RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Installing Sub-woofer & Amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-24 | 12:21 PM
Gloomis
5th Gear

Default Help!

Originally Posted by buzman
Hello All,

New to the forum but would like to share some information on hooking up a subwoofer and amp in 2011 RX350 while still keeping stock head unit and speakers. I used an adapter from Auto-Zone for the remote turn on for the amp(it cost $5-6). It allowed me to remove the Cigarette lighter fuse and plug a lead into it still utilizing the cigarette lighter but, ALSO supplying a lead wire to attach to. It has 2 fuses on it so they are both protected(15 amps each). I tapped into the subwoofer wires directly from the factory sub(Non-ML). The wires going into the factory sub are Red, blue and 2 whites. Both the red and blue wires are positive "+" while the whites are obviously negatives "-". I did not have to remove seats to get to these wires(where the factory amp is located). They are very easily accessible from the back of the vehicle where the spare tire rests. Just lift up on the handle to the spare and remove the 2 recessed holders(Sub is on left side).
The amp I used is a Rockford-Fosgate which has "High Pass Leads" on it. There was no need to buy an LOC to connect RCAs. I hope this helps out anyone tackling this project.
Do you have a picture of the harness that you tapped the subwoofer blue/red and white wires? I have the same 2011 RX350 non ML and want to add a subwoofer. Crutchfield gave me the below for the vehicle but it's not the same wiring colors?

Crutchfield 2011, RX350

Their chart does have the front/rear colors right as I did find those to be correct.

Last edited by Gloomis; 07-13-24 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-13-24 | 02:22 PM
Clutchless

Gloomis - FYI - buzman posted 3 times in 2017 and has not been back since then. You should not expect a response from them although someone else may try to help. It appears you already know how to search. You may also want to check out the audio forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lectronics-12/
Old 07-13-24 | 04:01 PM
Gloomis
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Gloomis - FYI - buzman posted 3 times in 2017 and has not been back since then. You should not expect a response from them although someone else may try to help. It appears you already know how to search. You may also want to check out the audio forum. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lectronics-12/
Thanks. I have looked in the forms already and found nothing. 😕

I am posting in hopes someone knows. 😊

Thank you kindly
Old 07-15-24 | 03:01 PM
Clutchless

It may attract more attention to start a new thread rather than revive an old one in which most of the posters are no longer members.
The following users liked this post:
Gloomis (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24 | 06:40 PM
Gloomis
5th Gear

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It may attract more attention to start a new thread rather than revive an old one in which most of the posters are no longer members.
Will do. 😊
Old 07-15-24 | 06:47 PM
Gloomis
5th Gear

Default Subwoofer Adding In

Greetings,

I have a 2011, RX350 non Mark Levenson. I tapped the rear speakers (using high-level amp inputs) but the sub output is low and not impactfull. I think I need to tap the sub lines instead. Does anyone know what lines they should be and on what harness they are located on? I'm getting mixed info and what lines to use. 😕

Thank you kindly 😊
Old 07-16-24 | 08:27 AM
salimshah

In pursuit of perfection. So you are trying to improve on the enviable ML system or just modifying to your taste.

If you tap off the rear speakers, the low frequencies [for the additional sub] are already rolled off. I would suggest tap off the installed sub-speaker.

I have not messed with 3rd gen RX audio system, but classically Lexus runs pre-levels in their unique and non-stanrdard way. Share what you find out.

Salim
Old 07-23-24 | 02:44 PM
Gloomis
5th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
In pursuit of perfection. So you are trying to improve on the enviable ML system or just modifying to your taste.

If you tap off the rear speakers, the low frequencies [for the additional sub] are already rolled off. I would suggest tap off the installed sub-speaker.

I have not messed with 3rd gen RX audio system, but classically Lexus runs pre-levels in their unique and non-stanrdard way. Share what you find out.

Salim
Hi,

Well I tapped the rear speakers and the output on the sub is WAY too low being a true 300W RMS amp from Cerwin Vega. I'm am looking for the sub lines but not sure on what harness it's on. I know the colors but there is more than one red and black?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by Gloomis; 07-23-24 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-23-24 | 11:40 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Gloomis
Hi,

Well I tapped the rear speakers and the output on the sub is WAY too low being a true 300W RMS amp from Cerwin Vega. I'm am looking for the sub lines but not sure on what harness it's on. I know the colors but there is more than one red and black?

Thank you kindly.
Low frequencies are filtered out and do not go the rear [and other] speakers and are sent and amplified by the installed sub-amp. This filtering allows better reproduction of mid frequencies by the rear speakers, but when you tap the rear speakers wires there are no low-frequency signal.

You need to tap full range audio either at pre-level or at the sub-speaker.

See if you can get hold of circuit diagram. Toyota pay per use service TIS is one such source. You can also post in the Club Lexus special interest group which is dedicated to audio.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Gloomis (07-24-24)