RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Talk me out of a '13 Audi Q5 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 09:58 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by easye
My wife doesn't really like the Subie... is it a comparable brand to the Lexus?
I am not sure why some folks are mentioning the Outback as an alternative to the RX. The Outback is a crossover, not an SUV. If you want the RX, how could you want the Outback? The Forester is more similar to the RX, and reliability is equal. Price is much less, though the quality of some components, and overall refinement, is not on par with the RX. We almost bought a new Forester before buying our '13 RX. My wife bought a new Forester and drove for it 3 years, before buying an MDX. She was ready to buy a 2016 Forester until she drove the '13 RX. The RX was about $9K less, so had already taken the depreciation hit. It also was far more comfortable and luxurious. I am a big Subaru fan, but they are not the well-refined car that the RX is.

Last edited by 11bravo; 11-25-16 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-25-16, 02:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Your brother in law probably would have faired way better if he kept the Lexus GX470. 140K miles on the GX or any Lexus is nothing. That's assuming all normal maintenance items are done on time. I have confidence in Lexus vehicles to go at least 250K without much issues, if all maintenance are timely done. Can't say the same with Audi's or some of the Euro brands. To some people it is more important to be seen in an Audi versus a Lexus, I guess. CPO Audi really means nothing to me either except for the dealer to try to make the customer feel better. But if the Audi is constantly at the shop or worse, get my wife and kids stranded middle of nowhere. Then even CPO will not really help instantly.........having to wait for a tow truck, rental car, and etc.

Originally Posted by rj4510
I thought about a Q5 until my brother in law bought a 2010 with 60k miles on it. He traded his GX 470 for it, because with a 140k miles, it was beginning to need some repairs. With his Audi keys in hand and a fresh car payment, he proceeded to shell out 1000s every month for everything that broke. What an absolute piece of trash. Average reliability my foot, unless average really does mean trash!

Subies are great cars, but I've never got my wife to buy into the idea either, or I'd likely have an Outback in the garage at the moment, instead of the RX, but we love the RX too. I just much prefer the handling and cavernous hatch area.
Old 11-29-16, 11:49 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
I am not sure why some folks are mentioning the Outback as an alternative to the RX. The Outback is a crossover, not an SUV. If you want the RX, how could you want the Outback? The Forester is more similar to the RX, and reliability is equal. Price is much less, though the quality of some components, and overall refinement, is not on par with the RX. We almost bought a new Forester before buying our '13 RX. My wife bought a new Forester and drove for it 3 years, before buying an MDX. She was ready to buy a 2016 Forester until she drove the '13 RX. The RX was about $9K less, so had already taken the depreciation hit. It also was far more comfortable and luxurious. I am a big Subaru fan, but they are not the well-refined car that the RX is.
Because Toyota invented crossover market with... Lexus RX! It is unibody, created from the Camry mold.
GX and LX are the SUVs in the lineup. Subaru does not build an SUVs.
Outback is based on the Legacy platform, while Forester is Impreza. That makes Outback more upscale and refined.
With features like HIDs and motorized tailgate, it is not that far off from the RX, yet exceeds it when it comes to handling.

I just did a full brake job on our RX and was swearing at Toyota for skimping on rustproofing.
Man, those calipers were a mess. The whole underbody looks like it's 10 years old (granted it will stay this way until it is 10 years old).
Subaru was much better in that regard. You have to clean wrenches from black tar that they sensibly applied to components at the factory.

So while Lexus is indeed more refined, I'm not feeling it looking from under the car.

P.S.
While we're on reliability topic, make sure to lubricate those sliding pins in the calipers. All 4 of mine were stuck and would have needed future replacement, have I not run into this problem with my 'ol IS300.
Old 11-29-16, 11:56 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The BEST slide pin grease (in my opinion) is the Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant. >>> https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...s-lubricant-2/

It's extremely high temperature rating makes it really last!
Old 11-29-16, 04:04 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Vlad, while you are certainly correct from an engineering standpoint, the general public, and almost every major automotive publication in the nation, considers the RX an SUV, and the Outback a crossover. My comment regarded "folks", not engineers. I appreciate your comment, and agree with your technical assessment. However, the general public determines a vehicle by shape and utility. Sports car, coupe, sedan, performance car, hybrid, SUV (small and large), and truck, and all are pretty much visual in classification.

Interestingly, the EPA does not even have an SUV class, nor a crossover. Almost all cars are two seaters, station wagons, or grouped by size.

Just my opinion, though.

Last edited by 11bravo; 11-29-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 07:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Vlad, while you are certainly correct from an engineering standpoint, the general public, and almost every major automotive publication in the nation, considers the RX an SUV, and the Outback a crossover. My comment regarded "folks", not engineers. I appreciate your comment, and agree with your technical assessment. However, the general public determines a vehicle by shape and utility. Sports car, coupe, sedan, performance car, hybrid, SUV (small and large), and truck, and all are pretty much visual in classification.

Interestingly, the EPA does not even have an SUV class, nor a crossover. Almost all cars are two seaters, station wagons, or grouped by size.

Just my opinion, though.
I wouldn't argue about the general public. Many call RX a Truck. Being capable to carry large cargo does qualify it for that category.
And yes, you are right, people do call crossovers an SUV based purely on the perceived shape. And you are dead-on on all of the above really being wagons.

My hat goes off to Toyota for reshaping the SUV market with a crossover offering and being the first ones at the starting line, whatever the name may be, or was at the time.
The future of the real [old school] SUVs is looking rather bleak. Most companies have abandoned ship and slapped old SUV badges on crossovers, not helping with the above categories.
So now there's a big question mark around the two dinosaurs still sticking around, Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX460.
And nowhere is it more obvious where the crossover ends and an SUV starts as between the Highlander and the 4Runner.
We all know 4Runner is set to loose based on exactly what you described. If Highlander appeals to the public as an SUV, then what is 4Runner's role the market segment?
I'm sure Toyota execs are scratching their heads on that one and 4Runner showing very strong sales is not helping their dilemma.
The outcome will dictate whether a longer RX(L) replaces aging GX in the lineup.
Old 11-30-16, 10:14 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the main reason the Subaru was brought up was for a price comparison between a used RX and a new Outback. I wouldn't put them in the same category together, but they are fairly similar in reliability & versatility. I don't care for the Forester personally & would choose the Outback for sure, but that's me.
Old 11-30-16, 01:31 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Xlnt comments, Vlad. I, too, wonder where the market is going. Nobody, not anybody, would have been able to predict 600-700 horsepower muscle cars being very popular in the new millennium (I certainly like them). I have daily-driven either a Tahoe or Silverado constantly since 1997. Twenty years ago, I thought that in 20 years, every person would be driving a jelly bean or a pickup, and that certainly hasn't happened. I do think that crossovers and smaller SUV's (defined by size, not platform) appeal to a huge segment, and may dominate the market for several more decades. I probably won't be here to see any astonishing changes...I will keep driving my truck, unless I buy a Corvette....
Old 11-30-16, 01:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I thought about a Q5 until my brother in law bought a 2010 with 60k miles on it. He traded his GX 470 for it, because with a 140k miles, it was beginning to need some repairs. With his Audi keys in hand and a fresh car payment, he proceeded to shell out 1000s every month for everything that broke. What an absolute piece of trash. Average reliability my foot, unless average really does mean trash!

Subies are great cars, but I've never got my wife to buy into the idea either, or I'd likely have an Outback in the garage at the moment, instead of the RX, but we love the RX too. I just much prefer the handling and cavernous hatch area.
I'm not trying to sell Audi's here just a different experience. We bought a 2013 Q5, our first Audi, and drove it for nearly 4 years with zero issues. Just routine maintenance and a couple of TSB's that I wasn't aware of which they did when in for service. Based on this experience we bought a 2016 A6 same experience so far (only 6 months though). I buy my cars and keep them through the factory warranty period (that includes our Lexus cars) so can't comment on the long term.
Old 11-30-16, 09:37 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm not trying to sell Audi's here just a different experience. We bought a 2013 Q5, our first Audi, and drove it for nearly 4 years with zero issues. Just routine maintenance and a couple of TSB's that I wasn't aware of which they did when in for service. Based on this experience we bought a 2016 A6 same experience so far (only 6 months though). I buy my cars and keep them through the factory warranty period (that includes our Lexus cars) so can't comment on the long term.
That is unfortunately when things go south...
Old 12-01-16, 10:56 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

That is unfortunately when things go south...
I would consider 36 months - 48 months or more "long term", but that's my idea. My honest opinion is anything more than 1 year could be considered long term. I had an Acura & kept it for close to 10 yrs. It was a great, reliable car, despite a transmission recall replacement. I see a lot of the same parts & designs in the Lexus as I did in the Acura & hope it does well past 4 or 5 years. I really enjoy driving my RX 450h, despite what some critics claim as a "mush-mobile". I sometimes look for an excuse to get in & drive it.
Old 12-01-16, 10:07 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I would consider 36 months - 48 months or more "long term", but that's my idea. My honest opinion is anything more than 1 year could be considered long term. I had an Acura & kept it for close to 10 yrs. It was a great, reliable car, despite a transmission recall replacement. I see a lot of the same parts & designs in the Lexus as I did in the Acura & hope it does well past 4 or 5 years. I really enjoy driving my RX 450h, despite what some critics claim as a "mush-mobile". I sometimes look for an excuse to get in & drive it.
You won't find a bigger BMW fan on this forum, but I still can't do more than one at a time. Far a DD, Lexus all the way. For fun BMW, but best to set some aside for maintenance and repairs. The sad thing about Audi is they don't really drive as luxuriously as Lexus, nowhere as sporty as a Bimmer. To top things off Audi parts and service model are insane by comparison. Very few if any parts can be purchased individually with Audi. Break a clip on your door handle, no problem, your new door handle assembly awaits. HVAC fan squeaks, no problem, your complete HVAC assembly awaits. There isn't a screw that isn't sold as a whole assembly. This makes the car impossible to maintain after the warranty period. I would have to agree, owning an Audi 5 years is long term. The pain and suffering has to end, before it begins. That's a huge contrast to driving my last Lexus 13 years. To each his own...
Old 12-02-16, 10:43 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

You won't find a bigger BMW fan on this forum, but I still can't do more than one at a time. Far a DD, Lexus all the way. For fun BMW, but best to set some aside for maintenance and repairs. The sad thing about Audi is they don't really drive as luxuriously as Lexus, nowhere as sporty as a Bimmer. To top things off Audi parts and service model are insane by comparison. Very few if any parts can be purchased individually with Audi. Break a clip on your door handle, no problem, your new door handle assembly awaits. HVAC fan squeaks, no problem, your complete HVAC assembly awaits. There isn't a screw that isn't sold as a whole assembly. This makes the car impossible to maintain after the warranty period. I would have to agree, owning an Audi 5 years is long term. The pain and suffering has to end, before it begins. That's a huge contrast to driving my last Lexus 13 years. To each his own...
I agree, BMWs are fun to drive. Just pick one, any one & it's fun. Some Audis are that way, some are not. Most are fun, but I haven't driven even half their lineup. I really liked the BMW X series, but they nickel & dime you to death! I'm surprised bumpers don't cost extra. In shopping the BMW, by the time I got a decent amount of equipment optioned out, I was way past the cost of a nicely equipped Lexus. The dealer was really flaky also & I didn't get a warm fuzzy from anyone there. They reminded me of a sea of sharks & I got the feeling that customer service was also a costly option. Other BMW dealers were pretty nice. A lot depends on the ownership of the dealer. A lemon attorney told me that he has only had one case against Lexus & it was a weird case that he will probably never see again. To me, that spoke volumes. Mostly that Lexus is going to stand behind their vehicle so it never gets to the lemon status.
Old 12-02-16, 11:33 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I'm the opposite way, Audi for a DD and Lexus as a family hauler. I need a fun car to get me to work and Lexus doesn't have one in its lineup that would fit my needs.
I would disagree on Audi being less luxurious than a Lexus. Yes, it does not ride as plush, but it handles much better and offers a very serene cabin.
And my S4 will beat most beemers in the sport category.

You must be an old-time BMW fan because the company has gone mainstream. Cost-cutting everywhere. Interiors that can barely compete with a Corolla.
Never mind engineering that is simply not there. I like what BMW used to stand for, but don't get me started on what is wrong with the brand now.
Old 12-03-16, 08:04 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I can walk into any BMW dealer and offer to pay cash MSRP for a 5-series on the condition that they install a block heater and replace those garbage run-flat tires with actual tires.
They won't.
That's enough to turn me off of the entire brand when there are reasonable competitors in the same market.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a '13 Audi Q5 Premium Plus