shocks were a tad slimmer than the factory tokico shocks are. now for the ride; it is definitely a smoother ride now which i am happy with, and a little floatier than the factory ones as well. handling seems to be the same. i did however keep the factory shocks because they are still like new as far as what i can detect and no leaks yet either. but as i stated above the tokico shocks looked a little heavier duty so that explains the softer ride now. i will see how it goes for a few months after they break in etc.
ryan

Last edited by lexus114; 11-07-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 09:52 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am definitely interested in how you think they soften up the ride in the rear . Let us know what you think in a few months .
Old 11-07-16, 10:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

will do Barry. and traveling the same bumpy roads to and from work around here. so far i can definitely feel an improvement.
Old 11-08-16, 10:27 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too installed these on my RX and it definitely made a difference for me; almost night and day. Although this was partially due to the fact that I was riding on a leaking shock and thought the ride characteristics were "normal".
Old 11-08-16, 03:08 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The factory original shocks should go 60K to 70K. But, on a diet of bumpy roads, it would be less. I don't mind the slightly firm ride on our RX, but will want to hear from you about the long-term quality okf the shocks.
Old 11-09-16, 11:05 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 11bravo
The factory original shocks should go 60K to 70K. But, on a diet of bumpy roads, it would be less. I don't mind the slightly firm ride on our RX, but will want to hear from you about the long-term quality okf the shocks.
will do bravo
Old 11-09-16, 11:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dat dude
I too installed these on my RX and it definitely made a difference for me; almost night and day. Although this was partially due to the fact that I was riding on a leaking shock and thought the ride characteristics were "normal".
so you really noticed a difference in ride then with a shock going bad.
Old 11-09-16, 11:15 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

On mine the deterioration in ride from the slowly leaking shocks, first the left, then the right, was subtle. I became used to the body rolling all over when turning into my driveway and the floating feeling on the highway. After installing new OEM Sport Package ones a few weeks ago, it tightened up the ride a lot. No more rolling around turning into the driveway. Ride is a bit stiffer and body roll is much less. I like the handling improvement and had always thought the ride was too soft and the handling terrible in this car. Now I think the left rear shock may have been leaking for some time. I did not notice the right was leaking until I removed it.
The following users liked this post:
CanuckLS (10-18-20)
Old 11-09-16, 12:30 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clutchless
On mine the deterioration in ride from the slowly leaking shocks, first the left, then the right, was subtle. I became used to the body rolling all over when turning into my driveway and the floating feeling on the highway. After installing new OEM Sport Package ones a few weeks ago, it tightened up the ride a lot. No more rolling around turning into the driveway. Ride is a bit stiffer and body roll is much less. I like the handling improvement and had always thought the ride was too soft and the handling terrible in this car. Now I think the left rear shock may have been leaking for some time. I did not notice the right was leaking until I removed it.
well so far, i like the ride much better. but we will see after they are worn in.
Old 11-09-16, 12:33 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
so you really noticed a difference in ride then with a shock going bad.
I notice a difference 110%, when the shocks were going bad the rear end of the car would jump up when I went over a bump. Now with the new shocks the ride is so much smoother, and to a point "solid feeling".
Old 11-09-16, 12:36 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dat dude
I notice a difference 110%, when the shocks were going bad the rear end of the car would jump up when I went over a bump. Now with the new shocks the ride is so much smoother, and to a point "solid feeling".
now lets see how these hold up compared to the factory ones.... but then again for that price.. what the heck.
Old 11-09-16, 02:28 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
now lets see how these hold up compared to the factory ones.... but then again for that price.. what the heck.
Exactly! What do you have to loose?
Old 11-11-16, 07:35 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my rear and front shock replaced at dealer. the rear OEM shock is just $50 each and labor $122. Much cheaper than replacing the front shock.
Old 11-26-16, 01:14 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shttt. Lexus charged me 450 for the rear shock
Old 11-27-16, 12:52 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When rotating tires or swapping snows/summers, I always look around for leaks in and around the brakes and in and around the shocks. I've never seen any leaks on any cars that I have had. Is leaking shocks a common thing? I drive in the city, pretty good roads. Maybe I'm kind to my shocks compared to other drivers in other situations.

For those who've felt they've needed to change shocks, are there any things I should watch for?

Quick Reply: changed the rear shocks on my RX