RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Camper Mode in RX 350 (2010+)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 10:46 PM
aktionman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Old thread but was looking up camping and the RX350 and surprised that so many people on here looking down on sleeping in the back of the RX. Can't tell but possibly a generational issue.

Just last weekend my wife and I did a roadtrip and stayed in campsites and used the back cargo area (with seats folded down) to sleep.
We had sleeping pads and our sleeping bags.

Our cooler and storage bins, we were able to slot into the the space between the front seat and back folded down seats. The front seats did need to be pushed forward all the way.
We fashioned black out window screens out of fleece lined cardboard/reflectix. Can find instructions all over youtube. We used a travel towel strung across behind the front driver/passenger seats to create a privacy curtain.

It was one of our best camping trips yet!
The following 3 users liked this post by aktionman:
sci5 (05-18-22), SJM (08-30-21), wahaus (03-28-24)
Old 12-03-20, 05:33 PM
Andek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I am thinking to do in my RX400h. By the looks of it, there is enough space there for a couple, just need to fill in the space between the front and the back seat woth bags, cooler etc. and put a mat on top.
The following users liked this post:
aktc2012 (03-25-21)
Old 12-03-20, 10:37 PM
aktionman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can pick up some cheap mosquito netting for your windows to allow you to keep them open and let condensation out. I also recommend taking a look at those window wind deflectors so you open the windows partly when its wet outside.
Have fun!
Old 12-05-20, 10:36 AM
coljaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it’s great! Just throw a 2-3” memory foam mattress topper down in the back, twin or full, and then bags etc up front and you’re good to go! A seller on eBay also sells custom fit reflectors for all the windows which really help with insulation and privacy when sleeping, would highly recommend as they aren’t too expensive!
Old 03-25-21, 06:21 PM
aktc2012
Driver School Candidate

Default Me too

Originally Posted by Andek
That's exactly what I am thinking to do in my RX400h. By the looks of it, there is enough space there for a couple, just need to fill in the space between the front and the back seat woth bags, cooler etc. and put a mat on top.
Heading off this weekend to Flinders Ranges, South Australia for nine nights car camping my RX450H 2010. Should be a hoot.
Might be a chilly though. Has anyone done the leaving the car in ready mode and the heater on? Like the Prius campers do?
couchinthesun (07-11-24)
Old 03-25-21, 08:52 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Vents to cool the traction battery are at the feet level in the back. If you are not running [charging/discharging traction battery, make sure the vent holes are not blocked.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-26-21 at 08:10 PM. Reason: is -> are
SJM (08-30-21)
Old 03-26-21, 05:54 AM
aktc2012
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Vents to cool the traction battery is at the feet level in the back. If you are not running [charging/discharging traction battery, make sure the vent holes are not blocked.

Salim
thank you Salim, I had forgotten about those vents when I was thinking about what to stow where. I'll be sure to leave a gap. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-22, 12:20 PM
FJ40RX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX350 Camping - Love It!

I'll apologize for the unhelpful posts poo-pooing sleeping in an RX350. Don't understand people who post those kinds of stupid comments. You asked a good question and here's my hopefully helpful answer to it.
I'm on my second RX350 and have been car camping in them for years. Sleeping bag, one-burner propane stove, little cooler, 5 gal water. Heaven. A few coast-to-coast trips and a couple border-to-border trips so far with many, many 800 mile weekend get-aways in there, too. Sometimes with another person. Sometimes just myself. I think 22 days has been the longest so far. A couple years ago, completely took out the back seats and temporarily installed a plywood platform in the space, level with the cargo area. Really increased the usable room. It's been so good, i've left the setup in essentially permanently.

That might be too much of a project for most, but prior to this, when i just folded the rear seat forward, what i have found to be VERY useful to have car camping are about four or six of the mats sold for flooring in children's play areas (see pix). Got mine at Sam's Club. They interlock and stack, and a couple of them two-high over the cargo area when you fold the rear seats forward makes that angle over the back seats much less noticeable. I take them out to sit on, or kneel on when cooking on the ground, and if i decide on maybe a tent for the night, they hook together as a sleep pad outside the car. They're better than any Therm-A-Rest pad.

I also found that those rain-guard things that clip on the top of your window frame are great for ventilation if it's raining. I have them only on the back doors. Sewed up some no-see-um netting bags that hang over the back doors. See the pix.

Again, don't listen to idiots who think you are required to stay at a Hilton because of the car you drive. I have the Lexus because it's a good size, comfortable, and reliable. Not to impress anyone. The little extra clearance and all-wheel drive is nice, too. Believe me, it'll reliably go anywhere you could safely tow a fifth-wheel camper to, for goodness sake. And a lot more places a fifth-wheel couldn't dream of going. It's my main vehicle, and most of the time, i'm commuting back and forth >100 miles to work, and happy to not drive a behemoth camper van or jacked up 10MPG dually pickup for that. Don't think i've ever stayed at a Hilton in my life... or had a car-payment either, come to think of it. Wonder if those are related?

Be happy in your own camper-car.
The following 3 users liked this post by FJ40RX350:
Clutchless (10-13-22), Stoodo (10-12-22), tqh (10-17-22)