RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Are these halogen or hid headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 04:06 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these halogen or hid headlights?

If they are halogen, could I simply replace the assemblies with the HID/LED assemblies or is there more to it than it?

Also does anyone know which halogen bulbs are the brightest/whitest? Are there any other differences besides light output/efficiency that the HID package offers that makes it superior to a base assembly? I'm not sure if i really need or how great the HID package is and am not sure if my vehicle has it.
Old 04-04-17, 05:31 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

If light is on the yellow side they are halogen. If light is white with a hint of blue they are HID.
Old 04-04-17, 01:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

hsmac:

HID require self leveling mechanism but lot of after market just install the ballast and the bulb in the regular reflector. A long while back I did not want o pay extra for HIDs but Lexus bundles them and I do not regret getting them.

When you turn the headlights on, the HIDs tend to move the bright spot till they stabilize in a fraction of a second.

If I am not mistaken, the choices are Bi-Xenon or halogens or the latest craze is LED.

If I was to retrofit, I would select LED but make sure they do not suffer from shadow problem. [shadow is by nature of construction .. some have more and some have less]

Talking about light sources, not only how the electrical energy is converted into Light, the projectors (lens and reflector and bulb holder) all play important role in how the light comes out ... how it spots and how it spreads on the road ahead and where it cuts off [prevents blinding the oncoming driver]. Majority of the consumer, just focus on the light spectrum .. how it appears to them ,, yellow-gold, true sunlight -- more shift to blue light etc. I never converted my RX300 to HIDs and good old halogens functioned just fine.

I would suggest visiting Lexus dealership with the vin number to get a dump on the features that came with your vehicle as it rolled out of the factory and the pre-delivery add ons done to it.

Salim
Old 04-04-17, 09:58 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
hsmac:

HID require self leveling mechanism but lot of after market just install the ballast and the bulb in the regular reflector. A long while back I did not want o pay extra for HIDs but Lexus bundles them and I do not regret getting them.

When you turn the headlights on, the HIDs tend to move the bright spot till they stabilize in a fraction of a second.

If I am not mistaken, the choices are Bi-Xenon or halogens or the latest craze is LED.

If I was to retrofit, I would select LED but make sure they do not suffer from shadow problem. [shadow is by nature of construction .. some have more and some have less]

Talking about light sources, not only how the electrical energy is converted into Light, the projectors (lens and reflector and bulb holder) all play important role in how the light comes out ... how it spots and how it spreads on the road ahead and where it cuts off [prevents blinding the oncoming driver]. Majority of the consumer, just focus on the light spectrum .. how it appears to them ,, yellow-gold, true sunlight -- more shift to blue light etc. I never converted my RX300 to HIDs and good old halogens functioned just fine.

I would suggest visiting Lexus dealership with the vin number to get a dump on the features that came with your vehicle as it rolled out of the factory and the pre-delivery add ons done to it.

Salim
Salim, you are everywhere! Nice to know there's a knowledgeable expert who will be able to help with future questions about our new rx.

We could always retrofit but then the time, risk, and knowing that the vehicle was not factory manufactured seems like an emotional hurdle when we could just purchase a vehicle that came with the lights. Sounds like many are also saying that conversion kits aren't good and possibly dangerous. Since less 350's com with led's, that might seem like a more worthwhile endeavor, though I'm not sure if changing to HID or LED would work properly with the computer system? Is it just as simple as removing the assembly and plugging the new one?

I'll try asking the dealer for the factory specs. I didn't know this was possible. I've learned that the majority of used car listings have some kind of error so i'm hopeful that the one we requested has much more than the page claims.
Old 04-04-17, 11:25 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
Salim, you are everywhere! Nice to know there's a knowledgeable expert who will be able to help with future questions about our new rx.
snip ... edit
I am new to RX 3rd Gen. So I am learning here. I hang up my moderator cap when I am in 3rd gen forum.

Knowledgeable expert! ha ha [I do humbly thank you]. Remember my advice is worth the money I get for it.

Being every where ... lets see GS400 (2nd gen), RX300 first gen, SC400 1st gen, IS250 and now RX450H ... almost every where.

Can you share if you are buying from Lexus dealership? If yes they should print out the service history records and get you the build configuration print out. It does not get printed as the window sticker, but has all the information.

Salim
Old 04-04-17, 11:59 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am new to RX 3rd Gen. So I am learning here. I hang up my moderator cap when I am in 3rd gen forum.

Knowledgeable expert! ha ha [I do humbly thank you]. Remember my advice is worth the money I get for it.

Being every where ... lets see GS400 (2nd gen), RX300 first gen, SC400 1st gen, IS250 and now RX450H ... almost every where.

Can you share if you are buying from Lexus dealership? If yes they should print out the service history records and get you the build configuration print out. It does not get printed as the window sticker, but has all the information.

Salim
honestly i trust the people here more than i do a random local mechanic. and your advice is worth much much more than what i've paid you hope i can return the favor someday.

we requested transfer from carmax, so not sure which actual lexus dealership (if that's important). i plan on calling someone at lexus to find out if it's possible to get the specs.
Old 04-05-17, 12:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Our 2013 RX450h came with HID with F Sport package. But none of the RX NO MATTER HOW OPTIONED CAME WITH ONLY HALOGEN FOGS.

So I took out the halogen fogs and popped in LEDs. H11. No errors and no problems going about 3+ years now. I couldn't match the color of the LEDs (6500K) fogs to the OEM HIDs. Maybe now there are more choices with the newer (3rd gen) LEDs with various colors?

If they are halogen, could I simply replace the assemblies with the HID/LED assemblies or is there more to it than it?

Also does anyone know which halogen bulbs are the brightest/whitest? Are there any other differences besides light output/efficiency that the HID package offers that makes it superior to a base assembly? I'm not sure if i really need or how great the HID package is and am not sure if my vehicle has it.
Old 04-05-17, 12:49 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I would recommend just going to the nearest Lexus dealer with your new RX and explain to them you would like to get a printout of it's service history and what the car came with when sold as new. Any good customer service oriented dealer should be very happy to talk with you, a potential new customer for it's service department and further trade in customer and a new Lexus vehicles customer!!

​​​​​​If they​ refuse to help you, then complain loudly to Lexus HQ toll free number and ask to be referred to another Lexus dealer. Trust me, THEY WILL HELP YOU.

honestly i trust the people here more than i do a random local mechanic. and your advice is worth much much more than what i've paid you hope i can return the favor someday.

we requested transfer from carmax, so not sure which actual lexus dealership (if that's important). i plan on calling someone at lexus to find out if it's possible to get the specs.

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-05-17 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-05-17, 01:09 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would recommend just going to the nearest Lexus dealer with your new RX and explain to then you would like to get a printout of it's service history and what the car came with when sold as new. Any good customer service oriented dealer should be very happy to talk with you, a potential new customer for it's service department and further trade in customer and a new Lexus vehicles customer!!

​​​​​​If they​ refuse to help you, then complain loudly to Lexus HQ toll free number and ask to be referred to another Lexus dealer. Trust me, THEY WILL HELP YOU.
so they have the build configurations for all their vehicles? i think i'll try calling first. thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-17, 02:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

An authorized Lexus dealer should have access to its parent company's database. All they need is your VIN numbers. What's an authorized Lexus dealer who is unable to access this information? After all, this type of information is often needed to properly service your Lexus.

With my prior experience, it's always better to show up in person for this purpose bc it shows you have the car in front of them and not just some random caller maybe calling about some car advertised for sale. If you are too far away from a Lexus dealership, then maybe trying to call. But if they are busy, they may just simply say to you to come in. By asking you to come in, they are not refusing you, but in a sense they may just say they are trying to get the most accurate information to you on your Lexus.

I've done this before where I test drive a used car from a dealer I had done business with in the past but not that "brand" (test drive a Lexus from an MB dealer). I just drive the Lexus from the MB dealer down the street to the Lexus dealership and ask for the information I needed. Each and every time no problems and excellent happy experience.

so they have the build configurations for all their vehicles? i think i'll try calling first. thanks for your help!

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-05-17 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-05-17, 06:14 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Is your RX an F-Sport? It looks like a F-Sport bumper with a standard RX grill.
Old 04-05-17, 09:26 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Is your RX an F-Sport? It looks like a F-Sport bumper with a standard RX grill.
That looks to be an RX with the Sport Appearance Package, which includes the F Sport bumper.
Old 04-05-17, 09:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

JT4 is probably right. The RX450h F-Sport wasn't available in the US on the 3rd gen. There's also the sport package. That had a different suspension and darker rims too. I had it on my '10 RX450h.

hsmac, according to the 2013 RX brochure, HID headlights were part of the comfort package. It also comes with rain sensing wipers and heated/ventilated seats. If you have those, then the headlights should be HID. I say 'should be' because sometimes builds are based on popular preferred options in certain areas. But I doubt that's the case if you have all the other features in the package.
Old 04-06-17, 03:59 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My 2013 RX450h has the optional FSport front bumper and HID plus 19 inch rims along with some other "stuff" that was part of the "FSport Appearance Package". The overall MRSP was up there and therefore sat on the dealer's lot for a long time. After some HEAVY discounts, we pulled the trigger. We enjoy it very much. Drives better and "tighter" versus the regular RX350.

Originally Posted by kitlz
JT4 is probably right. The RX450h F-Sport wasn't available in the US on the 3rd gen. There's also the sport package. That had a different suspension and darker rims too. I had it on my '10 RX450h.

hsmac, according to the 2013 RX brochure, HID headlights were part of the comfort package. It also comes with rain sensing wipers and heated/ventilated seats. If you have those, then the headlights should be HID. I say 'should be' because sometimes builds are based on popular preferred options in certain areas. But I doubt that's the case if you have all the other features in the package.
Old 04-06-17, 04:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

lexusrus, take a look at the brochure link in my post. It's called the 'sport appearance package.' HID headlights are part of the comfort package.

Quick Reply: Are these halogen or hid headlights?