RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to quickly find a destination on Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 08:23 PM
burrben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to quickly find a destination on Nav

Hi, all. Just got a 2015 RX350 and loving it. But I need to use the nav quicker.

I had to pickup food at SUMO SUSHI. I can get directions on my phone via Waze in about 20sec using voice search.

How can I use the Nav Voice commands to do this?

I was able to say FIND NEARBY SUSHI, and it did find places, but not SUMO SUSHI since it was 10mi away?

I've searched and searched and can't find the answer. I don't have, and will not pay for the Enform person on the phone. I did update the APPS, but they are slow to load.
Old 12-19-16, 09:43 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I think that the dominant answer will be that the navigation pretty much sucks. I've tried on my most patient days to find something valuable about it and it makes me want to smash it with a landscape rake.
Sorry.
Old 12-20-16, 05:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Do you have Destination Search set up on Enform? That's what I use. Via voice commands:

"Launch Destination Search"

"Find Sumo Sushi"

You can also try "find nearby Sumo Sushi" via voice from home, but my best results have been with Destination Search.
The following users liked this post:
burrben (12-20-16)
Old 12-20-16, 06:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Pardon? Pardon? Pardon?
ColAngus (12-20-16)
Old 12-20-16, 06:27 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

I, too, have found it to be excessively frustrating. It won;t even let me type in a name I know exists when the places aren't already in it's memory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my conclusion is that it is in no way a dynamic tool and only functions off what was last downloaded into the hard drive.

The only uses I have for the Nav is limited to either a wide angle view on along road trip to see towns up ahead, close in views on a larger display when reaching destination points in congested cities, and the bread crumb trail can be convenient.
Old 12-20-16, 10:44 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Google Maps:
Step 1. Speak into search screen - Miramontez Elementary School
Step 2. Pick the destination from various similar sounding schools nearby.
Step 3: Press the start button.

Lexus NAV:
Step 1: Press Menu button on joy stick or that square contraception that wastes space in the center console area
Step 2: Press points of interest
Step 3. Select to search by name.
Step 4. Type in Name
Step 5. Type sort order to display the ones nearby first - not the ones that are 2000 miles away
Step 6. Choose name.
step 7: hit go
Step 8: hit OK.
Step 9: answer call from Mrs. MellonC who already got there using Google Maps telling me to stop messing around and get there ASAP.
Step: 10 insist on using Lexus technology while cursing at the lawyers who built in confirm and double confirmation screens.
Step 11: give up and turn off the NAV.
vlad_a (12-20-16)
Old 12-20-16, 11:21 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

JDR76 is correct, Download Lexus Enform App Suite (free forever) and Sign In. Name/Email/Password/VIN
Password does not need to be hypersecure, "Lexus2015" will suffice.
First time only you will be directed to download the most recent info. Hint: turn off WiFi
and let it download through 3G/4G connection. App must run in phone ever after.
Press the talk button and say "Launch Destination Search" or tap Menu/Apps/App Suite
Press talk and say the name and town. Go to or Mark for future use.

It is as up to date as your phone is and voice recognition depends on your phone as well.
Did we mention that it is free forever except for data plan minutes?
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
burrben (12-20-16), JDR76 (12-20-16)
Old 12-20-16, 11:21 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Google Maps:
Step 1. Speak into search screen - Miramontez Elementary School
Step 2. Pick the destination from various similar sounding schools nearby.
Step 3: Press the start button.

Lexus NAV:
Step 1: Press Menu button on joy stick or that square contraception that wastes space in the center console area
Step 2: Press points of interest
Step 3. Select to search by name.
Step 4. Type in Name
Step 5. Type sort order to display the ones nearby first - not the ones that are 2000 miles away
Step 6. Choose name.
step 7: hit go
Step 8: hit OK.
Step 9: answer call from Mrs. MellonC who already got there using Google Maps telling me to stop messing around and get there ASAP.
Step: 10 insist on using Lexus technology while cursing at the lawyers who built in confirm and double confirmation screens.
Step 11: give up and turn off the NAV.
^Exactly.
Plus, on the next generation, they seem to have eliminated the "thumb mouse buttons" on the side and you have to press that paddle down to [click]. That action only causes you to click the thing beside what you intended to about 70% of the time, so add 5 steps to the above list for "rage-filled corrections".
Old 12-20-16, 03:10 PM
burrben
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU! I'm going to try this tonight. I do have the Lexus Enform app running on my phone, and I did update the APPS in the car.

I know it's impossible to be as good as Waze is for long trips as Waze can auto-route you around accidents, but since it's there I'd like to try and use it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do you have Destination Search set up on Enform? That's what I use. Via voice commands:

"Launch Destination Search"

"Find Sumo Sushi"

You can also try "find nearby Sumo Sushi" via voice from home, but my best results have been with Destination Search.
Old 12-20-16, 07:12 PM
burrben
Driver School Candidate

Well, my 2015 Lexus RX doesn't have the LAUNCH command in the voice recognition. If I launch the Destination Search manually, then click the microphone and say "SUMO SUSHI", it does find it.

It seems like the 3rd gen doesn't have LAUNCH as a command, but the 4th gen does have it. OR maybe my car needs to be updated?

Do any of you with a 3rd gen, have LAUNCH as a command after you hit the voice button?
Old 12-20-16, 09:30 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by burrben
Well, my 2015 Lexus RX doesn't have the LAUNCH command in the voice recognition. If I launch the Destination Search manually, then click the microphone and say "SUMO SUSHI", it does find it.

It seems like the 3rd gen doesn't have LAUNCH as a command, but the 4th gen does have it. OR maybe my car needs to be updated?

Do any of you with a 3rd gen, have LAUNCH as a command after you hit the voice button?
The dude said "speak the words [LAUNCH DESTINATION SEARCH]" but it sounds like you're looking for a menu command.
Did you try saying those words?
Old 12-21-16, 07:08 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

OP, I believe 2014+ came with Siri Eyes Free feature. This may be a great band-aid solution that many auto-manufacturers implemented.
Old 12-21-16, 07:26 AM
burrben
Driver School Candidate

Yes I spoke the words, "LAUNCH DESTINATION ASSIST". And it said "COMMAND NOT RECOGNIZED"

Then I looked at the list of commands on the screen and LAUNCH wasn't one of them.

On this lexus blog, you can see that LAUNCH is a command listed, but I'm thinking that it's not in the 2015 models, or that my Nav system needs to be updated.

Can anyone with a 2015 or earlier check to see if their voice recognition system does recognize the launch command??
Old 12-21-16, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My apologies if "Launch" is not included. Seems I've already forgotten the commands on our RX, which we no longer have. "Launch" works on my GS and my Highlander, but apparently not on the RX.
Old 12-21-16, 10:59 AM
burrben
Driver School Candidate

LAUNCH is a valid command on the 2016 RX350 from what I can tell, it's just not on MY 2015 RX350. I'm hoping some other 2015 RX350 owner can confirm or not.

Quick Reply: How to quickly find a destination on Nav