RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

And then it snowed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 02:51 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default And then it snowed!

It rained all day yesterday and snowed about 5 inched at my house overnight.

My 2013 RX was excellent (w/19", new all seasons) and handled the wet stuff easily.
I had to go out early to get gas for my snow blower...At the 1st station, the pumps were actually frozen beyond use...
Got my RX in August and was curious how it did in the snow...
Old 01-06-17, 07:17 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer777
It rained all day yesterday and snowed about 5 inched at my house overnight.

My 2013 RX was excellent (w/19", new all seasons) and handled the wet stuff easily.
I had to go out early to get gas for my snow blower...At the 1st station, the pumps were actually frozen beyond use...
Got my RX in August and was curious how it did in the snow...
It snowed 5" in Reno, Nevada?!?!?? Wow, that's odd!
How could gas pumps possibly freeze beyond use? That's a lot more odd. I've never heard of such a thing. I'm in a much colder place, but I can't picture what kind of winterization gas pumps would have in a colder climate that you wouldn't have.
All Seasons handle wet snow pretty well and the RX350 tends to handle very well in slippery conditions. I also like that its nanny-aids don't kick in prematurely. If you ever end up living in a very snowy place, you'll still want some dedicated winter tires. They are such a huge step above.
Old 01-06-17, 07:44 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Default It happens!

Originally Posted by ColAngus
It snowed 5" in Reno, Nevada?!?!?? Wow, that's odd!
How could gas pumps possibly freeze beyond use? That's a lot more odd. I've never heard of such a thing. I'm in a much colder place, but I can't picture what kind of winterization gas pumps would have in a colder climate that you wouldn't have.
All Seasons handle wet snow pretty well and the RX350 tends to handle very well in slippery conditions. I also like that its nanny-aids don't kick in prematurely. If you ever end up living in a very snowy place, you'll still want some dedicated winter tires. They are such a huge step above.
I live about 500 ft above the valley floor and I have seen seasons where Reno gets a ton of snow (That's why I own a snow blower)...last five years=drought!
Remember I mentioned the heavy rain preceding the snow...It froze quickly and this station faced North and was plastered! BTW: These pumps were the new style but what actually pumps the fuel could be older..whatever, it was an Arco station and was back in action in about an hour.
Old 01-06-17, 07:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I live in Calgary Alberta. Never heard or saw gas station couldn't pump gas except power failure.
Old 01-07-17, 01:10 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Probably that Arco gas station had some cheap gas in its tanks with just enough water and got frozen?

I also had experienced in some 10 F degree cold where a gas station pumps were pumping very slowly, literally just dripping along. The workers had to just lay the pump handles down on the floor and let it be for 10 minutes and all went back to normal.

Originally Posted by Buzzer777
I live about 500 ft above the valley floor and I have seen seasons where Reno gets a ton of snow (That's why I own a snow blower)...last five years=drought!
Remember I mentioned the heavy rain preceding the snow...It froze quickly and this station faced North and was plastered! BTW: These pumps were the new style but what actually pumps the fuel could be older..whatever, it was an Arco station and was back in action in about an hour.
Old 01-07-17, 05:59 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Default Pretty much what happened

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Probably that Arco gas station had some cheap gas in its tanks with just enough water and got frozen?

I also had experienced in some 10 F degree cold where a gas station pumps were pumping very slowly, literally just dripping along. The workers had to just lay the pump handles down on the floor and let it be for 10 minutes and all went back to normal.
I do not think it was watered gas as this is a very high volume station, but the VERY slow dripping of gas from the pump is what happened on the three pumps that people were trying to use. The poor attendant hardly spoke English, and was in a panic....BTW, temps had gone from about 40 d F to about 15...like really fast...
Round 2 begins today! Snow this AM (SAT) followed by about 3 days of rain...forecast is for about 3" of rain in the valley and about 10-12" in the High Sierra...Will destroy our snow pack..................,
Old 01-09-17, 06:15 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

We were supposed to get 1-2 inches of snow on Sat, well we rec'd 6 to 8 inches ..the RX handled the snow with no problem. We are heading into our third winter with the RX, and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised on how well it does in the snow..
Old 01-09-17, 07:48 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

We got nothing but sleet and freezing mist on Friday with a little more on Saturday night. Did not go anywhere. This is such an anomoly for us here in B'ham that everything just shuts down anyway, so there was nothing to gain by going anywhere. Besides, FWD, AWD, 4WD... their all virtually uncontrollable on ice-laden roadways.
Old 01-09-17, 11:33 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Default You Be Lucky!

Originally Posted by F250
We got nothing but sleet and freezing mist on Friday with a little more on Saturday night. Did not go anywhere. This is such an anomoly for us here in B'ham that everything just shuts down anyway, so there was nothing to gain by going anywhere. Besides, FWD, AWD, 4WD... their all virtually uncontrollable on ice-laden roadways.
Consider yourself lucky! We get something called black ice...You can't see it until it is too late!

We are going to get it again...rained about 3 inches and is turning colder...Snow storm coming again will make driving a mess...I-80 west still closed due to a mudslide!!!!