RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bleeding Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-23, 12:57 PM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

6 year old thread lol.

What's all this talk about Techstream? Should I bleed these brakes by myself with a <vacuum pump from harbor freight> or have it done at the dealership? I was on the search for a brake bleed sequence but ended up going down a rabbit hole about Techstream.

I'm only asking because the majority of cars are PR,DR,PF,DF, but it's different on our Honda Odyssey,DF,PF,PR,DR, due to the ABS module. I was hoping to get some clarification on the RX350 bleed sequence directly from the Lexus repair manual if anyone has access to that. If not, what sequence has been working for y'all? Thanks

Edit: 2011 RX350

Last edited by Yahmei; 09-06-23 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-06-23, 05:39 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,160 Likes on 990 Posts

I have done it with a vacuum bleeder that pulls the fluid trhough without using Techstream. I think it works just fine. Somewhere I read that if you do it that way to bleed the ABS to then drive on a dirt road and hit the brakes hard to activate the ABS to get the fluid moving through it and then bleed them again, but that is a lot of work. I have bled them with the rear wheels first, but later read as you did that bleeding the front side closests to the ABS first helps get more fluid out on the inital bleed. I have done it that way too and cannot tell if it makes any difference.

I think it does not matter what order you bleed them in as long as you bleed it enough to see fresh brake fluid.

Techstream will activate the ABS and probably the electronic brake force thing if fluid goes through it too while you bleed the brakes. Almost every professional shop has access to it or similar software to do the same thing bleeding the brakes.
Old 09-06-23, 09:48 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

The order really is based on farthest from the reservoir should be the first one to bleed. Assuming 80% of the fluid exists in the farthest slave. So when you bleed this, most of the air will be bled. Then the next and so on. 450H has the reservoir on the front passenger side so the farthest for me is the driver rear.

The ABS apparatus adds additional control in the middle. With tech stream or equivalent, you will be able to open all passages for bleeding.

When folks ask about bleeding, my question to them is why do you want to bleed? Did you introduce air in the system.And at which location. If you are trying to service and replace the old fluid, just take care the you do not introduce air and you would not need to bleed for air in the system. You can do without techstream and so what if 2% is left behind.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 08:14 AM
Yahmei
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I have done it with a vacuum bleeder that pulls the fluid trhough without using Techstream. I think it works just fine. Somewhere I read that if you do it that way to bleed the ABS to then drive on a dirt road and hit the brakes hard to activate the ABS to get the fluid moving through it and then bleed them again, but that is a lot of work. I have bled them with the rear wheels first, but later read as you did that bleeding the front side closests to the ABS first helps get more fluid out on the inital bleed. I have done it that way too and cannot tell if it makes any difference.

I think it does not matter what order you bleed them in as long as you bleed it enough to see fresh brake fluid.

Techstream will activate the ABS and probably the electronic brake force thing if fluid goes through it too while you bleed the brakes. Almost every professional shop has access to it or similar software to do the same thing bleeding the brakes.
Copy, thanks for clearing that up. Hypothetically, wouldn't the fluid in the ABS module dilute itself with the rest of the freshly added fluid? I'm having a hard time believing that the fluid stays stagnant in the abs module until it kicks in.

I could definitely see there being an issue not being able to get air out of the ABS unit if is accidentally introduced by not topping off the reservoir though.

Originally Posted by salimshah
The order really is based on farthest from the reservoir should be the first one to bleed. Assuming 80% of the fluid exists in the farthest slave. So when you bleed this, most of the air will be bled. Then the next and so on.

Salim
Generally speaking, yes, the brake bleed process usually starts from the corner furthest from the brake reservoir. I was asking for clarification from an official document like the Lexus service manual since Honda Odysseys have been going clockwise from the corner closest to the brake reservoir.

Originally Posted by salimshah

When folks ask about bleeding, my question to them is why do you want to bleed? Did you introduce air in the system.And at which location. If you are trying to service and replace the old fluid, just take care the you do not introduce air and you would not need to bleed for air in the system. You can do without techstream and so what if 2% is left behind.

Salim
Right, I was thinking the same. A 98% brake fluid flush is better than the brake fluid I have in there right now.

Last edited by Yahmei; 09-07-23 at 08:19 AM.