RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can magnetic block heater be attached anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 12:15 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can magnetic block heater be attached anywhere?

2013 RX350 is an authorized emergencyehicle used for emergent transport of blood, surgical instruments, implant parts, emergency drugs, antivenins, antitoxins, etc.
The 200-Watt magnetic block heater is stuck to the oil pan. A bed sheet covers the hood and grill.
Often departing between midnight and 0400, the temperature gauge istill below C in the unheated garage.

Any other places theater can be attached? Hate pushing the engine before it can warm up.

Thank you.

Last edited by RobertGift; 12-20-16 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 01:29 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

The oil pan is the best place as you want it to warm up your oil so it flows faster in the cold. I think that really is the only place you can attach it or would want to attach it to maximize warming the oil. I think that may be the only magnetic area as the block may not be magnetic or have any place it would fit and do any good at heating the oil. The block heater likely would be less effective placed anywhere else. It is not going to warm up your engine, just the oil.

You may want to also get an oil dipstick heater and or an engine blanket heater or place a heating pad over the motor or hood. .
Old 12-20-16, 03:12 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree. Ideally, you want to heat the coolant/antifreeze, but the oil will have to do. It's better than nothing and should make a reasonable difference.
Using synthetic will help... Oh, wait. These things require 0w20 don't they... Never mind.
Old 12-20-16, 09:41 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Thank you. Wish it would also heat the Al engine block. Probably does some but the needle is always below C. Mobil 1 5-quart 0W-20 purchased at Walmart
In theater handle I drilled a hole so a rope can pull it off the oil pan. First I unplug and then pull the rope which is draped over the door handle so wife or I do not forget.
Should I shine a spotlight up against the transmission pan?
Old 12-21-16, 01:42 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

How cold is it outside that you're so concerned about this?
Old 12-21-16, 03:42 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Originally Posted by ColAngus
How cold is it outside that you're so concerned about this?
Unknown how low the garage temperature gets. Facing the garage door the SUV is exposed to lower temperatures.
The problem is getting up to 70 mph or greater soon after starting. Hate to do that to a cold engine.
When a hospital calls, it would be nice if the engine could be remotely started from the bedroom and warming while I am getting dressed. (A hose would take exhaust outside)
Other than for those where a cold vehicle can be a health issue, that would be the ONE time a remote starter is justified.
Old 12-21-16, 06:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertGift
Unknown how low the garage temperature gets. Facing the garage door the SUV is exposed to lower temperatures.
The problem is getting up to 70 mph or greater soon after starting. Hate to do that to a cold engine.
When a hospital calls, it would be nice if the engine could be remotely started from the bedroom and warming while I am getting dressed. (A hose would take exhaust outside)
Other than for those where a cold vehicle can be a health issue, that would be the ONE time a remote starter is justified.
Why not put a remote start in? I had my IS300 wired to also open the garage door upon remote-starting.
Old 12-21-16, 07:44 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Why not put a remote start in? I had my IS300 wired to also open the garage door upon remote-starting.
What is the co$t of a remote starter?

Years ago I had fun making a relay timer from a bunch of electronic parts. When the cell phone rings, it turns on a red light in the bedroom and one in the laundry room for 180 seconds.
Red lets us see while allowing our eyes to remain adjusted to the dark.
It could also open the garage door and close it in 300 seconds but I never hooked that part up. Whentering the garage I press the garage door button. By the time I unplug and pull theater off, the door is open.
A traffic signal changes from red to green when the lightbar will clear the garage door. Had to replace its regular light bulbs with 7.5-Watt bulbs.
Old 12-21-16, 07:56 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

^This. It sounds like a reasonable solution and it lets you get in and go - which you should be doing, rather than unplugging a block heater.

It's in a garage!?? think you may be overreacting, then. My unheated, attached garage maintains 2-5°C when it's -22°C outside, (~40°F when -8°F outside). That's not that cold, really. Would I want to redline it at full throttle the instant I got it out of my driveway? No; but, I wouldn't want to do that on the hottest day with a cold engine, either. That's just kind of the life of an "ambulance"...
How about getting a garage heater with a thermostat?
Old 12-21-16, 08:05 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

What is the co$t of a remote starter?

Years ago I had fun making a relay timer from a bunch of electronic parts. When the cell phone rings, it turns on a red light in the bedroom and one in the laundry room for 180 seconds.
Red lets us see while allowing our eyes to remain adjusted to the dark.
It could also open the garage door and close it in 300 seconds but I never hooked that part up. Whentering the garage I press the garage door button. By the time I unplug and pull theater off, the door is open.
A traffic signal changes from red to green when the lightbar will clear the garage door. Had to replace its regular light bulbs with 7.5-Watt bulbs.
Depends on how much work you're willing to do yourself and how advanced it is. I'd say anywhere between $55 and $600.
I have an FLCan module laying around that I plan on testing out in the RX. It might be fully-capable of basic remote start functionality.
There is an OEM solution, but that's $200+ for the module. Not sure if the dealer needs to program-in the module after the install.
It utilizes OEM remote, so you have to be in the close proximity to operate the RS. It may work well in your case, though.
There's also an option to pay Lexus for RES+, which will send data packets over cellular towers to control your vehicle.
There's been a few threads here on this topic.

A reputable auto install shop may come up with a system that works well for you. Stay away from mainstream places like Best Buy. They have do have some good techs, but there are many bad apples.
Old 12-21-16, 09:58 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you can get an exhaust fan installed for the garage? We have one wired to a motion sensor for the same purpose of getting rid of car exhaust. You could probably do the same to a switch or timer, start that when you remote start the car.
Old 12-21-16, 01:47 PM
RobertGift
Driver

A reputable auto install shop may come up with a system that works well for you. Stay away from mainstream places like Best Buy. They have do have some good techs, but there are many bad apples.
Thank you. I would do it myself. Have doneverything else myself.
Unless something for $55 works, I'll just warm thengine withe magnetic heater and maybe a 100-Watt outdoor floodlamp aimed up. (Neighbors will wonder why the garage is always lit!)

I never approach red line, even if hot. Engine starts acting like it is missing at 113 mph. Surprisingly the SUV exceeds 113 when descending a grade with engine assisting (not missing)!
Tire "U" rates to 124 mph.
Old 12-21-16, 01:56 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

You could get an oil filled electric portable baseboard heater and slide it under or next to the car. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenhea...500T/205164444
Old 12-21-16, 02:33 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Originally Posted by ThChinaman
Maybe you can get an exhaust fan installed for the garage? We have one wired to a motion sensor for the same purpose of getting rid of car exhaust. You could probably do the same to a switch or timer, start that when you remote start the car.
I'd rather attach a hose which conducts the exhaust outside. Then no filling the garage with fumes. (I have installed timers on the bathroom vent fans. Nice not to have to remember to turn them off or get up and turn them off!)
Old 12-21-16, 02:37 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You could get an oil filled electric portable baseboard heater and slide it under or next to the car. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fahrenhea...500T/205164444
Thank you. Good idea! Buthe floodlamps which we already have (replaced by LED floodlamps) would do the same just as well while providing light!
Incandescent lamp is 99% heat and 1% light?

When I get home at 0430, I am often so tired that I wish I could just plug theater in and not have to get down on the wet garage floor to attach it.
Makes me want to replace the magnetic heater with several outdoor flood lamps facing vertically!

Last edited by RobertGift; 12-21-16 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Can magnetic block heater be attached anywhere?