RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Reliability of 2010 and newer, upgrade or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 07:20 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Reliability of 2010 and newer, upgrade or no?

Currently I have a 2007 RX350 nearing 110,000 miles and for a while I have been contemplating on upgrading to something else. I looked at the Acura MDX but they seem to have oil burning issues so I came back to Lexus RX 2010 or newer models.

For some reason I am paranoid about the reliability of this 2007 RX350. It has the power steering leak going on, a reliable mechanic of mine said I should replace the water pump soon and would not drive long distance on it, and recently little annoying sounds have popped up, vibrating wires behind the panels in front and something rattling in the back which is driving me crazy. On top of that struts are leaking a bit, brakes need to be replaced soon, and spark plugs probably need to be replaced (This is just maintenance I know). Overall I like the car, but something just has be questioning its reliability and has me a bit uneasy about it.

I was thinking of getting a new model RX and was wondering if many of these issues were fixed? I know they went to electric steering and the rear struts are known to leak on the 2010+ models, I plan to swap them out for Monroe or KYB. I know some of this is just maintenance on a car but I can't help think that if I just trade it in instead of getting all this work done I'll be better off just getting a RX with less mileage.
Old 12-20-16, 08:06 AM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had a 2010 and recently a 2011 RX 450H version. I prefer the RX's that are manufactured in Japan. If the VIN # starts with a J it is made in Japan, a 2 indicates it was made in Canada. The 450's are made in Japan, most 350' are made in Canada. Before switching over to Lexus I had various Honda vehicles five of which were made in Japan and an MDX that was made in Canada. The fit and finish of the vehicle made in Canada, in my experience, came up short in terms of fit and finish. The mechanical functions have worked fine in all the vehicles.

The 2010 and 2011, in my opinion, have problems with leaking rear shocks but will provide you with the best bang for your dollar. Both the RX's I have purchased have had the rear shocks replaced by the prior owners. If you check the Consumer Reports reliability ratings on the RX you will see the RX is one of the highest rated vehicles. Suspension was one area that came up below standard in the 2011 version. The navigation system in the 2010/11 are also a little weak, in my opinion, and the updates are cumbersome and expensive as they require dealer intervention.

If your budget allows, and depending on your styling preference the 2013 model adds LED running lights and a few other updates as well.

If you are patient and take your time looking for a private party sale you will pay a lower price (no tax or dealer fees). If you want more assurance of reliability, pay a little more and get a pre-certified RX. I find Clearbook to provide the closest pricing but actually use it with KBB to determine a fair value. I would shoot for 55% of the original MSRP. You can get a clear view of prior service by entering your potential RX's VIN in the Lexus Driver's website and adding the prospective vehicle to your vehicles.

I really like the RX because it is buttery smooth, very quiet, very safe and comfortable. It is also a Toyota which equates to being very well built and easy to maintain. That is what makes it one of the best selling luxury SUVs.
Old 12-20-16, 09:35 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Only get ones manufactured from April 2011. Oil line was changed to metal housing.
Old 12-20-16, 10:29 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

2013 models, as I understand, don't have the leaky rear shocks problem.
Old 12-21-16, 06:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The leaky rear shocks are common to several Lexus vehicles, including the ES350. I think it is because they are all OEM sourced from Tokico. However, the OEM Tokico ones are quite cheap, about $40 each on the internet, and labor wise also cheap to replace, even if paying a mechanic not at a Lexus dealer. It is about an hour labor charge for a mechanic.
The KYB rear shocks cost more, but are alleged to have a softer ride. Monroe does not make a rear shock for the RX, only the front strut because it is the same as the Highlander up there and is a cross reference fit.
Old 12-21-16, 07:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The leaky rear shocks are common to several Lexus vehicles, including the ES350. I think it is because they are all OEM sourced from Tokico. However, the OEM Tokico ones are quite cheap, about $40 each on the internet, and labor wise also cheap to replace, even if paying a mechanic not at a Lexus dealer. It is about an hour labor charge for a mechanic.
The KYB rear shocks cost more, but are alleged to have a softer ride. Monroe does not make a rear shock for the RX, only the front strut because it is the same as the Highlander up there and is a cross reference fit.

absolutely correct my friend. i replaced a perfectly good pair of oem ( tokico) rear shocks because i didnt like the stiffer ride back there. (and mine isn't even the f sport) and so far could not be happier.
Old 12-21-16, 11:49 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. I drove a highlander recently and honestly was not impressed. I think I'm gonna have to do with a newer RX.
Old 12-22-16, 09:20 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

aachowan,

All vehicles have problem areas, so the best solution is to find a vehicle that has the least significant problem areas. If you could buy a vehicle knowing that the only problem which generally requires attention are the rear shocks, you would do that, wouldn't you?

Every auto publication rates the 3rd gen RX very highly, often at the top of the class. My wife and I have had two MDX's, and will not have another. They did not have inherent trouble spots, but did not "age well" at all. If you purchase a 2010 or newer RX, whether built in Canada or Japan, you will likely have a very good experience. Avoiding vehicles with much repair history, or more than 1 owner per two years of age, is a good idea too (info verified by Carfax and/or autocheck). Side note: "Repairs" and " "Maintenance" are distinctly different. Lots of repairs = bad....lots of maintenance = good.

Good luck!

Last edited by 11bravo; 12-22-16 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-25-16, 04:58 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 11bravo
aachowan,

All vehicles have problem areas, so the best solution is to find a vehicle that has the least significant problem areas. If you could buy a vehicle knowing that the only problem which generally requires attention are the rear shocks, you would do that, wouldn't you?

Every auto publication rates the 3rd gen RX very highly, often at the top of the class. My wife and I have had two MDX's, and will not have another. They did not have inherent trouble spots, but did not "age well" at all. If you purchase a 2010 or newer RX, whether built in Canada or Japan, you will likely have a very good experience. Avoiding vehicles with much repair history, or more than 1 owner per two years of age, is a good idea too (info verified by Carfax and/or autocheck). Side note: "Repairs" and " "Maintenance" are distinctly different. Lots of repairs = bad....lots of maintenance = good.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to avoid the MDX. I found some 2010+ models and looking at possibly test driving on soon. What you said makes sense, I just want to not worry about long term reliability or maintenance for a while. I like the current RX I have but I feel like for once I want a car that has less than 100k miles on it.