RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Talk me out of a '13 Audi Q5 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 02:28 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I had calculated that our RX450h depreciates $5K each year for the first 8 years. I did not expect the depreciation to be that linear.
Considering I needed to invest at year 4 into new tires and brakes, savings buying used may have been offset by that.
Then there may be some tax implications. Each state is different in how it collects the sales or property tax.
In some states, it is beneficial to drive older cars as the property tax is calculated each year on their value, while OH charges sales tax upfront and deducts value of a trade-in vehicle only on new purchases.

As I mentioned in one of the posts above, check out Subaru Outback. It will fit right in with your budget and it has more features than the RX, never mind a superior AWD system.
My wife doesn't really like the Subie... is it a comparable brand to the Lexus?
Old 11-21-16, 03:18 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by easye
Toyota owns a part of Subaru, so in a way, yes.
It is a rather interesting niche brand that appeals to people looking for value and practicality in their rides.
Having a cult following, their vehicles depreciate at a slow rate.
Of course, having an architecture built entirely over symmetrical AWD system, does not hurt either.
Other than Porsche, they are the only ones offering boxer engines, where the cylinders are places 180 degrees from each other.
This allows for lower center of gravity and the engine to be placed right in front of the axle.
It is still one of a few remaining companies that applies common sense to building vehicles.
In other words, you'll get Audi fun with Toyota reliability.
Old 11-21-16, 03:46 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I never thought about suggesting Subaru, because I need to tow a motorcycle trailer & most Subarus can't tow or only tow very little. They are excellent cars. Their collision avoidance is one of the best in the world. I never heard anything about Toyota owning any of the company (Fuji Heavy Industries), but I think you could get into a certified Subaru much cheaper than a 2016 or 2017 Lexus RX. My pick would be the V-6 Outback loaded. Its going to be similar to a basic RX. I started looking at the certified used RX & found there is a huge jump between 2015 & 2016. The interior of a 2016 is WAY better than a 2015 in my opinion. Gone is the stupid looking shifter & the center dash is easier to navigate. The engine has more power, tranny goes up to 8 speeds, fuel mileage goes up & the infotainment screen also jumps bigger on the 2016.
Old 11-21-16, 04:18 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I never thought about suggesting Subaru, because I need to tow a motorcycle trailer & most Subarus can't tow or only tow very little. They are excellent cars. Their collision avoidance is one of the best in the world. I never heard anything about Toyota owning any of the company (Fuji Heavy Industries), but I think you could get into a certified Subaru much cheaper than a 2016 or 2017 Lexus RX. My pick would be the V-6 Outback loaded. Its going to be similar to a basic RX. I started looking at the certified used RX & found there is a huge jump between 2015 & 2016. The interior of a 2016 is WAY better than a 2015 in my opinion. Gone is the stupid looking shifter & the center dash is easier to navigate. The engine has more power, tranny goes up to 8 speeds, fuel mileage goes up & the infotainment screen also jumps bigger on the 2016.
Unfortunately, Subie is out of the question.
Old 11-21-16, 04:36 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, Subie is out of the question.
Would Leasing be a good option? Or is that just stupid?
Old 11-22-16, 06:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Would Leasing be a good option? Or is that just stupid?
I'd say latter, but that's just me. You're better off buying a car and trading it in, since leasing does exactly the same thing, except you are paying the leasing company fees for doing this for you.
A lot easier to get screwed since it's easier for salespeople to manipulate monthly payments. And you loose flexibility as terms of your vehicle return time and condition.

There may be some exceptions to this rule, say BMW, which is heavily subsidies its leasing program. Audi, on the other hand, does not, which results in higher monthly payments.
Our Lexus depreciates at roughly $5,000/year or $416/month. Leasing it is $650/month. Even with added interest, I'm still much better off owning.
Old 11-22-16, 10:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Ditto on the V6 3.6R Outback. They now have all the features I look for in a Lexus, and then some.
Too bad they're not offering a 7-seat crossover, because that's what I need, and Lexus, in its infinite wisdom, is not building one.

After GM severed ties with Fuji Heavy Industries, Toyota picked up most of those shares.
Until very recently, Subaru in Indiana built Camry for Toyota, along with Legacy and Outback models.
Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (Scion FR-S) were jointly designed by Subaru for Toyota and are built by Subaru too.
Parts on the '15 WRX STi I had, looked a bit too familiar to me.
FJI is to become Subaru Corporation next year.

P.S.
Something tells me 3.6R Outback would be a better towing vehicle than the RX, since it has full-time AWD with RWD bias and does not become FWD at speed drive like the RX.
Of course, 4Runner would be better at it than all of the above and offers full-time AWD in its Limited model. And Limited shares interior bits with the RX.

P.P.S.
Outback is rated for 2,700lbs towing weight with 200lbs tongue.

Last edited by vlad_a; 11-22-16 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-16, 12:36 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Ditto on the V6 3.6R Outback. They now have all the features I look for in a Lexus, and then some.
Too bad they're not offering a 7-seat crossover, because that's what I need, and Lexus, in its infinite wisdom, is not building one.

After GM severed ties with Fuji Heavy Industries, Toyota picked up most of those shares.
Until very recently, Subaru in Indiana built Camry for Toyota, along with Legacy and Outback models.
Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 (Scion FR-S) were jointly designed by Subaru for Toyota and are built by Subaru too.
Parts on the '15 WRX STi I had, looked a bit too familiar to me.
FJI is to become Subaru Corporation next year.

P.S.
Something tells me 3.6R Outback would be a better towing vehicle than the RX, since it has full-time AWD with RWD bias and does not become FWD at speed drive like the RX.
Of course, 4Runner would be better at it than all of the above and offers full-time AWD in its Limited model. And Limited shares interior bits with the RX.

P.P.S.
Outback is rated for 2,700lbs towing weight with 200lbs tongue.
since when are they rwd bias? thats new to me. and the rx is rated to tow 3500lbs.
Old 11-22-16, 01:23 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus114
since when are they rwd bias? thats new to me. and the rx is rated to tow 3500lbs.
Non-CVTs 3.6R used to be 45:55. You might be right, the new ones being 60:40.

Need a tow package to get 3,500lbs rating, otherwise it is 2,200lbs, but RX driving primarily on front wheels makes it less than ideal for this purpose.
Old 11-22-16, 03:09 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default toyota ownership....

Toyota does indeed have a small stake. I believe the Camry and Outback are from the same plant in Illinois.
Old 11-22-16, 08:25 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Subaru would be a nice purpose driven car for certain tasks like going up to the mountains, carrying skis, dealing with bad weather and such. a nice LS or a E/S class and a Subaru would be a good combo for my garage. The RX, for now, does double duty of classy and purposeful.

Last edited by MellonC00; 11-23-16 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-23-16, 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Toyota owns a 16.5% share of Subaru.

Toyota has had a contract for additional Camry production at the Subaru plant in Illinois, but that ends with the 16 model year.
Old 11-24-16, 12:47 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

That's why Audi 's commercial with the catch phrase :

"TRUTH IN ENGINEERING " NO LONGER

LOL

Originally Posted by Leap
Have you actually driven the Q5? I found the seats uncomfortable in the 2011 model, there was no way I was going to buy one. That plus the unreliability and the the lying scandal and I do not even consider Audis or VWs these days.
Old 11-24-16, 10:40 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you checked any independent sources, like Consumer Reports? They rate as follows: The 2013 Q5 was better than previous years, but still only has an "average" reliability rating. By comparison, the Lexus RX achieved the highest reliability rating possible from '08 to '15. From '10 to '15, the Lexus RX achieved the very highest rating possible in ALL AREAS.

A CPO is nothing more than an insurance policy THAT YOU PAY FOR. The dealer is charged around $2000 for the CPO, and passes the price on to you. Besides, the Q5 with a CPO doesn't look so great behind a tow truck...
Old 11-24-16, 07:32 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I thought about a Q5 until my brother in law bought a 2010 with 60k miles on it. He traded his GX 470 for it, because with a 140k miles, it was beginning to need some repairs. With his Audi keys in hand and a fresh car payment, he proceeded to shell out 1000s every month for everything that broke. What an absolute piece of trash. Average reliability my foot, unless average really does mean trash!

Subies are great cars, but I've never got my wife to buy into the idea either, or I'd likely have an Outback in the garage at the moment, instead of the RX, but we love the RX too. I just much prefer the handling and cavernous hatch area.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a '13 Audi Q5 Premium Plus